Thread: New heads for DW

User Info Menu

Default New heads for DW

I want to replace the heads that came with my set. I think they are older. So what kind of heads really sound good on DW collector's kits. I really like/want my drums to sing and by that i like them to resonate and ring. I think its funny i like that on my DW because on my old kit ring was the last thing i ever wanted from it. I really like evans heads and i was thinking the G14 for the batter heads because they are single ply but the also the strongest single ply. I have no clue what i want for rest heads. I was also thinking about DW heads because they design those heads for dw drums and the people at dw seem to like low tones that have very nice resonance. So I cant decide if i want to go with evans or dw heads. Remo is 100% out of the picture but I'm not sold/huge fan of remo. Aquarian heads are ok but I also really didn't care for them when i tried a couple of there heads.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: New heads for DW

Dw heads are made be remo, they are basically pinstripes (as I understand it).
    I think if you are looking for an open tone the g14/g1 will do that nicely.
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

I know dw heads are made by remo thats why if i were to go with remo it would be using dw heads most likely so that is why I'm open with dw heads
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukesplat12 View Post
    Dw heads are made be remo, they are basically pinstripes (as I understand it).
    I think if you are looking for an open tone the g14/g1 will do that nicely.
    They are made by Remo but they are single ply/10 mil and are a hybrid clear/coated . Pins are a two ply 7mil/7mil with a dampening material between the layers at the edge. The DW head is essentially an Ambassador with a different collar. FWIW I use clear Vintage Emperors on mine with great results

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

clear emps or pinstripes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HolyChina View Post
    I want to replace the heads that came with my set.................thinking the G14 for the batter heads because they are single ply but the also the strongest single ply. I was also thinking about DW heads because they design those heads for dw drums........................Remo is 100% out of the picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by lukesplat12 View Post
    Dw heads are made by remo.

Too funny...........
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

for the DW I prefer to stick with the factory style DW heads. I think they sound great and look great. Yes they are remo and I use Evans on all my other kits but I like the matching DW setup cause those heads also sound great from the factory.

User Info Menu

Drumheads are mylar film glued to a metal rim---the logo means **** to me---single or 2-ply is the only real choice, and heads are throw-aways like guitar strings---I like Remo Emperors/Ambassadors, but Evans and Aquarian make the same thing with a different name---If you can afford DW Collectors why get cheap on heads?

User Info Menu

I wouldn't be surprised if DW heads are more expensive than Remo/Evans/Aquarian heads - those two letters command high prices

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    for the DW I prefer to stick with the factory style DW heads. I think they sound great and look great. Yes they are remo and I use Evans on all my other kits but I like the matching DW setup cause those heads also sound great from the factory.
    That is along the lines of what i have been thinking about dw heads. We all know John Good wants his drums to sound amazing so he probably has already gone and tried every brand of head known to man and picked the ones that sound the best on the drums he designs.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if DW heads are more expensive than Remo/Evans/Aquarian heads - those two letters command high prices
    you are right around $16 for a 8" head what happen to the $1 an inch for heads... a evans equivalent head is $11
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

If You're looking for evans, I would go with g2's over g1's. Remo, my personal preference is emperors over ambassadors. Best drum sound on earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Remo, my personal preference is emperors over ambassadors. Best drum sound on earth.
    Clear or coated?
    JOE

Seven piece vintage Ludwig kit (1971), Sky Blue Pearl, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 22
    Snare drums (all Ludwig): 1971 Supraphonic, 1969 SBP Classic, 1990s Blackrolite, 2012 6.5x 14 Black Magic
    Zildjian Cymbals - 21 ping, 20, 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14 HH, 10, 18 China, Wuhan 18 China
    Five piece Sonor All Maple 3005s: 12, 13, 16, 22, 5x 14 snare
    Roland TD4SX
    SPL Birch Bop Kit: 13, 8, 13, 18

User Info Menu

Coated emperors over non-coated ambassadors for me!

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joecut View Post
    Clear or coated?
    clears mostly

but depends on the tone you want and the color of drum for me The whites look so sexy but the finish dies quick

User Info Menu

The stock heads are great but they can be overwhelming IMO. I'm a big EC2 fan for these drums.

User Info Menu

I'm with flybynight. I replaced the stock DW heads with Evans clear G2 over G1s on all my DW maple Collectors toms (which I replaced with Evan Black Chromes on the batters, just because). The G2s/G1s were replacements for the original DW heads, and I could definitely hear a difference (in a good way). That's my recommendation to you.

By the way, when my new DW cherry kit arrives, my plan is to live with the stock DW heads for awhile and see if I think I need to change to the G2/G1 thing again.
    Last edited by cabasner; 02-22-2015 at 10:03 PM.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joecut View Post
    Clear or coated?
    Most of the time clear. I occasionally get coated.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I have a friend that swears that DW Collector's drums sound the best with their factory heads. I've never owned a set, so I don't know.

I don't like the sound of pinstripes; they seem to choke out all of the sound. If it were me, I'd go with DW heads first, or I'd probably go for some of those Aquarian Studio X heads.

User Info Menu

I haven't tried them on DW drums but if you like low tones with some ring, Remo Coated Vintage Emperor heads are great. They're not going to have as much sustain as an Ambassador of course, but they're far from dead if you know how to tune and they will go very low.

User Info Menu

I just ordered new batter heads...should have them next week:

- Ambassador X for snare
    - Clear Emperors for 14", 16" & 18" toms
    - Clear PS3 w/black dot for 24" bass

Can't wait!
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

I find my current heads g2 coated with g1 reso heads don't ring and have as much tone as i would like to have. I know g2g1 is a standard go to head for most evans fans but I want more ring to them than what they have now.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HolyChina View Post
    I find my current heads g2 coated with g1 reso heads don't ring and have as much tone as i would like to have. I know g2g1 is a standard go to head for most evans fans but I want more ring to them than what they have now.
    I suppose it depends on just how much more tone/ring you are looking for - you could get a single coated 14" G12 or even G1 to try out if you have a 14" tom on your set - if it doesn't work out spare snare heads are always good to have

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I suppose it depends on just how much more tone/ring you are looking for - you could get a single coated 14" G12 or even G1 to try out if you have a 14" tom on your set - if it doesn't work out spare snare heads are always good to have
    thats a really good idea never thought about that
    Sabian!!!