Thread: I bought some cymbals last weekend - share them with you

User Info Menu

Default I bought some cymbals last weekend - share them with you

Hi all.

I posted my new drum kit on a different thread and I put photos of my cymbals there. But, I thought, since this is the cymbal site, I should put them here. There are 12 cymbals (13 if you count the Hats as two). I can post close-ups of the other 8 cymbals if anyone's interested (and descriptions as well).

User Info Menu

Quite beautiful and impressive.........

User Info Menu

Nice. I was thinking of getting some Istanbuls when i have the money. Worth the money you think?

User Info Menu

Wow! That's an impressive set up Kona. I have never had a chance to play with any of the Istanbuls, but I have heard great things about them. Let us know how you like 'em!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Kona, I never get tired of seeing the pics of your new cymbals! Not only are the cymbals beautiful looking, the colors in the pics really add to the beauty of the cymbals. Really nice job of taking the pics!

BTW, since I had the chance to ping a few Istanbuls at a local music store the other day, I can certainly say that you have got cymbals that sound as good as they look!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Those cymbals looks goood
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Nice pie's man

User Info Menu

Default Well worth the money I spent that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    Nice. I was thinking of getting some Istanbuls when i have the money. Worth the money you think?

I haven't set them up yet - still buying hardware. I spent time listening to all of them - some aren't matched to the set because I wanted some collector cymbals. I also bought one Alchemy 10 inch Bell - really nice - just as an add-on.

The MSRP for all my cymbals is over $4,000, however; I could have bought them on-line for about $2,600. I paid just under $1,700 - so I got a "smashing" good deal I'd say.

User Info Menu

Default Love your avitar!

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    Wow! That's an impressive set up Kona. I have never had a chance to play with any of the Istanbuls, but I have heard great things about them. Let us know how you like 'em!
    They're a b20 formula I think with some silver, maybe tin or zinc. They sound incredibly beautiful - warm tones - medium wash, no irritating ring, I think those are the "cymbal" terms to start to describe them.

When I get my hardware and set them up I'll post photos with some comments on how they sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I got a "smashing" good deal I'd say.
    Now that's a good turn of a phrase, Kona!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Default Thanks for the nice comments

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Kona, I never get tired of seeing the pics of your new cymbals! Not only are the cymbals beautiful looking, the colors in the pics really add to the beauty of the cymbals. Really nice job of taking the pics!

BTW, since I had the chance to ping a few Istanbuls at a local music store the other day, I can certainly say that you have got cymbals that sound as good as they look!

I shopped around a lot before I bought these. There are lots of nice sounding cymbals out there. It was really confusing for me because I wanted to buy all my cymbals in one location, but couldn't find that one location with everything I was looking for - until I started to look at Istanbul cymbals:

I was able to go to the supplier and he just kept hauling out cymbals, putting them on branches of a cymbal tree and then he would help me match them up. No pressure - It was easy, well pretty easy anyway, compared to all the drum stores I had been in over the summer. It was just a good feeling and the supplier, Noel at Hearbeat Percussion, was such a pleasure to deal with.

User Info Menu

Default Thanks

Thankyou for all of your nice comments.

I just got a room cleaned completely out today and put all my drum stuff in there for the first time. I have a large set of Valje congas and matching bongos that I bought new in 1977 - they look really nice in there with my new Gretsch 6pc Purewood African Mahogany shellpack.

I'm still waiting for a lot of hardware items to come: I just ordered a Axis Longboard dbl pedal A-L2 and a 2 leg Yamaha Hat stand HS-1100, some Girbraltar cymbal arms for the hybrid rack (9813DP Tom Stands and 30" rack tubes with Super Road Multi Clamps) I'm putting together.

So - hopefully before Christmas I will have everything together - and post some photos. I'm a little new at all this so it's coming together slowly (and expensively I might add). It's a retirement gift to myself - gotta have some fun. And - I keep telling my wife "it's cheaper than a new Mustang Convertible!"
    Last edited by kona; 10-21-2007 at 03:57 AM. Reason: adding something

User Info Menu

Default so true

It's a retirement gift to myself - gotta have some fun. And - I keep telling my wife "it's cheaper than a new Mustang Convertible!"
    congrad to your retirement

well deserve and nice cymbal too

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Default Just want to share with you how it came about for me to get these drums.

I'm retireing in two years - that's close enough for me. I played drums many years before I met my wife. I told my beautiful and understanding wife that I thought I'd like to buy a drum kit as a retirement gift to myself in a few years.

I started looking around and was really surprised how expensive drums got (since the mid 70's when I stopped playing ).

I thinking I would like a Gretsch USA Custom shellpack. I was looking around on the net and saw a video add for the Purewood Mahogany shellpack and something about them struck me. They were less than half the cost of the Customs because they're built offshore, but that's not why I liked them - I really liked the look of them and they were Gretsch - like I wanted.

The only problem was they weren't going to be around in 2 years (when I retire). They're a "limited edition" - only 60 kits world-wide were built (60 each of the 4pc and 6pc - I opted for the 6pc). I contacted the retailer, he contacted the Canadain Gretsch rep. and I was told there were only maybe two shellpacks available for me to buy and they would have to go to the factory to get one. I told my wife this and we both agreed that since the wern't going to be available in two years that I should buy now.

That was this past May - they took 4 months to arrive.

Now I'm still in the process of buying the "bits and Pieces" to set them up. I packed them away a few weeks ago, but took them out again yesterday and set them up in a newly dedicated drums only room.

Basically I want to be surrounded by my purcussion stuff (and my fam of course) in my "sunset years".

User Info Menu

I like your thinking - family and drums! I can't think of any downside to this at all. Especially if you keep them in that other! Congrats on seeing your dreams becoem reality, Kona!