Thread: Just curious

User Info Menu

Default Just curious

Has anyone heard of any drummers who play with a minimal setup. For example, snare and a couple of cymbals? Just curious.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by Practicepad View Post
    Has anyone heard of any drummers who play with a minimal setup. For example, snare and a couple of cymbals? Just curious.

Thanks.
    One of my drum teachers pointed out a drummer by the name of Al Coster (brother of Tom Coster of Santana),who was so good, all he needed was a high hat ,ride cymbal,snare and bass drum.

So yeah,minimum can be unique.

I also think the guy from Presidents of the United states played a minimal kit at times.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I've done that before. I played with a folk band and used only a snare and hi hat.

My friend plays gigs with bongo drums.

User Info Menu

I've played a couple shows in my old band like that. All depends on situations and venues. Even currently I pack accordingly to venue.

User Info Menu

James McDonnell (a.k.a. Slim Jim Phantom) of Stray Cats fame ...

User Info Menu

I always ask myself, "Why?". Not trying to be smart but that's like getting a coloring book and only using two crayons to color. What's the point when it's just as easy to set up a couple more drums and cymbals. That then opens up hundreds of more sounds and textures to 'color' with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I always ask myself, "Why?".
    They only own a sub compact vehicle and no one will haul their gear?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Small venue?

Busking?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I always ask myself, "Why?". Not trying to be smart but that's like getting a coloring book and only using two crayons to color. What's the point when it's just as easy to set up a couple more drums and cymbals. That then opens up hundreds of more sounds and textures to 'color' with.
    Because sometimes texture and color isn't needed. Just balls to the wall boogie groovin' as per the Stray Cats guy.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I just like the looks. I love to be seen and not hidden behind behind my instrument. Why should guitarists and singers have all the glory?

all the best...

User Info Menu

I use that set up at acoustic drum sessions a lot. It is fun explore all the sounds that are available, and a fun challenge. I also use this set up at most of our band's rehearsals cuz I am too lazy to drag the entire set
    That's My Rumor & I'm Sticking To It

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Anderson View Post
    I use that set up at acoustic drum sessions a lot. It is fun explore all the sounds that are available, and a fun challenge. I also use this set up at most of our band's rehearsals cuz I am too lazy to drag the entire set
    Agree

all the best...

User Info Menu

Did a gig like that the other week. it was a small space and we were down a person anyway. I took my e-bass drum to save space (still had to take my throne which is the heaviest piece of equipment I have), ran it through a guitar amp and it sounded fine.

I wouldn't exactly call it coloring with two crayons, more like painting with two colors. You can mix them and make more colors, the better you are, the more interesting painting you'll paint. But for a 3 hour set, it could get a bit repetitive and honestly, for such a small set up, why bother taking anything more than a cajon (besides the fact cajons are 5% as fun to play as kits!)
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Practicepad View Post

Thanks.
    Don't forget the guy from the Stray Cats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyq-dYurBuA.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

It takes away the other aspects of a kit and forces you to focus on the basics a bit more. It can work, actually - just gotta learn to play your fills and your beat on the same drums. You know you're really good when you can do solos on a two piece, so I think they have their place, as good development tools.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I have from time to time.....usually because of a small stage area.

Kick Snare rack and floor. Hats and two crashes with a ride. Always a cowbell.

As mentioned....to me sometimes it's about color.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Don't forget the guy from the Stray Cats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyq-dYurBuA.
    What an awesome video!

User Info Menu

The Violent Femmes. They got discovered playing on the street for people in line to buy Pretenders tickets. The drummer played just a snare with brushes and a splash. If you see them live he still plays a part of their set that way. Also look up some Likke Li live stuff. They film all kinds of backstage jams and radio/television spots. The drummer will use one drum and sometimes just play on a guitar case. It's really cool stuff.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Sure.

I've played just a djembe many times.

As far as minimalist kits, I think it really depends on the kind of music. With the group I'm playing with now, I think I could possibly get away with kick, snare, hats, ride, and crash; however, I love my two other toms so I'll use those.

To answer Tom's "why?" question, I think a minimalist kit is good whenever there's a lot of other music going on and having a minimalist kit may help with over-playing. I mean, if I'm doing some Cowboy Junkies songs, I may not need that third floor tom, you know? I may only need some brushes, a kick, hats, snare, and crash/ride. I'd hate to set up a bunch of drums just to not use them or only hit them a couple of times.

User Info Menu

I watched that show Hee Haw for years...never saw the drummer hit a tom tom even once.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I watched that show Hee Haw for years...never saw the drummer hit a tom tom even once.

all the best...
    Probably a lack of need for ear protection, too, huh?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Personally, I'm just lazy, and would rather carry around less gear. I'll make due with less.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Here's my thinking. A guy like Mike Mangini is a great drummer and I am amazed at his chops and his kit, but I also appreciate those who do with much less both in kit size and playing. I could never imagine myself having a huge kit or being able to play like that but it's not bad, just different.

Room for everybody I guess.