Gorgeous.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Jazz kit project: Refurb & A2E

no way that is the same kit!!?!?!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    Are you kidding? Wow!
    No possible way you found wood like that under all the crud, so that is a faux wood wrap you found? From here it looks totally real, amazing, amazing, amazing!
    That's the digitally printed image from Bum Wrap. They have a ton of different wood designs (Bubinga, Walnut, birds eye Maple, etc.), wood fades, etc.. Pretty amazing stuff....and very low cost.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Looks way better!

User Info Menu

Well done. Way to go.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Very, very nice.

User Info Menu

You have absolutely transformed that little kit Gman, those shells looked absolutely hideous before the refurb. When I saw the pics of the end result my first reaction was 'how did he manage that, that finish looks amazing'. I had to re-read the thread - from the pics there is no way I thought it was a wrap - great job.

User Info Menu

It was a lot of work but it turned out really nice. Each shell, except the kick, had painting on them like clown on the 10" - just had been painted over. When my wife saw that, she made me grind the pictures off with the belt sander. Some of it was pretty creepy stuff - she said she would never be able to look at the kit without thinking about it if I didn't get it off. The hoops were the hardest part sine I had to get all the heavy paint off, sand smooth, stain and put on a gloss finish.

The Bum Wrap is great stuff and super easy to use. You really can't tell it's a wrap.

Total project:
    $150 for drums w/abused finish
    $140 for wrap
    $120 for 6 Remo Silent Stroke heads & 1 darn expensive Fiberskyn kick reso
    $ 65 for 6 triggers (E-bay)
    I already had everything else.

So for $475 I got a custom e-kit that feels like an acoustic kit (because it is) that I can convert back to a pretty unique (8"-10", 12"-14" FTs, 18) acoustic jazz kit.

User Info Menu

Wow, those are beautiful! You did an excellent job on them!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    I finished the clean-up and refurb project. Just haven't finished hooking up the electronics. Didn't turn out bad for a beat up old kit.

Doesn't it just look nice and clean to have the tom mount receivers mounted directly to the shell with no isolation mounts to destroy the looks? I know the isos work to promote shell vibration (which we then destroy again by installing pre-muffled heads!), but the direct mount just looks better to me. For a while Yamaha had the appearance part nailed down with their original YESS mounts, but now they've gone and ruined the looks with a huge, black plate behind the tom receiver.

Your kit looks great, though. Excellent job!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

They look awesome. I have a snare wrapped in that pattern and was thinking of wrapping my cheaper Tama kit in the same wrap. Must feel like a brand new kit to you.

User Info Menu

Yes it does. I figured as long as the chrome was in good shape I could get it looking good. Surpassed my expectations though.