Thread: New here and looking for some info about cajons

User Info Menu

Default New here and looking for some info about cajons

Hi, I'm new here and I have been drumming for almost 15 years now, but my girlfriend is moving in with me and we have decided to get the drumkit out of the house. so I thought of getting a cajon since it is way smaller and versatile and no where near as loud, at least this is what everyone says.

I've been looking for cajons for a while now, but none of my friends have a cajon so I haven't had the chance to try any but all of them keep telling me about Meinl and Schlakwerk or spanish brands, I'm planing to go to the store, but I would like to have some insight before making any decision, and this is where hopefully you guys come in.

Is a cajon a good alternative?

thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: New here and looking for some info about cajons

My band was asked to play an acoustic gig in a small coffee shop a while ago. Instead of bringing a limited drum kit, I decided to pick up a cajon a couple weeks prior to the gig. I went to my local GC one day and set 3 or 4 different cajons next to each other. I played a little beat on each one until I found the one I liked best. My personal preference, and the one I bought, was the LP Americana series.

The cajon is by no means a miniature drum set, but it is definitely fun to play. It's great for acoustic jams. You can get lots of different sounds out of it.

I would suggest playing a few, and seeing what you think from there.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Thanks for answering so quick!

Hopefully I'll be able to go to the store this weekend. I'll just play every cajon I see there.

Anyone has other suggestions?

User Info Menu

Just to add, when we played that acoustic gig, I also used a small foot-strap tambourine, and a 10" splash cymbal on a small stand, that I would just hit with my hand. It was definitely fun to play! Enjoy!
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danarcos View Post
    but my girlfriend is moving in with me and we have decided to get the drumkit out of the house
    ooh

I must be having a bad dream or something

User Info Menu

Getting rid of kit for a girl?? aaaaanyway

I did something similar to powertrip except I decided on a Pearl and the price was only $100. I played a ouside street performance with a band (busking) and loved the sound. My wife said you could hear it 2 blocks away : )

One thing I really liked when testing them out is having the tunable snare wires inside, not all cajons have this feature but for playing drumset stuff it is a must IMO. I also brought a small cymbal stand with me and played my 10" K splash and it was a perfect addition. I would also recommend getting something soft to sit on. LP makes a nice cushion that fits most Cajons.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by MDK; 03-09-2015 at 07:33 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Powertrip pretty much nailed. Not much to add except that a cajon isn't really an "alternative" to a drum set. You may want to remain practicing your rock beats etc...So you can play in a band with louder amps and stuff.
    As for cajons, there's quite a few. LP, Meinl, Pearl, Gon Bop, Rhythm Tech (I think) come to mind. Also, if you're good with tools you could make one your self and customize it to your own specs. I believe there's members on here who have done that and you can find the threads.

all the best...

User Info Menu

It's time for a new girlfriend.

Seriously, welcome to Drum Chat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    It's time for a new girlfriend.

Seriously, welcome to Drum Chat.
    +1 We all come with a certain amount of baggage. If you unload the drums then she has to unload something of equal value, say like her mother. On a serious note, Earthtone Cajon, it's a small custom shop in Tucson. I met the owner and some of the builders one night. They had two of them on hand. Very nice, %100 Baltic birch, hand made.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

I like the LP Americana groove cajon. One of my favorites under $200. It has a lot of bass, and a nice crisp snare tone. If you can spurge a little more, check out the Gon Bops Alex Acuna models, or some of the nicer schlegwerks.

User Info Menu

Cajons are great. I love using mine for acoustic gigs and impromptu jam sessions & parties. I'm just doubt you'll be happy getting rid of a full kit, however. I would look at an E-kit or small jungle kit with mute pads or something. Probably be quieter than a Cajon as well. As for the girlfriend, she should want YOU to be happy. There should be middle ground somewhere. Good luck and WELCOME to DC!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    Just to add, when we played that acoustic gig, I also used a small foot-strap tambourine, and a 10" splash cymbal on a small stand, that I would just hit with my hand. It was definitely fun to play! Enjoy!
    I did the same for our New Years gig. I had to strap the tambourine on my Left foot, because I still tended to play "air bass" with my Right foot. The tambourine didn't sound right unless played on 2 & 4 like a snare, so I had to switch it to my hi-hat foot (left), LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I've owned a regular cajon for a while but never really liked the way you had to play it. There are stands that let you play a cajon like any other hand drum so the playing surface is flat, but it wasn't worth the $150 price just for an angle change. So, I sold my regular cajon and got an LP 12"x5" Octo Snare Cajon. This is a super cool instrument. You can just play it on your lap or in a snare basket. One side has snares and sounds like a regular cajon, the other side sounds like a conga. The bass may not be as deep as some of the full sized models that you sit on, but it's a lot more resonant than most and you can get just as many if not more sounds out of this little one.
    If this is not what you want, the best-sounding box cajons I've played are made by Schlagwerk, Pearl and Gon Bops. There are some smaller companies making awesome-sounding ones as well but they are not going to be as easy to find let alone play locally.
    Also note the huge number of cajon add-ons available...foot percussion (shaker, tambourine, ankle bells, shell rattle), cajon pedals, cajon-mounted accessories (tambourine, castanets, wood blocks, clave), finger attachments (shakers, jingles, castanet, thumb bell), hand cymbals, brushes, rods, and then items that will attach to your wrist (like small bells or seed shells) or legs (side snare, jingle tap). And then there are all kinds of mounted hand percussion you can use on stands. You get the idea...you don't have to just stick to the cajon itself.

User Info Menu

How about a compromise - keep your kit in cases when you are not practicing - they can be stacked in a corner when not in use and take up little space. If volume is going to be an issue for your girlfriend - those foam rubber silencer pads work well enough. If you play in a different room then volume shouldn't be an issue

No reason for you not to buy a cajon as well...

User Info Menu

I have a home-made cajon with no snares. I didn't build it, myself. I got it from an ebay seller who is no longer active. It is substantially bigger than anything I have seen in any store (14" x 14" x 22"). I get the "snare" sound by keeping the screws loose, kinda like the ones in my head. It gets a nice bass tone with no snares to distort the sound. A few days ago, I got a Gon Bops Tambao Pro cajon. It is closer to a typical size and, compared to my hand made one, way lighter. I got it because it came with the ChromaCast direct drive cajon pedal. I ordered the cajon so I'd have one that would fit the pedal. It turns out that I can use the pedal with my big cajon.

I have played my cajon, the big one, and took a cymbal one occasion. I have used Vater Monster Brushes with good results.

I also built one from plywood I found in the trash, but given my limited woodworking skills, that one stays in the house.

Check this thread: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ons-28301.html
    Last edited by Jack Keck; 03-09-2015 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Added link for related thread
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Keck View Post

I have used Vater Monster Brushes with good results.

Check this thread: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ons-28301.html
    That's what I was wondering about. How successful you folks have been using brushes on a cajon? I have a set of the plastic brushes, which I assume would work better than metal?

Thanks.

User Info Menu

I have never liked plastic brushes on anything. I use wire ones and they worked very well on every cajon I've tried them on.

User Info Menu

I use this from Schlagwerk:

The bass cajon can be used as a standard, sit-on, cajon although I tend to use the base plate pictured which allows me to use a kick pedal. The above comes supplied with a rubber beater to use in any kick pedal as most standard beaters will be too hard and damage it. The little cajinto allows me to use rods or hands to play and coupled with a hi-hat and a small cymbal or two, results in a suitable replacement for my main kit for small accoustic situations.

Not the cheapest option but the above comes with:

Bass Cajon
    Cajinto
    Cajinto stand
    Base plate
    Beater
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Practicepad View Post
    That's what I was wondering about. How successful you folks have been using brushes on a cajon? I have a set of the plastic brushes, which I assume would work better than metal?

Thanks.
    The Vater brushes I have are plastic. I like them a lot. I don't remember using wire ones.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

I just picked this bad boy up a few weeks ago:

It, along with my djembe and foot jingle, have replaced my kit for acoustic gigs. I'm using plastic brushes on it though. Wire ones worry me since I use them on the djembe as well.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads