User Info Menu

Default Re: your favorite drum song to play

Wipe out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Wipe out
    Awesome!

(unless you were serious. I always thought this was a drummer's worst nightmare!)
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

would also like to add:

Paradigm Shift---Liquid Tension Experiment

Self Biased Resistor---Fear Factory

Kinetic--Arcturus

Nightmare Heaven--Arcturus

Ad Absurdum---Arcturus

Laser Cannon Death Sentence---Dethklok

User Info Menu

I play mostly Dream Theater and Rush songs. I won't list all the ones that I can play, but I'll list my favs and the ones that I typically will play if I'm feeling like doing a lot of covers.

Dance of Eternity - Dream Theater - Once you learn it all, it's quite fun, but it's definitely not a song for a day where you're feeling lethargic). It took me a couple of weeks to get the song right. In the beginning, it was Mike saying that it was the hardest track on the Scenes From A Memory record that made me want to learn it, but I ended up really enjoying it.

Under A Glass Moon - Dream Theater - The intro double bass groove is very fun, this song is very progressive and I love how tight the drum parts are with the rest of the band. Definitely some trick parts in it)

Overture: 1928 - A lot of times this is the first song I play to get warmed up. It's short (for a Dream Theater song) and always gets me pumped up. It's also quite easy (again for a Dream Theater song).

Home - Dream Theater - There are a few tricky parts in it, but this is another of the easier songs on Scenes from a Memory. I also love how much this song pays homage to the original Metropolis song. Many of the songs on this record do, but this one probably has the most references to the song of them all.

Erotomania - Dream Theater - The first instrumental song I learned from them. I wanted to learn it from the iconic fill that is done at the climax of the song. Nothing really difficult, just very well known in the drumming circle.

New Millennium - Dream Theater - The ride/hi-hat groove in this song is what made me want to learn it. It starts off very simple and doesn't necessarily get difficult, but it has a lot of cool drum parts. This song is the also the reason I fell in love with Octobans. He does a nice grove on them while keeping a constant upbeat on a splash.

YYZ - Rush - This and Subdivisions were the first Rush songs I ever learned to play, but YYZ has always been my more favorite to play.

Fly By Night - Rush - Just an easy, fun song to play. I play this usually with Overture: 1928 as part of my beginning warmup songs.

Bastille Day - Rush - Not a very common song drummers pick from the extensive Rush catalog, but it's always been a favorite.

Tom Sawyer - Rush - I think every drummer knows this one or at least tries to know it. After playing it for years, I don't consider it hard anymore, but it definitely was way back when. Even Neil Peart has said it's hard to play and that when he plays it properly, he's proud of himself. I think he's just being modest, because his live performances of this always seem to be bang on.

La Villa Strangiato - Rush - A beautiful piece of music that is fun to play.

Another song I'm going to mention because it just may be my favorite song to date. It's by Liquid Tension Experiment (consisting of 3 Dream Theater band members) and it's called Kindred Spirits. The guitar riff in that is AMAZING and the climax of the song actually starts at around 4:25 and goes right to the end. Beautiful piece of music. I recommend it to EVERYBODY. Not just drummers and guitarists, but anybody that loves good music. It's truly brilliant.