Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I went to see a band yesterday

User Info Menu

Default I went to see a band yesterday

I went to see a band yesterday. The drummer used a Yamaha electronic drum kit and Roland amplifier. It sounded OK, maybe even good and the drummer was talented enough. The audience did not see to care that they were electronic drums. But it didn't sound the same to me and I would have preferred acoustic drums.

Even an inexpensive drum kit would have sounded better in my opinion. And I like electronic drums, I use them for practicing a lot, and for gigs. But I still miss the acoustic sound.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I went to see a band yesterday

What ever is deemed as lost in sound is probably made up for in practicality.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I think e-kits are great for practicing but for gigging acoustic is the way to go imo they sound more natural not perfect like a e-kit.

User Info Menu

All true, but an acoustic set, even small has limitations.
    For example, we have a gig coming up at a place with stone walls, very high vaulted ceilings and hardwood floors.
    We did a dry run with just a snare, hat, one crash and base drum - sounds like Niagara falls with echo on top.
    6 instruments in a band total - no way we can do it with acoustic.

Also, we practice in a fairly large room at my friends house - it's just way too loud.

User Info Menu

I have a gig tonight that I wish I could use my electrics for. Band leader says acoustics though, so acoustics it is. I really like the modern electric stuff. Only a drummmer would know they aren't real (TD15, 2Box, etc.).

User Info Menu

I use my e-kit for small clubs and gigs that are low volume situations. I trigger a vst and spend a lot of time tweaking the kits to sound good live. I use a small Roland amp for a personal monitor and run a line out from the amp to the PA. a little bit in the monitors for the other guys; It works very well when needed. Our "band leaded" leaves it to me to decide what gear I use. I would never tell him which guitar or pedal to use at a gig; works both ways.
    ||Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius||

Pearl Masters Custom - Emerald Mist with gold hardware 12/13/16/22

PDP LX - Cherry Fade
    8/10/12/14/16/22

Zildjian A Custom 16/18/20 1970's 14" New Beat hats
    Sabian 16" Ozone crash

Roland TD-3 and TD-10 A to E Kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    I use my e-kit for small clubs and gigs that are low volume situations. I trigger a vst and spend a lot of time tweaking the kits to sound good live. I use a small Roland amp for a personal monitor and run a line out from the amp to the PA. a little bit in the monitors for the other guys;
    what kind?

I just got an Roland TD-12, so will probably need something similar
    need a personal monitor and a click in my in-ears

Thanks.

User Info Menu

The only e-kits I have seen gigged out have always been the real expensive ones. I saw a band a few months back that had a great set up and sound, I was talking to the drummer and all told he was in it a good $7k... ughhhh I am sure you could gig out with the $1500 kits but I have yet to see one.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bitman101 View Post
    All true, but an acoustic set, even small has limitations.
    For example, we have a gig coming up at a place with stone walls, very high vaulted ceilings and hardwood floors.
    We did a dry run with just a snare, hat, one crash and base drum - sounds like Niagara falls with echo on top.
    6 instruments in a band total - no way we can do it with acoustic.

Also, we practice in a fairly large room at my friends house - it's just way too loud.
    E-kits can be the solution to age old problems. I say why not embrace it. If I was a band leader now, I would probably insist on e-drums, esp. the small and low level shows.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I use either a TD15 or 2Box module with my kit. So a grand-ish for a gig-able module. The drums themselves were around $300. Heads, around $80. Triggers are about $80 each-ish, so $320. And Cymbals, which were actually kinda pricey, were probably another $450. Not exact numbers, but thats in the ballpark of $2100 for brand new, namebrand goodies, including a drumset. I'm sure DIY could be done for a ton less.

Plus, most of some of the beginner sets work with the TD and 2Box modules, so a cheapo Yamaha DT or something, used, would have enough stuff for a few hundred bucks, to piece together a conversion kit, in terms of cymbals and a module. A popular band here played with a DT express kit for years. Even though the TD and 2Box are huge leaps and bounds (in my limited use) better live, the audience felt like there were drums, and the band rocked.

Totally agree that electric is ideal for small venues and quieter settings. Works great for weddings and cover stuff too. Now that I've used them so much, I have yet to play anywhere where the electronics aren't helpful. Even if only as a supplement to an acoustic set.

User Info Menu

To me, it's similar to MP3 vs. vinyl or solid state vs. tube amp. There are advantages to modern equipment, but theres a trade off. Something (however subtle) is lost in translation. Plus, if we get hit by an EMP bomb attack, I can still play my drums....
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I also agree I'd rather see/hear an acoustic kit. But just personal preference

User Info Menu

I played a gig a couple weeks ago at a restaurant and there were tables 12 feet away from me!!

My acoustic kit would have immediately driven them away

They look kind of like an A kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    To me, it's similar to MP3 vs. vinyl or solid state vs. tube amp. There are advantages to modern equipment, but theres a trade off. Something (however subtle) is lost in translation. Plus, if we get hit by an EMP bomb attack, I can still play my drums....
    Well. if that happens there won't be music of any kind as we know it. It'll be back to back porch pickin'

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    ....Plus, if we get hit by an EMP bomb attack, I can still play my drums....
    Sorry for bringing this back from the dead but Brian made a good point. You guys that gig with an e-kits, do you back yourselves up with extra modules or do you guys take a small acoustic kit for back up in case the electronics die? I've been toying with the idea of using an e-kit live but my module is dated ('04 DTXpress III) and I don't trust it. Thanks...

User Info Menu

Will your pads be compatible with a newer module?

Bringing a spare snare or module to a gig sounds reasonable to me, spare kit...weighing the likely outcomes I mostly see bad things:

1. You bring an extra kit and you dont need it (loss)
    2. You bring an extra kit and you need it (win)
    3. You bring an extra kit and you don't need it, and someone steals/tries to steal it from your care (big loss).
    4. You bring an extra kit, take it inside, and don't need it (loss> point 1)

If the power goes out, how will everyone else play? If your module gives out only, well life happens. Certainly bringing a spare kit defeats the purpose of bringing your ekit in some respects...

So in the cost-benefit analysis, we can see that you are better to:

1. Take the ekit and not worry.
    2. Take your normal kit
    3. Take what would be your 'spare' and leave your ekit at home
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Well, in the event of a power out, it's going to be an unplugged gig for everyone, not just the drummer, so why not have a real snare on hand and some brushes?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Will your pads be compatible with a newer module?

Bringing a spare snare or module to a gig sounds reasonable to me, spare kit...weighing the likely outcomes I mostly see bad things:

1. You bring an extra kit and you dont need it (loss)
    2. You bring an extra kit and you need it (win)
    3. You bring an extra kit and you don't need it, and someone steals/tries to steal it from your care (big loss).
    4. You bring an extra kit, take it inside, and don't need it (loss> point 1)

If the power goes out, how will everyone else play? If your module gives out only, well life happens. Certainly bringing a spare kit defeats the purpose of bringing your ekit in some respects...

So in the cost-benefit analysis, we can see that you are better to:

1. Take the ekit and not worry.
    2. Take your normal kit
    3. Take what would be your 'spare' and leave your ekit at home
    Great post! Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Cheers!

Since I do nothing at work, but have to be there, at least I can contribute here...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I think e-kits are great for practicing but for gigging acoustic is the way to go imo they sound more natural not perfect like a e-kit.
    Exactly
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Exactly
    I wouldn't 100% agree there...if the music you are playing doesn't need a lot of dynamics (typically heavy rock/metal/punk), I would argue an ekit is actually better because you can control the volume more. I once played on an akit with these horrible remo black heads that suck all the life out of a drum, and yes, objectively speaking, my module produces a more dynamic sound...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride

User Info Menu

i saw a band play and the drummer was on a cheap e-kit, it was ok, it definitely didn't look right though.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

If I were going to gig with edrums, I would drill holes in the rack to hide the cables, which would also make setting up a bit easier, but yea, some ekits really do look like toys, especially when they light up when you hit them...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride

User Info Menu

I had quite a bit invested in my Yamaha e-kit back in 2006. I had the DTXTreme 3 and DTXTreme 2 modules. 19 pads all the drum pads were 3 zone ,cymbal pads were 2 zone ,ride cymbal pad was 3 zone, the two high smaller cymbal pads were single zone. So this means for each kit I could program 43 different sounds.

They were top of the line and sounded great. I enjoyed them while I was recovering from cancer treatment, but I eventually had to get rid of them and get back behind and acoustic kit. E drums are ok but they are not real drums. I felt that a lot was lost as far as feel goes on an e kit. I'll never play them again.

User Info Menu

ekits look good in the right setting, but you can't beat a good looking acoustic set-up.
    There's a festival I go to each year where they always have a band called Subgiant play - they have been playing there since it was a tiny festival, so they've sort of become part of the furniture. They definitely wouldn't look or sound right without the ekit, and the good point is that the drummer is front & centre, right at the heart of things!

Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater