Thread: Can I ask a question that no one seems to want to ask or answer?

User Info Menu

Default Can I ask a question that no one seems to want to ask or answer?

Ok, I am blown away by every set of birch Sakae drums I've run across on YouTube. I will never be able to afford one of these, and even if I could, I probably would spend that kind of money something else. I'm not terribly impressed by the maple, but those birch drums blow me away.

From what I understand, Sakae drums are currently made in a former Yamaha drum factory with former upper-end Yamaha builders. Is this true? I know that there's some sort of relationship between Sakae and older, upper-end Yamaha drums. Anyone know anything about this?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Can I ask a question that no one seems to want to ask or answer?

I really don't want to answer.

Ha, just kidding. I have no clue....

Tex

User Info Menu

I think Sakae used to make the high-end drums for Yamaha (bar the recording customs I think), but then decided to split from Yamaha and sell drums under their own name.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

One thing I have to say about them is the rim mounts are on the bottom lugs. I tried this and it KILLS resonance.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

yeah I checked those mounts and I agree. I think there is a way you could change them around,I know I could figure it out. And yes Sakae is a 88 year old company.

User Info Menu

Trust me, their mounts work well and do not need to be reconfigured. They are designed for the bottom and are not simply upsidedown RIMS.

Sakae was the maker of Yamaha drums for decades. Yamaha decided to move production to China and Sakae did not care to move. Yamaha left Sakae with all the tools and machinery. So now they are producing drums under their own name. They are definitely premium instruments.

User Info Menu

When I was a kid growing up playing drums :

Yamaha was a motorcylcle;

Ludwig and Gretsch were drums;

And Sakae was my Mother's Siamese cat.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Anyways, I like the looks of the bottom mounted toms. It lets you see more of the beautiful drum.

User Info Menu

Sakae built yamaha's drums until about a year ago when they split and Yamaha went to China to build their drums.

User Info Menu

I don't ask these questions b/c I don't know what any of this means. LOL.

User Info Menu

Trust me those Birch kits sound even better in person than recorded if you can believe that. I also agree the mounts on the bottom are designed that way and are much different than just turning a conventional rim mount upside down.

I have always wanted a DW collectors as my forever kit but after listening to these Sakae Birch almighty's in person a few times I am seriously 2nd guessing that. They are gorgeous as well with the exception of the badges but badges have never and will never stop me from buying a kit.

IMO these almighty's sound even better than recording customs.
    Last edited by MDK; 02-19-2015 at 02:15 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

The construction looks identical to my Recording Customs, but my RC toms never sang like that! Wow. I'd spend all my time playing runs across the toms and nothing else.

Thanks for mentioning these. I'd never listened to them before.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post

Yep. And Kawasakis, Hondas and Suzukis were motorcycles....not cars, or trucks, or lawn mowers, or heavy construction equipment.....or car stereos, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Sakae used to make Yamaha's shells. They broke off to make their own company. Sakae is basically remaking the yamaha recording custom.. but i agree, it sounds wicked good
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Lots of drums sound wicked good. The drum market has to reach a saturation mark sometime if it hasn't already. They need a catchier name.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Did the yamaha recording customs come with or without re-rings?

User Info Menu

I never seen any with re-rings but I have only seen about 3 kits total. These almighty's do not have re-rings either.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

The Troligy in Mint Oyster Pearl is a lot very looking kit.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I never seen any with re-rings but I have only seen about 3 kits total. These almighty's do not have re-rings either.
    For some reason I thought they did, but doing a few google searches I have found that...

User Info Menu

Last edited by cc1918; 02-20-2015 at 03:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Did the yamaha recording customs come with or without re-rings?
    I was a Recording Custom owner and devotee for a number of years. No re-rings.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

if the people making the Sakae's are the former Yamaha craftsman then I believe every word. RC's or not. My TTC bass drums are absolute cannons under fire. I'd stand them up against anything being made today.

Last edited by slinky; 02-22-2015 at 11:20 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN