Thread: I don't have a drum set yet.

User Info Menu

Default I don't have a drum set yet.

I don't have a drum set yet, but should have enough saved in about 6 months. I have picked up a practice pad and have begun practicing a few rudiments. Does anybody have any tips or thoughts of things i can do to help me be ready once i finally get my kit?

User Info Menu

Default Re: I don't have a drum set yet.

You might find a metal object that sounds like a hi hat when struck. That would give you two sounds and you could learn samba, cha cha and some other rhythms.

Find a used rug to put under the drum kit.

Even with a drum kit available I still use the practice pad a lot.

User Info Menu

I've been playing for over fifty years, and the biggest single regret I have is that I never learned the drum rudiments. You're getting off on the right foot. You can use the rudiments to do incredible things across the drumset.

Second biggest regret: not learning to read music. I can read very basic drum music, though, and that has been a great help in advancing.

So, learn to read drum music, and learn the rudiments. Between those two skills you can pick up or download instructional material that will quickly ease you into the drumset.

From that point on it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice.

One more point- never forget to have fun!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Plan on a good spot that will help with acoustics. Rugs, carpeted area, etc.

User Info Menu

Play the rudiments with your hands, feet, and between your hands and feet...
    Example... using the paradiddle

RF RH RF RF RH RF RH RH

Little coordination exercises like this transfer nicely to the drum set and all the much better when you have one practice pad for your stick and one for your pedals

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the advise. I can feel I am getting just a tad better everyday. I just can not wait until I get to see what happens when i sit down behind a set.

User Info Menu

Check your local library for drum instruction books. I discovered that the library near me has a nice collection of all kinds of music books and instructional CD's.

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat Marsh!

At the top right of the screen, you'll see DRUM LINKS. There are helpful links to drum tips, rudiments, books, DVDs and more.

Your best source is right here at Drum Chat. It is chock full of information and a ton of very knowledgeable drummers. We've got a nice family here. You can ask any and all questions without fear of flaming.