Thread: Moving around the kit more easily with one simple fill! (Only 0.99$ for trial!)

User Info Menu

Default Moving around the kit more easily with one simple fill! (Only 0.99$ for trial!)

Hey, I just thought of a quick simple fill that will help you with moving around the kit. It's entirely based off triplets so it should be simple, but if you mess up on your sticking, you're in trouble! Best to start slow with this.

12/8
    T1:---xxx-------
    T2:-------xxx---
    FT:----------xxx
    SD:xxx---------

Sticking is RLRLRLRLRLRL (it's easier than doing it with your left because otherwise you crossover). Which means it goes RLR on the snare, then LRL on the first tom, then RLR again, then LRL again. Simple right?
    Ok the part where this will will help you is the fact that it's in 12/8 time. This is triplet time (as I like to call it, heh)! See, if the fill was in 4/4 time, a triplet would generally be 3/16th notes, leaving you with an extra 1/16th note in every quarter note (I hope I explained that well). Basically, the fill would sound like the intro fill to this song http://youtube.com/watch?v=cfVTSSft7...elated&search=. There's little gaps in there which he uses to move between the drums.
    Now, in 12/8 time, you've got enough eighth notes to make each eighth note a triplet. So, your fill is continuous. No stops. You go from one drum to the other.

For those of you who TL;DR this: Triplets in 12/8 time in a descending manner will help you move around the kit more fluider.
    (Inspired by Terry Bozzio's performance on 'The Black Page' by none other than Zappa )
    Enjoy!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

This looks good Yay for something new to practice
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

It sounds ridiculously cheesy when you get it going pretty fast...fwahfwahfwahduhduhduhdununundoodoodoo
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

My teacher taught me this too, great exercise.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered