Thread: Should I? (Another E-kit question)

User Info Menu

Default Should I? (Another E-kit question)

I just had my wisdom teeth pulled this morning so this might be the drugs talking, but I was consider selling my acoustic set (PDP 8 piece double drive poplar) and buying a mid range E-kit since I will be moving into the city later this year and my PDP is worthless if I cant play it.

I've only really looked at Roland because that's the only one I really know besides Yahmaha. I really like the TD-15KV because it has the real hi hat stand and all mesh heads, I would prefer the price range to be $1,000 to $1,500 with all mesh heads except the bass drum. I think I could convince someone to pay around around $600 for my shell pack since it is in pretty good condition but it is a PDP so the resale value might not be that good, I would also sell my B8pro 18" China, B8pro 10" splash, my 13" B8 hi hat with its stand and depending on the buyer I could see $250 for those since the china and splash are practically unused, I have no clue what I would do about brains but this is in the short term going to be for practice only as I will be selling my entire hand percussion set up (don't freak out its not much) to buy a high end Cajon that I would preform with my friends with.

Anyway let me know what you guys think, and if I'm about to make a huge mistake please don't mince words! I won't be making this decision for a few months yet so I'm just starting the research process, also size constraints are not an issue, if you've ever visited Iowa you would know we have big houses (and apartments) on the cheap side compared to nationally,it's the land that's expensive here.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Should I? (Another E-kit question)

I think buying an e kit would be a good idea. Personally, I would ask more for the shell pack if you're going to sell it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I don't like the idea of selling the acoustic drum kit.

If you are just looking to practice on something then an inexpensive ekit works fine. At least for me it does.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I think buying an e kit would be a good idea. Personally, I would ask more for the shell pack if you're going to sell it.
    Well I bought it for about $800 new and they're selling for $750 new today (I may have gotten a little ripped off as well), I almost think $600 might be too much but I will be asking $700. I've always wanted a Catalina Maple for my acoustic, I wish I had spent the money on one instead of buying this darn poplar kit when I had the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    I don't like the idea of selling the acoustic drum kit.
    I don't really like the idea myself and in no way do I intend to stay in a one kit situation for too long, but as it stands I'm not using the acoustic due to various reasons like: my dad is working from home a lot more often now, when sickness is in the house I'm not allowed to practice, a new neighbor moved in who has Polio and loud noises don't help her rest so I have further constrained my practice time to make her more comfortable, and my limited practice time is usually spent tuning (I live in 200 year old Victorian with poor insulation). Moving into the city for college I think my situation would get much worse since I would be living in an apartment off campus.

As I said I don't intend to stay in a one kit situation for too long, if I ever get some extra money rolling my way(which is a possibility) I would by a Catalina Maple shell pack along with a new hat (I will not be selling my Sabian APX crash, my B8pro ride, or their respective stands)

If you are just looking to practice on something then an inexpensive ekit works fine. At least for me it does.
    Do you have any suggestions for finding an inexpensive E-kit? I can't find anything that's very decent for under $1,000(I havent looked well either) I could live with just the mesh head on the snare if i had too. I haven't looked at used kits in my area yet but I'm not really confident to know what I'm getting when I look at them.

My apologies for grammatical errors, pain meds aren't working as well today and I don't feel like proofreading.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

I'd look at kits (probably Yamaha or Roland) in the new USA $ 500 (or used $ 250) price range. I'm more concerned about the playability of the pedals than the rubber drum heads. Even at a high price level an ekit isn't the same as an acoustic kit. That's why I wouldn't put a lot of money into an ekit.

Are there drum kits / music rooms at college that you can use?

User Info Menu

I'd look at kits (probably Yamaha or Roland) in the new USA $ 500 (or used $ 250) price range.
    I looked at the TD4KP (the portable folding Roland) and that's the only kit I like close to that price range, every other kit looks like you get what you paid for and I'm a little apprehensive about that.

I'm more concerned about the playability of the pedals than the rubber drum heads.
    I'd be using my Iron cobra double pedal if I get an E-kit, the difference in rebound off of the rubber "bass drum" pads when I've played E-kits has never been noticeable to me. The hi-hat stands on the other hand I have noticed a difference and a real hi-hat stand would be important if I went the E-kit route

Even at a high price level an ekit isn't the same as an acoustic kit. That's why I wouldn't put a lot of money into an ekit.
    I'm not trying to get an acoustic replica exactly I need a low maintenance, no noise practice set to use at my appartment that won't tick off the neighbors.

Are there drum kits / music rooms at college that you can use?
    Yes but they're reserved for music majors and I would be an engineering major, the church I would be going to does have a set I might be able to use but I'm not sure if the church owns the set or if the drummers father (the church drummer is 10) does, either way I would probably be playing some services there simply for being the only other drummer at the church.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

I played a Roland TD15-KV set in church last week and was quite impressed. If I am asked to play full time I will need to build a custom preset because I didn't like any of the factory presets, but liked different aspects of several others. The kit I played was the "upgrade" kit.

With that experience in mind, and IF you can get decent prices for your PDP kit and cymbals, I think you would be quite pleased with the Roland. Especially if you are going to be in areas where acoustics are not acceptable.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I would strongly endorse converting your kit to an e-kit. Some options include doing a mesh head conversion with triggers mounted inside or outside (very easy to do) or looking at Aquarian On-Heads as another option. The new on the market (not quite released) NFUZD drums will fit right over your existing drums, just like the Aquarians. Then all you'll need to do is sell your existing cymbals and purchase e-cymbals and a brain. If you go the do it yourself route, there are many examples available around the 'net. If you are tech savvy you can get a cheaper brain and use a laptop and VSTs for sounds. Lots of options.
    Last edited by ThePod; 02-20-2015 at 10:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePod View Post
    I would strongly endorse converting your kit to an e-kit. Some options include doing a mesh head conversion with triggers mounted inside (very easy to do) or looking at Aquarian On-Heads as another option. The new on the market (not quite released) NFUZD drums will fit right over your exciting drums, just like the Aquarians. Then all you'll need to do is sell your existing cymbals and purchase e-cymbals and a brain. If you go the do it yourself route, there are many examples available around the 'net. If you are tech savvy you can get a cheaper brain and use a laptop and VSTs for sounds. Lots of options.
    Great idea! That would be a fun 8 piece e kit!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I would strongly endorse converting your kit to an e-kit. Some options include doing a mesh head conversion with triggers mounted inside or outside (very easy to do) or looking at Aquarian On-Heads as another option. The new on the market (not quite released) NFUZD drums will fit right over your existing drums, just like the Aquarians. Then all you'll need to do is sell your existing cymbals and purchase e-cymbals and a brain. If you go the do it yourself route, there are many examples available around the 'net. If you are tech savvy you can get a cheaper brain and use a laptop and VSTs for sounds. Lots of options.
    I've considered doing that before I just forgot it was an option until you brought it up. When I went to Florida last year the drummer at the church I went to had converted a cheap set into an E-kit, of course he had used premade triggers that just attatched to the mesh heads externally I've got a couple ideas of how I'd do it myself maybe even make my own mesh heads instead of buying them. The thing that's held me back is that I don't particularly like the PDP, there are just too many drums and the smaller toms always have a bad overtone no matter how I tune them so I don't use them, currently I have it set up in a one up one down configuration.

But if I were to go the conversion route I would definitely upgrade(advance sideways) to a Gretsch set. Do you have any suggestions for a decent brain?
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The_Epsicle View Post

But if I were to go the conversion route I would definitely upgrade(advance sideways) to a Gretsch set. Do you have any suggestions for a decent brain?

The best brain on the market right now in my opinion is the 2box Drummit 5 which runs about $1100. If you're looking for something much cheaper but still easy to use and with good sounds I'd go with the Yamaha DTX502 for about $250. If you want to go used, pick up a TD-3 or TD-4 Roland module off of ebay for under $200 and if you have a relatively new laptop then run a VST like Addictive Drums 2 and never look back at the crappy module sounds.

I currently trigger Addictive Drums 2 on my Macbook Air with a TD-6, you can see it in the picture.

For drum heads the Remo SilentStrokes are cheap and work well. I have them on my snare and floor tom.

Yamaha cymbals work just as well as Rolands and are cheaper. Also consider Pintech cymbals they are quite a bit cheaper.

For triggers, I'd had very good success with Quartz Percussions who make everything you need to convert your drums for triggering.

Happy converting. Keep in mind that depending on what you buy you could spend over $1000 when it's all said and done to get the cymbals, module and stuff you need to convert.

User Info Menu

A drum kit that just gathers dust is a useless drum kit. If you're not going to play it, I would consider selling it...maybe keep the cymbals if you really like them.

As far as ekits go, go for either yamaha or roland. I personally find the roland mesh heads too bouncy, but others find the yamaha rubber heads not bouncy enough. Either way, the computers on these kits are quite good, there are lots of features which will improve your abilities as a drummer (measuring your accuracy e.g.). Also, I really hate the interfaces on the lower end models, if you have to change something on the kit, you don't have a screen to show you exactly what you're changing. so for example, if you want to make your snare a djembe, you have to cycle through and test it until you get that sound (as opposed to scrolling through a list and choosing it). Stuff like that might not sound like such a big deal, but ask yourself this question, "do you really want to spend your time learning how to use your ekit?" I certainly would rather just practice
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler
    Also, I really hate the interfaces on the lower end models, if you have to change something on the kit, you don't have a screen to show you exactly what you're changing. so for example, if you want to make your snare a djembe, you have to cycle through and test it until you get that sound (as opposed to scrolling through a list and choosing it). Stuff like that might not sound like such a big deal, but ask yourself this question, "do you really want to spend your time learning how to use your ekit?" I certainly would rather just practice
    Excellent point. The dtx 502 now has an iPad/iPod app which makes the interface interaction nicer (or so the interwebs tell me)

User Info Menu

I strongly recommend you not to sell your acoustic drums but convert them to e-drums. With triggers and some e-cymbals you can get a really satisfied kit. There is truly not a reason to buy a drum module as you can use a drum software like addictive drums which feature realistic sounds with a midi trigger unit. I plan to use this configuration for my current kit.
    Drums Traps A400 with rack
    Cymbals all Meinl
    Raker 14" HH
    Raker 20" heavy and 21" medium Rides
    Raker 16" medium & heavy crashes
    MB10 17" china
    Lightning 10" splash

Hardware: DW 5002 twin pedal, DW 9000 HH stand and Pearl BR-2000 stool, Adam CS-90 x1 cymbal boom stand

User Info Menu

From experience, the PDPs' are a great kit for converting. I converted my 7pc LX kit a while ago and it has been very good to me. I went with a cheap module out of the gate (Roland TD-3) and learned on the fly while building my kit.

As mentioned Quartz makes great complete solutions for DIY, 2 zone with the jack, piezo and cone. On toms and kick drum, a simple L bracket works well, for a snare you'll want to go with something center mounted, if you buy a module that supports positional sensing. There are also some great ready made, all-in-one units that can be installed really quickly if you're not into building your own. I recently switched to using inTrigg internal triggers and I've been really happy with them.

For heads, I used a 3 ply head from BillyBlast; they are cheap and very durable. Remo also makes a decent mesh head now worth looking at; Roland heads are great, but expensive.

As for cymbals. You could convert them as well, there are trigger kits out there in install directly onto your existing cymbals with a simple project box and some clear dampening material to kill the sound.

I would suggest looking up digital drummer magazine and checking out their reviews on heads, triggers and modules. Some really good reading.
    ||Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius||

Pearl Masters Custom - Emerald Mist with gold hardware 12/13/16/22

PDP LX - Cherry Fade
    8/10/12/14/16/22

Zildjian A Custom 16/18/20 1970's 14" New Beat hats
    Sabian 16" Ozone crash

Roland TD-3 and TD-10 A to E Kit.

User Info Menu

Just buy a set of drum/cymbal mute pads, and a nice thick rug---about $100---you can keep your "real" drums, and not piss off the neighbors

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    Just buy a set of drum/cymbal mute pads, and a nice thick rug---about $100---you can keep your "real" drums, and not piss off the neighbors
    I already have a muting set, it works fine for neighbors accrossed the street,but I'll be on the third floor of an appartment complex that also has families with young children and it's not quite enough for that.

Okay guys I think I'm ready to make a decision here, thank you so much for your suggestions I really appreciate it.

I think I'm going to sell the PDP and the cymbals I mentioned, but not for the reasons stated. I will be buying a Gretsch Renown Maple to replace it and will pay a visit to an electronics store and a pet store(I'll do a write up here on DC to explain when I start) my goal is going to be to spend between $800 - $1,000 on a used set and less than $350 on the electronic conversion, I will be making everything except the module(or MIDI trigger unit as suggested by Corsair) myself. I've got some ideas about everything I'm going to do, but I'll flesh it all out once I sell the PDP. Once again thank you guys, you're awesome!
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

Good luck, post a break down of what you got and what you spent on it.

User Info Menu

Good luck, post a break down of what you got and what you spent on it.
    Thanks I'm excited to get started, I'll definitely do that!
    Wear hearing protection.