Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question on tabs

User Info Menu

Default question on tabs

i'm confused about something on some of the tabs i find. i copy part of one so you can see what i'm talking about.

Verse 1
    -------3x------- -------4x-------
    H |x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-|x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-|x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-|
    S |----o-------o---|----o-------o---|----o-------o---|
    B |o-------o-------|o-------o--o----|o-------o-------|

okay you see the -----3x---- and 4x does that mean i play that a total of 3 times? and is it just the section where the bars are start and end? and do i play that little section 3x before i move on to the middle and then 4x part, or do you do play the whole line 3 times?

Shazane Guest

play the first measure 3 times, and the second 4 times, then the third once

If you were to repeat the entire verse that many times it would be noted elsewhere, next to the Verse label or at the end of the tab in a summary.

User Info Menu

cool thanks

it actually posted the dotted lines on top wrong. for the 4x the dotted lines start in the middle of the measure and stops in the middle of the 3rd, so would that mean to play the 2nd and 3rd 4x prob?

Shazane Guest

Well that's wierd... it sounds ok though, to repeat the second and third, more interesting than just repeating the second.

User Info Menu

Yeah that is weird but does make sense to repeat the second and third 4 times

User Info Menu

Drum tabs are often written by inexperienced drummers and they're often wrong. While I won't put tabs down, I will advise to take the time to learn to read real rhythmic theory. You'll never regret it... and you'll probably never use tabs again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Drum tabs are often written by inexperienced drummers and they're often wrong. While I won't put tabs down, I will advise to take the time to learn to read real rhythmic theory. You'll never regret it... and you'll probably never use tabs again.
    I've been looking to possibly take a class in music theory, is that something that would be beneficial?

User Info Menu

what is real rhythmic theory?

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by blahblah9 View Post
    what is real rhythmic theory?
    he means standard notation, sheet music. I don't agree with most of this forum's opinion on tabs, they're good to know because most sheet music costs money and you can tabs for free and they're easier to find because they can just be typed up. The best thing to do of course is to be fluent in both, then you'll be able to play anything put in front of you.

User Info Menu

In my situation, tabs are handy because of availability but a good number of times they sound different from the recording, sometimes partial and sometimes entirely. Recently I downloaded sharp dressed man and the tab sounded different, so I ended figuring it out myself. The disadvantage of traditional sheet music is the availability. there are very few and your favorite ones are most likely not available.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    I've been looking to possibly take a class in music theory, is that something that would be beneficial?
    If you're thinking of taking up a melodic instrument, I would advise it. If you are only going to play drums and not play professionally, your time might be better spent just learning rhythmic theory. Music theory incorporates melody as well as rhythm. Rhythmic theory deals with only the rhythm aspect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shazane View Post
    The best thing to do of course is to be fluent in both, then you'll be able to play anything put in front of you.
    I've been playing for over 20 years professionally. No one has ever put tabs in front of me.

User Info Menu

he means standard notation, sheet music. I don't agree with most of this forum's opinion on tabs, they're good to know because most sheet music costs money and you can tabs for free and they're easier to find because they can just be typed up. The best thing to do of course is to be fluent in both, then you'll be able to play anything put in front of you.
    Im being taught music theory and not tabs,not sure why my instructor went this route but It dont seem to bad

User Info Menu

I've got to say that I find tabs much harder to read than sheet music. I suppose it is because I played clarinet as a kid, but I prefer seeing the rhythms clearly spelled out in notes. I also don't mind the idea of paying for sheet music, because I realize that someone worked hard to create the music, and they deserve to reap the benefit of their hard work, just like anyone else. I'd hate to work an eight hour day and then be told that I would only get paid for 4 hours because some of my labor was being used for free.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

When I look at tabs I also find them some what difficult

User Info Menu

I can read both, and both can get a little confusing.

Tabs can be read both ways, like, having repeat 3x, meaning playing the riff then repeating the bar 3 times. Or Play 3x, so you only play that bar 3 times.

Guitar Pro is a nice program to have as it converts tablature of drum music into sheet music. So I've sort of switched back to using more sheet music.

Although, I'd still learning how to read/write tab was beneficial for me, I wouldn't discourage anyone from learning.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Truth be told (and I've prolly spoke my peace on this subject once before) I would advise, to just listen to the song over and over and over until you learn it.
    Many times you will be able to pick up patterns in the drum parts to a song, and be able to use those patterns to learn a song faster.

For example: If in the Verses of a song the drummer plays a straight 4/4 beat, then you know to play that beat in all the verses.
    Same goes for choruses.
    Then you only have to listen to bridges, solos, breaks, etc.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Right on man! Most of this stuff is not that hard. Just use your ears and emulate what you hear.

Tabs are over-rated. They're like the bastard child of transcription. I liken them to "the lazy man's sheet music" but I know that I'll now get all kinds of flack for saying that. LOL Sorry guys. Just being brutally honest as usual.

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Right on man! Most of this stuff is not that hard. Just use your ears and emulate what you hear.

Tabs are over-rated. They're like the bastard child of transcription. I liken them to "the lazy man's sheet music" but I know that I'll now get all kinds of flack for saying that. LOL Sorry guys. Just being brutally honest as usual.
    But as I've said, tabs are actually available, you can't typically just type up sheet music so it's alot easier to get tabs for anything you want. There's no need for either with alot of stuff people play if it's just standard 4/4 stuff without much substance to it, but if you want to play more complicated stuff learning to read tabs is very useful because it's very doubtful that you'll find the sheet music, in fact you can even transcribe them to sheet music if you can read both, and it isnt hard to learn tabs at all especially if you already read notation, it can be learned in under half an hour, so it's not necessarily lazy, just versatile. A drummer of your caliber right now probably will never use tabs, but it's something worth learning for lower level drummers in this day and age.

User Info Menu

I have had a rock funk book since I started playing and I found that for me it has given me many groove ideas and exercises for limb independance etc which I would not of benefited from if I couldnt read tabs. To learn a song however, I would rather listen to it and pick the beat up from there. Those grooves I have learnt have certainly helped my ears when listening to music. Thats just me though and everyone is different. So I have benefited from knowing to read tabs for this reason.

User Info Menu

Tabs frm the internet are not worth it, my guitarist figured that out the hard way!
    caution drummer may bite

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by styx View Post
    Tabs frm the internet are not worth it, my guitarist figured that out the hard way!
    Well, we've always found accurate tabs.

User Info Menu

I think this argument could go either way with which is better tabs or notes. I like BOTH for different things. If I'm in a hurry to learn something and remember it, I'll do a quick scribble of tabs to the important sections that have breaks, intros, bridges, outros etc... If i want to learn (or at least try) to learn something note for note I'm more confident with actual notes. In Nashville however, we use the Nashville Number System. (which uses neither but most if not all the top sessions drummers in Nashville record this way). Blessings.....

User Info Menu

A drummer of your caliber right now probably will never use tabs, but it's something worth learning for lower level drummers in this day and age.
    I respectfully disagree. There is no need to learn two systems of reading. That's like your 2nd grade teacher teaching you two different ways of reading books. It's just not necessary.

Tabs are often inconsistent and unreliable. They're most often written by amateurs who don't know anything about real notation so you've got all these young drummers out there that are trying to read this stuff and its doing nothing but confusing them. I can't tell you what a mess much of it is. I know because my students bring it to me. I just shake my head in disbelief.

Standard rhythmic notation is a tried and tested system that's been around for hundreds of years. It's still around because it works. I've been to music college. They don't teach "Tabs 101". They do however offer beginner to advanced music theory courses.

Look, some guys want a quick fix for everything. They're often impatient and want to take shortcuts. I'm here to tell you, that you're only cheating yourself if you don't learn to read real notation. You won't need tabs for songs once you learn to read standard notation. You'll be able to chart "anything" out by yourself. I know it because I've lived it. To this day I'm not the best sight-reader, but I can chart out anything and I can figure out just about anything that any drummer is playing. I could never do that had I not taken the time to learn proper reading notation. I also could not have been qualified to teach. You'll never get a teaching gig if you tell them you only read tabs.

Nashville number system: Yea, I'm familiar with it and have done some country sessions in my lifetime. It's the exception to the rule. The hillbillies in Nashville were too lazy to do it the right way so they made up their own way. LOL But.... it still uses rhythmic notation, not tabs. The only difference is there is more shorthand. But when you get to a kick section and there's a rhythmic line written out that everyone has to play, you better darn well know how to read it or you will not be invited back.

User Info Menu

Well put Drummer..........well put. Blessings......