Thread: Drum kit trading-anybody do this successfully?

User Info Menu

Default Drum kit trading-anybody do this successfully?

I'm thinking about trading my 8 pc. Yammies for a different, lower -priced kit at the local GC. I initially paid about $1000 for the maple Yammies 2 yrs. ago and they still look new. The kit I'm interested in is smaller and about 1/2 that price, new. Has anyone traded "straight up" or "even up" for a new kit?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum kit trading-anybody do this successfully?

I've traded other musical instruments for drums, and drums for other musical instruments, but never drums for drums. As far as trading at GC, they generally only give you 50% of the average used value of what you're trading. I've brought used items to them before, and the sales guy got on his smart phone and looked on that popular online auction site to see what that item was going for. Them offered me half of that amount. He told me that is the store policy.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

I traded a 4 piece Sonor S.E. Basswood shell kit , kick Tom and two fl toms for my 30" Zildjian Gong. Sonor kit sold for $500.00 as did the gong.

User Info Menu

Retail is the wrong way to go. They need to make a profit. High rent and wages and all. Here's an idea though...Break the set into 2 four piece kits and sell privately. You just might get that set you want for practically free.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I've only done it privately. Traded my Tama Superstars' even for my Pearl Masters Custom kit that I have now.
    ||Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius||

Pearl Masters Custom - Emerald Mist with gold hardware 12/13/16/22

PDP LX - Cherry Fade
    8/10/12/14/16/22

Zildjian A Custom 16/18/20 1970's 14" New Beat hats
    Sabian 16" Ozone crash

Roland TD-3 and TD-10 A to E Kit.

User Info Menu

I traded a Hart-64 kit for a set of Mapex Saturns a few years ago. Straight up. No money exchanged hands. We even paid our own shipping.

That was a bit of trust that had to happen. It went smoothly. We both shipped at the same time and received the gear about a day apart with no uneasy situations.

It was actually with 2slow, too.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

If I like the deal i'm getting in return for what i'm giving, i'm open to it. I agree with KG though, retail is full of sharks trying to run one over on you. Personally i'd sell, get the money and sleep on it for a couple nights, see if you change your mind and want something else first - then decide.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

i have, didn't have any issues, he even delivered.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Trading items through commercial dealers (or pawn shops), be it cars, drums, guitars, whatever, is never usually the best deal. Those places NEED to make money in order to stayin business. You rarely get even close to market value because they must be able to sell your item(s) at market value and still make an acceptable profit margin. An exception would be if they know they can flip your item quickly....or if the item you want to trade for is dead inventory. In that case, they may give you close to market value. However, it never hurts to ask. Main thing is to not get offended if they offer less that you think. It's just business.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

^100%
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments