Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who do think makes best hardware?

User Info Menu

Default Who do think makes best hardware?

I'm looking for opinions on the best drum hardware. I have a Ludwig "L" arm tom mount that clamps onto a cymbal stand. I have to tighten the living snot out of the swivel ball clamp to keep it from slipping. Is there a better one out there?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Who do think makes best hardware?

Tama.

User Info Menu

Is it a vintage one? I have heard that complaint numerous times about them. Most modern ball and socket L arms are pretty stable.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Yamaha

User Info Menu

I found a DW "L" arm mount in a catalog, are they considered any good? The Ludwig I have now is new.

User Info Menu

Tama or Gibraltar.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Tama or Gibraltar.
    Another vote for these two.

User Info Menu

I have a Tama ball and socket mount thats probably 30yrs old and still works perfect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    Yamaha
    Agree.... Yamaha, then maybe Tama...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Tama.
    Agreed. Tama makes extremely durable and quality hardware. I've never had anything of theirs ever fail on me before.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Gibraltar is what I use almost exclusively on my kit, however in all honesty once you get into the higher price range it really doesn't matter whether you buy Tama, Gibraltar, or Yamaha every way you turn you're getting quality. Can't speak specifically to L rod clamps, I've been happy with the one that came from the factory on my PDP.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

The plastic balls get chewed up and/or worn. You can buy a new replacement ball & L arm from Gibraltar. They're only like $9.00. It should fit in your existing clamp housing. Measure the diameter of the ball and L-rod first and compare them to make sure. I replaced both balls on the tom mount of my old Premier kit. The new balls were about 1mm larger diameter, but some slight grinding with a Dremel tool on the inside of the clamp housings was all it took. They work 100% now. Rock solid.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Were playing your favourite hardware game. Mapex! Hope I win.

User Info Menu

I prefer Yamaha but that isn't going to help with your 'L' clamp because they don't make one.

The good news is you're in the same city as Cascio (Interstate) and they literally have every possible option on display and you can try them all out for yourself.

User Info Menu

In response to one of your questions, there's nothing wrong with dw hardware. It's as good as anything you'll find. Very heavy duty, stable, secure, well designed and thought out. there's something to do whatever you need. Their higher end stands may be a bit overkill and are heavy and no fun to move. But then all top of the line drum hardware is best left in one place unless you have riggers. Look all the aforementioned choices over and get what pleases you and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by noreastbob; 02-28-2015 at 10:31 AM.

User Info Menu

I use DW exclusively. I have both the heavy as heck 9000 series hardware as well as 6000 series setup so I won't break my back every time. They have so many accessories for anything that anyone would ever imagine in my opinion. I am not as familiar with other manufactures to compare to though.

User Info Menu

I have a mix of hardware on my kit, Pearl, Yamaha, Sonor, gibraltar, PDP . All work fine for me. If I were going to go with just one brand it would be Pearl their stands , pedals , and cymbal arms are great. Would never use their tom arms though.

User Info Menu

Here is something out the blue. . . .NATAL hardware swivel ball mounts are aluminum (ball itself).

User Info Menu

I like Gibraltar hardware. Not to rock the boat too much, but I heard at one point that just about all of the decent hardware is made by the same company; it's just rebadged and minor modifications are made for each company, but I could be incorrect.

Anyways, I've only had one issue of slipping from the ball and socket mount. It was holding up a 16" rims-mounted floor tom which also had a heavy stick bag hanging from it. Oh, and the mount itself is 20 years old. I replaced it with one that was only 10 years old, so it works much better now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    I like Gibraltar hardware. Not to rock the boat too much, but I heard at one point that just about all of the decent hardware is made by the same company; it's just rebadged and minor modifications are made for each company, but I could be incorrect.

Anyways, I've only had one issue of slipping from the ball and socket mount. It was holding up a 16" rims-mounted floor tom which also had a heavy stick bag hanging from it. Oh, and the mount itself is 20 years old. I replaced it with one that was only 10 years old, so it works much better now.
    You are correct sir:

A lot of DW's hardware comes from Gibralter.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    You are correct sir:

A lot of DW's hardware comes from Gibralter.
    I guess that's why DW now owns Gibraltar.

User Info Menu

Other than highly rating TAMA, you haven't done your research if you don't take a good hard look at Pearl.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've seen several mentions of the "one company makes it all" and Gibralter makes dw hardware". I can believe that most of the drum hardware is made by the same co.(s), but Gibralter makes dw? They are totally different! Other than the double bracing which is similar on all stands the locking mechanisms and toothless swivel mounts are different.
    Maybe the Chinese co. that makes Gibralter makes dw as well....?
    Anyone have hard facts?

User Info Menu

for the price Gibraltar makes a great product for every brand replacement.

Now that I own a DW I'm using only DW parts which are top quality but you pay the price. If you can find Gibraltar parts use them

User Info Menu

I play DW but all of my hardware is Gibraltar.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass