Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Wood?

User Info Menu

Default Got Wood?

do u prefer nylon or wood tip sticks?i prefer wood tho i think its jus cos i prefer the look of them. also, as nylon tips are always oval shaped, does this mean that they cant possess the same qualities as wood tips with different shapes ie barrel or acorn?

User Info Menu

It depends on what im using them for. If im playing my drum set i like nylon tip. But if im in marching band i have to use wood. I actually tried nylon marching sticks and they just sucked

User Info Menu

I've been using Regal Tip 5B nylon tips for 20 years. I've never met a wood tip stick I liked. They don't last very long and, in my opinion, they don't sound very good on the ride cymbal.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

i like wood tip drumsticks but sometimes will use nylon for more attack

User Info Menu

Yeah I like nylon tips better.. I think they bounce better and make rolls sound better.. but thats just my opinion... i never liked wood tips.

I feel like such a little wee-one.. i use 5-a, and every1 else uses 5-b.. i have small hands i guess cuz i dont like the heaviness and size of 5-b.. never liked them.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

i use five A....i just like them better then the bigger sticks....
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

good im not the only 1
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

i think its funny cause im a big guy 6'3" and i have those tiny little drumsticks
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

lol.. i have small hands so i use the little drumsticks.. I dont have the same control over big drumsticks, i like the small ones.. that probably sounds really weird, its hard to explain....
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

am i the only one who caught how dirty the title of this post is,

anyway i prefer wood
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

i never tryed nylon tips i always thot wood ones looked better ... no offense
    i gave away my b-5s to a friend and bought b-4s . i think when i use heavier sticks i have more control ..but of course with lighter ones you can go faster

anyways i guess ill have to try nylons somtime

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy
    do u prefer nylon or wood tip sticks?i prefer wood tho i think its jus cos i prefer the look of them. also, as nylon tips are always oval shaped, does this mean that they cant possess the same qualities as wood tips with different shapes ie barrel or acorn?
    As you can see, not all nylon tips are always oval shaped. For almost 20 years now, I've used Regal Tip Quantum 3000. They're the same length and width as a 5B, but with a thicker neck. (Hardly any taper.) I use the nylon tips. They last SO much longer then typical 5B's due to the thicker neck.

Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

I've always used wood sticks. I HATE drum sticks that look like pencils. I like to feel a little resistance...you know, a strong bounce feeling but thats just me.

User Info Menu

Wink Got wood?

Hey, Metal-Head...you weren't the only one who read between the lines, dude...(hee-hee-hee!) For me, big wood is the only way to go...uhh, sticks, that is!

My favorite sticks are a pair of PowerTip 5A's a drumming buddy of mine gave me in 1989 after I commented on his. (I've broken more bongo heads than drum sticks!) I don't even know if they're still made any more--these have six cross-ridges that make them easy to grip either matched-grip or traditional--and they still play great after 17 years! Killer sticks...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I use nylon for electric kits and wood for a regular kit.
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

hey bongobro, i got a question for yah.....can you use sticks on conga heads?...i have a pair of congas and i thought about playing them with sticks, but i have a feeling that it's not a good idea....what has been your experience with conga heads and sticks?

User Info Menu

I prefer Nylon tips,Because I break the tips with Wood sticks....Well I use Ahead drumsticks,So I really have no other Choice but to use Nylon Tip Sticks....

User Info Menu

I prefer Wooden tips to nylon, I just like them and just prefer them more I guess..I use 5A Drumsticks though. I just find them easier to control I guess..

jarhead Guest

well i like nylon for marching because theyve got better rebound. but for drumset i like wood tips

User Info Menu

I use nylon sticks. in the beginning I always used wood. but then I bought Nylon just because the wooden tip always broke.
    Now I just use nylon sticks for the sound, just like it better when I'm playing on the ride cymbal--> such a nice ping

User Info Menu

Angry Got Wood?

Utopia--as far as I'm concerned, them's fightin' words!

You CAN use sticks on bongos and congas (some do for special effects), but I don't...if you play hand drums with sticks as intensely as you would on drumset, you can tear the heads up very easily (happened to my bongo-playing buddy when he tried playin' bongos with sticks!)...

And if the heads aren't easily replaceable (think djembes, tacked-on heads and the like), you'll have trouble getting a replacement on short notice...

Personally, sticks on hand drums defeat the purpose of hand percussion...(of course, my buddy also played set drums with his hands--if he hadn't developed some seriously rough hands from his bongo-banging, his hands would have been really torn up)...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I'm with Nylon tipped VF 7AN's. They're the bomb.

HB58

User Info Menu

I don't have alot experiance with all sorts of tips, and I'm currently playing Vick Firht 8D wood tip sticks, I never used nylon do'h. Maybe I should test a pair
    Does anyone has some kind of overview with all types and measures of sticks?

User Info Menu

I tried nylon tips for a while....I kept breaking the tips off....it got to the point where i was going through 3, 4 sticks in a 3- hour gig.....so i switched back to the wood tips.....1 pair of wood-tipped sticks usually lasts me 2 or 3 gigs.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

I was using nylon tips when I was playing my Roland electronic kit, but now that I only play acoustic, I have switched over to Vic Firth 5B wood tip sticks.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads