Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Birch Shells

User Info Menu

Default Re: Birch Shells

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    No. Some drummers assume larger toms should be tuned as small toms are tuned. Then they are surprised when those methods don't give satisfactory results. Same for heads-some assume all batter heads should match all toms, yet it's OK for the BD to use completely different heads.
    Im the one confused now - just exactly how are these "surprised" drummers tuning their toms and how is it they "should" tune their toms? Also, why should the batter heads be different from one tom to another?
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Just saying, if you have a" problem " tom, there's nothing keeping you from trying heads different from the others on the kit to solve the problem. Not that all drummers should tune all toms differently. Flybynight admitted to using different heads on a FT, I have used a heavier reso on a 14" tom to control its ringing...depends on what sound you're after.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Birch Shells

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Does anyone have a birch kit? After struggling to tune my Ludwigs, I decided to tune everything low. Except the snare. I swear they're the best sounding drums I've ever heard. Especially in resonance and attack! I use clear emperors over ambassadors with min-emads on each tom, and one on the snare. I've had countless issues with my floor tom, but I figured it out. I tune the reso tight and the batter finger tight. What can you say about birch shells?
    Pearl Vision Birch Lacquered here.. 22" bass, 8", 10", 12", 14", 16" toms.. Steel snare..

Love it..
    Pearl VBL Concord fade (22" bd, 8"-10"-12"-14"-16" tt)
    Pearl JJ1365 Joey Jordison signature snare
    Sabian AAX cymbal setup (14" X-plosion hats, 8" Splash, 14" Crash, 16"-18" Fast Crashes, 18" China, 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride)
    Tama Iron Cobra douple pedal (powerglide) and HH-stand (flexi glide)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I have 9 toms with my Ludwigs. I don't use all of them all the time, but when I buy heads, I buy for all of them.

The sizes are 12x10, 13x10, 13x11, (2) 14x10, 15x12, (2) 16x16, and a 18x16.

Outside of the BD and snare, I treat them all the same when I tune them.
    Omg.. 9 toms.. Post a photo..
    Sabian AAX cymbal setup (14" X-plosion hats, 8" Splash, 14" Crash, 16"-18" Fast Crashes, 18" China, 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    This is interesting. This is the first negative review I've heard of the Silverstar kit. Everyone I've talked to loves them, and reviews are very good. I guess I will find out tomorrow because that's what I ordered! The audio I've heard sounded very good, so we will see. I've owned some Pearl Vision toms and did not like them, they were the only birch drums I wasn't really a fan of. The 10" was very nice actually, but the 12" sounded dead no matter how I tuned it, with any heads I had. Both are now for sale!
    No, THIS is interesting... Everyone I've talked to, loves Vision toms.. Including me and my bandmates.. My every tom sounds good, even I've not yet made fine tuning.. Got my 8x7" tom yesterday, but just got it so didn't have time to stay tune that very accurately.. Should go today to trainingplace and make some tuning and adjusting..

User Info Menu

Coated Emporer over clear Emperor. I keep the stock UT resonant heads on. They seem heavier, like clear emperor weight and add a nice deep sound to the tone.
    Less Ring but a fundamentally lower pitch.
    Yamaha Maple / Stage / Absolute Hybrid Customs
    Gretsch USA Customs

User Info Menu

Have all birch Yamaha Recording Custom's. Love them. Evans clear G2's over G1's on the toms with the original Yamaha Pinstripe on the bass drum. Bass drum sounds phenomenal with this combo.

User Info Menu

I have all birch shells (except snare) and they are quite shallow so tuning is a bit tricky. Luckily its a superstar hyperdrive kit so they still produce a big sound for being rather shallow 10,12 and 16. The bass is 22 long and 22 wide. ITS A CANNON! BOOM

Tuning is not my strong point anyways. I am building a home made drum dial right now so hope that helps once I get them ear tuned to near perfection - just write down every number on each tom and replicate it every few weeks when tuning adjustment is needed

PS I use Ec2 batter heads on the toms
    TAMA HYPERDRIVE BIRCH (rare champagne sparkle finish), TAMA hardware and SABIAN cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JuHiZz69 View Post
    Omg.. 9 toms.. Post a photo..

There you go! 9 toms!

User Info Menu

I have a early 70's birch Beverley set, Emporers over Ambassadors for these. image.jpg
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red