Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll

17 73.91%
  • dislike

6 26.09%

Thread: concert tom sound

User Info Menu

Default concert tom sound

I always thought AJ Pero of Twisted Sister fame and now Adrenaline Mob had a cool sound on the Stay Hungry record from 1984. After a bit of searching I'm pretty sure he was using Pearl at that time but what about the sound? was it a studio trick? then it dawned on me ahhh concert toms. Always liked the sound he got out of his snare on that record too.

Do you like the sound of concert toms?
    Last edited by slinky; 03-04-2015 at 04:18 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: concert tom sound

Very popular in the late 60's to early 70's to take off the bottom heads to get the concert drum sound.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

The sound just doesn't really appeal to me in person. But if I hear them on a recording, they sound great.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

One of my favorite records (I had the cassette) was Judas Priest's live Unleashed In The East. Les Binks' toms always sounded so cool on Victim Of Changes. Before we went in to record our last disc I was tossing around the idea of using the sound but never got around to trying it out in the practice room. Could be an old sound that can come back to life.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    One of my favorite records (I had the cassette) was Judas Priest's live Unleashed In The East. Les Binks' toms always sounded so cool on Victim Of Changes. Before we went in to record our last disc I was tossing around the idea of using the sound but never got around to trying it out in the practice room. Could be an old sound that can come back to life.
    When I broke the batter heads on my toms, I used the reso heads on the top (I know) And used them as concert toms
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I played concert toms back in the 70's and early 80's until I converted my '78 Quadra Plus kit over to double headed and never switched back. I do like the concept of mixing in the smaller concert/roto toms for effects purposes though.

User Info Menu

I love Nickos concert toms on the Live After Death cd

User Info Menu

I do like concert toms mixed with doubled head toms.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

I think single headed drums (concert toms) get a bad rap. The audience gets all the sound of regular toms. The only thing is, as the drummer, you don't get the back reflection of tone as you do with reso heads. This can make them sound to you as "drier"

all the best...

User Info Menu

Funny thing, I played mostly concert toms in the 70's never realizing that the only difference between the concert tom and tom is the bottom no reso head. I never had reso heads on my toms back then which made them thundering louder.

User Info Menu

Think the poll should have a third option... did like it during the time now not a huge fan lol as I did like the sound back then and now I'm not so hot for it lol

User Info Menu

I like them slightly muffled rather than wide open, i.e., Ralph Humphrey (in his Zappa days) has a better sound than Phil Collins.
    Just opinion................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

i like how Taylor Hawkins uses 3 of them to his right when playing live, makes his solo's a bit more interesting.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I do like concert toms without a doubt!

User Info Menu

One of the most well know drum fills ever was done with concert toms. In the air tonight. Phil Collins.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 54bogger View Post
    I do like concert toms without a doubt!

Like a time capsule. I used to have those same cymbal boom stands. Overkill, but they can survive decades of abuse.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    Like a time capsule. I used to have those same cymbal boom stands. Overkill, but they can survive decades of abuse.
    Right! I still have a couple of the big bulky weighted stands myself. I'm so glad I don't have to travel with those heavy things lol

User Info Menu

They are a little heavy but they are so sturdy and solid you could hang a 18in tom on them! lol
    Everything fits in 3 road cases's that are on wheels so it aint bad unless a lot of stair's are involved! lol
    Last edited by 54bogger; 03-06-2015 at 10:21 AM.

User Info Menu

I used to play with one tom without the resonator head. I don't do that now but at the time I liked it.

User Info Menu

I use concert toms. They sound like regular toms though. I found a head (Remo Coated Vintage Emperor) that really seems to make them come alive while adding a ton of low end. They don't have to be super dead sounding!

User Info Menu

man that Ludwig set is cool !. always liked Dave Holland's sound too when he was with Priest. AVH used them quite a bit too.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN