Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jazz kit project: Refurb & A2E

User Info Menu

Default Jazz kit project: Refurb & A2E

Picked up a Mapex jazz kit recently. 18" kick, 8, 10 rack toms, 12, 14 floor toms. Don't know that I've ever seen a 12" floor tom before. Badges are long gone. Looks like maple but I have to believe it's something less, since no one would have done to a maple kit what was done to this kit. While construction is sound and the bearing edges are all in great shape, the outside has been hand painted a couple of times. Most recent painting was a black undercoat with some kind of textured matt finish applied on top. Makes the paint super thick and it gums up under sandpaper. That and the lack of care in painting up onto some of the bearing edges makes this one ugly kit. The good part about that is the it made them real cheap.
    The plan is to sand everything smooth and wrap the shells, polish up the hardware, install mesh heads and triggers. This kit will make a super acoustic-to-electric conversion kit.
    Pictures are of the 12/14/18 after initial sanding. You can see what a cosmetic mess the shells are. More pictures to come of the finished project.

[/IMG]

Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

Default Re: Jazz kit project: Refurb & A2E

That's a great idea!! I'm looking forward to seeing this project.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

I would try a liquid or gel paint stripper. Should be able to remove all the paint and leave the wood suitable for staining.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Sounds like a really fun project!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Looks like you're gonna be busy with it for awhile. Take your time and enjoy, projects can be very rewarding. A feeling like no other comes over you when you look at what came from all your work. Something with new life breathed into it, it's awesome!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Were the drums originally wrapped?
    If they originally stained, it can be hard to have that extra layer of wrap and still have the head fit.
    Looks like a great project, I am certainly jealous.
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Picked up a Mapex jazz kit recently. 18" kick, 8, 10 rack toms, 12, 14 floor toms. Don't know that I've ever seen a 12" floor tom before. [...]construction is sound and the bearing edges are all in great shape...
    The plan is to sand everything smooth and wrap the shells, polish up the hardware...

install mesh heads and triggers. This kit will make a super acoustic-to-electric conversion kit.

User Info Menu

plenty of work ahead of you on this one

User Info Menu

Originally Posted by porkpieguy
    Posted by G-man View Post
    install mesh heads and triggers. This kit will make a super acoustic-to-electric conversion kit.
    [/QUOTE]

The wife is going to love it.
    - G-Man
    Last edited by G-man; 03-03-2015 at 10:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukesplat12 View Post
    Were the drums originally wrapped?
    If they were originally stained, it can be hard to have that extra layer of wrap and still have the head fit.
    This is good advice................check for tightness first.
    I had a wrap put on an old Slingy snare drum............originally this shell was painted.............with the wrap put on, the heads fit tighter than before (logically)............I had to go with a conventional silver sparkle wrap rather than broken glass because the glass wraps are thicker.

Other wraps are paper thin and you might need to consider those.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I'm getting the bulk of the paint off with a belt sander - quick and very dirty. Thought about stripping but had enough of that when I refinished my kitchen cabinets. There are multiple layers of paint on these things but I'm getting enough of it off with the sanding that what's left is not creating any fit issues. I have the 8 and 10 covered and the heads and hoops are fitting perfectly. An extra step that most people aren't aware of is to lightly file the wrap once it's on to blend it with the bearing edge. I should have it all done and put back together in a couple of weeks.

User Info Menu

An extra step that most people aren't aware of is to lightly file the wrap once it's on to blend it with the bearing edge. I should have it all done and put back together in a couple of weeks.
    Bum Wrap Drum Co. will cut their wrap 1/8" away from the top and bottom so that rims and heads will fit nicely. You can't tell that the wrap is cut back a little once the heads and rims are installed. (I'm sure other companies will cut this back as well.) Here's an example of what the 1/8" cut-back is like before and after head installation.

User Info Menu

The wood on those looks like a poplar interior and luan or Honduras mahogany ply on the outside. Good wood to wrap. The outer would be very porous grain and would be a ton of work to fill the grain smooth.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

I was thinking the same thing on the interior ply but most of the shells have more grain "swirls" than the typical poplar, which tends to be a very straight grain pattern. Not quite maple-looking, not quite poplar-looking. A mystery I may never solve. If it still had the badges it would be no problem id'ing the wood. No big deal for where I'm taking this kit. The outside could very well be the ubiquitous "Philippine Mahogany" in which case this thick paint would never come completely out of the grain. Even if it did, staining it would look like poo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Bum Wrap Drum Co. will cut their wrap 1/8" away from the top and bottom so that rims and heads will fit nicely. You can't tell that the wrap is cut back a little once the heads and rims are installed. (I'm sure other companies will cut this back as well.) Here's an example of what the 1/8" cut-back is like before and after head installation.
    I'm using Bum Wrap with the cutback but with the additional thickness of the "custom" paint job, I'm still hitting the edge with the file. Might not be necessary but it makes me feel good.
    Last edited by G-man; 03-03-2015 at 01:33 PM.

User Info Menu

I finished the clean-up and refurb project. Just haven't finished hooking up the electronics. Didn't turn out bad for a beat up old kit.

Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

Are those the same drums?! They're BEAUTIFUL!

I couldn't help but notice the tom mount is higher on the 8". Not that it's a problem.
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 03-17-2015 at 07:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Great job!

User Info Menu

Wow! What a transformation! They look fantastic!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. It was a fun project. Having a good time playing them too.

User Info Menu

BEFORE

AFTER
    Last edited by G-man; 03-17-2015 at 10:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow!!!

User Info Menu

Wow. Big difference. Looks real nice.

User Info Menu

Are you kidding? Wow!
    No possible way you found wood like that under all the crud, so that is a faux wood wrap you found? From here it looks totally real, amazing, amazing, amazing!

User Info Menu

I am just thinking how many hours of dirty labour it would take me to arrive at a finish like that. Should be illegal.