Thread: I need a low-cost idea for a drum hardware case

User Info Menu

Default I need a low-cost idea for a drum hardware case

Hey folks,

I posted a link a few weeks ago regarding a group that I will hopefully be playing out with soon. I have a pretty minimalist set up: 4-piece drum set (Super Mario kit!), one crash, one ride, hats, drum throne.

As far as hardware, I think this is what I'll have:

Two snare stands (one for snare, one for rack tom)
    One straight stand
    One boom stand
    One hi-hat stand
    Drum throne with back

Anyone have any decent budget ideas for some sort of hardware case? I'd rather use something I have lying around the house as opposed to buying something. Or if I bought something, it could be off of craigslist or something.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: I need a low-cost idea for a drum hardware case

I use a golf club set hard case travel bag, you should find some for cheap on cl, I have even used a soft golf club travel bag and it worked perfectly. paid $25 for it. a few yrs ago
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

^^^ Check out a local Goodwill. I've found some awesome deals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I use a golf club set hard case travel bag, you should find some for cheap on cl, I have even used a soft golf club travel bag and it worked perfectly. paid $25 for it. a few yrs ago
    Bingo. That's what I did. Cheap and easy, and works great. Don't even have to break down or collapse the stands, just fold the legs and straighten the boom. DONE.

User Info Menu

What kind of "budget"? Humes & Berg Enduro coffin case is my recommendation (H&B is always my recommendation). I just bought a new case from them for $135, a 24x18. It is huge! My other Enduros were all bought in '98 and are still rock solid some 500 shows later.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

the Army/Navy has big bags with shoulder straps. The amount of hardware you plan on hauling doesn't seem back breaking. I use a big Navy sea bag and I have a ton of stands I put in it. The shoulder strap is the key though if you get something without wheels.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

golf club case is an awesome idea

User Info Menu

I purchased an inexpensive storage box with casters from Home Depot. Even has a place for a lock. Was about $35.00. Has been working fine for 4 years now.

Something like this one (only has casters built in on one end). This one is 42.00 for 2 of them:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sterilite...4?N=5yc1vZc89j

Stuart

User Info Menu

having wheels helps...my hardware bag is sooo heavy and I have no wheels. I just throw it on a cheap hand truck i bought which kind of serves as a skeleton. You could probably use a hockey bag. The longer the bag/case, the less breaking down you have to do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Seforeman View Post
    I purchased an inexpensive storage box with casters from Home Depot. Even has a place for a lock. Was about $35.00. Has been working fine for 4 years.

Stuart
    I use one like this. Mine was $20 at Wally World. It's pretty thin plastic & flimsy, but it's lasted several years of moderate gigging. I can get 3 cymbal stands, FT legs, tom mount brackets, 2 pedals, a tool kit and my throne in it. The hat hat stand won't fit unless I unscrew the rod, so I don't try to fit it in. The main problem is it gets very heavy and awkward to carry by yourself. Also, many venues we play are limited on space, so it can be tough finding a place to store it during the gig. I plan on buying a couple smaller, heavier duty ones or a golf case. Maybe several, just to make it easier to carry by myself. I can always use this one for other purposes.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I use an old hockey bag.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I use an old hockey bag.
    I've never seen a hockey bag......or a hockey stick, or puck.....or even a hockey game. I wouldn't know a hockey bag unless it had H-O-C-K-E-Y written right on the side.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'd start browsing the thrift stores to see what they have, you may get more ideas but also score something for a lot less than elsewhere. You'll thank yourself later for saving that money when you're out gigging!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    having wheels helps...my hardware bag is sooo heavy and I have no wheels. I just throw it on a cheap hand truck i bought which kind of serves as a skeleton. You could probably use a hockey bag. The longer the bag/case, the less breaking down you have to do.
    I use one of these...............perfect.

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)