Thread: snare sound

User Info Menu

Default snare sound

My snare drum rattle everytime I hit another tom. Is there anyway to fix that so the sanre only rattles when I hit it?thanks
    Band: System of a Down
    Song: Atwa

Current: four way independence

User Info Menu

Default Tape

try a piece of tape on the snare only first if that doesn't stop it press the tape over the snare onto the head also. Works for me.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

The cause of the problem is that your snare and the tom are tuned too close together. If 2 drums that are near each other are close to the same pitch, when you hit one, the vibration from that drum will carry over to the other drum. Change the tuning of either one to a higher or lower pitch and the snare buzz will go away.

If you want to keep them tuned where they are, your going to have to use some tape like 2slow said. You could also use Moon Gels or O-Rings, but they are going to change the overall sound and won't really fix the problem, just cover it up a little.

Hope that helped!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Does anyone here have there drums tuned to their desired sound and not have a slight snare buzz. Whenever I have tuned my drums the snare buzz is always there at different levels but unless the snares are off, there will always be a slight snare buzz!!

User Info Menu

try tightening the snare wires, but don't over tighten it.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    Does anyone here have there drums tuned to their desired sound and not have a slight snare buzz.
    Mine never buzzes. But I've been playing a lot of years and have expensive gear. It takes awhile to learn all the ins and outs of drum tuning.

Try also tuning the bottom head a bit tighter.

User Info Menu

So it is possible then. Well something I need to do is dedicate a couple of hours to just taking all my toms and snare off and playing around with the tuning. Take the heads off and back on and experiment with all the sounds.
    My challenge will be to get rid of the snare buzz completely but I wont be too disheartened if I dont succeed yet coz I have not the experience as drummer

User Info Menu

mine buzzed. then i tuned my toms about a turn higher and now its gone...

User Info Menu

I tightened the front skin of my bass drum earlier. Made a big difference to the buzz and the bass drum still sounds nice

User Info Menu

its nice when you get ur drums not to buzz. because it bring the real sound out each drum

User Info Menu

it took me forever to get the buzz out of my standard snare i use a 42 strand set of wires on it so any other noise, like that of a gituar makes it rattle like crazy. it took a cupple of hours to tune it so that it was ware i wanted it and not rattley.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound