Thread: Need cymbal pack and cymbals advice

User Info Menu

Default Need cymbal pack and cymbals advice

I'm a drummer returning to the fold and am starting over with equipment. My goal is to start a Def Leppard tribute band (already found a guitar player) and I've been out of the loop for awhile and other then being familiar with Sabian and Zildjian I don't know which model of each is better then the other.

For the type of music I'm playing, can I get a cymbal pack that would provide the sound that I need? For some reason, it seems like cymbal packs are the cheap, crappy cymbals but maybe I'm wrong. I don't have thousands to spend but I don't want to get crap either.

I'll need 1 ride, 1 crash and hi hats to start. Maybe I can get more if I find a good value.....

Thanks a lot everyone!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need cymbal pack and cymbals advice

Cymbal packs are always a great value. Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, and Meinl all have packs at several price points. My advice would be to splurge on one of the nicer packs. The A Zildjian pack runs around $700. It comes with a 21in sweet ride, 16 and 18 in crashes, and 14in new beat hats. Those cymbals will work for just about any musical situation. If you want something with a little brighter sound, check out the A custom or AAX packs. Any of those will be a solid start, and you could add a splash or China for some extra color down the road.

Also don't be afraid to check out used cymbals as well. You can save hundreds going the used route. My theory is if it isn't cracked it is new to me.

User Info Menu

Paiste PST7 pack.

They have a 'Light', 'Medium', and a 'Heavy' pack.

For the money you pay and the sound you get... amazing. (Think a 'price-sensitive' version of Paiste 2oo2).

I'd say get the 'Heavy' Pack.

Last edited by EyePea; 03-11-2015 at 07:14 AM.

User Info Menu

I'd look into used cymbals..............get a lot more for your money. If you find some and have questions, we'd be glad to give advice.

Welcome to DC

User Info Menu

Don't know your budget, but you can more bang for buck if you go used. Just be careful and request more pictures and ask questions. Sabians XS 20 cymbal packs are said to be good mid range cymbals if going new depending on your budget.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I always liked the Zildjian A Custom packs, but I'd like to trade out the hats for New Beats.

User Info Menu

It really depends on your budget ($300? $1000?) and the sound your looking for. I think the used route would be the most cost effective. If you have a local store you can go to and play an assortment of cymbals, that will give you an idea of what you like and the price ranges. It's a good place to start.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

You will get the most for your money if you buy used cymbals, as long as they're in good condition.

User Info Menu

Used, used, used, used.

The only way to go if you are regrouping and buying on budget.

Go to ebay and get the following: (Here we go again, regular readers!)

-Ride: 20" Zildjian A Medium Ride or Ping Ride ($90 - 125)
    -Crash: 18" Zildjian A Medium, Medium/Thin, or Thin ($70 - 90)
    -HiHats: 14" Zildjian A New Beats, Quick Beats, or Mastersound ($90 - 140/set)

Why these?

-They are plentiful
    -They are underpriced
    -They will work with the music you are going to play
    -You can get your money back when you sell
    -The dirtier they are the cheaper they are - will clean up like new with BarKeepers Friend (don't doubt me on this!)
    -Best of all, they sound great

Once you play the As for a while, you will come across cymbals you like better. Sell the As for exactly what you paid for them and step up. Or, find out what great cymbals they are, keep them, and add to the family.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Used, used, used, used.

The only way to go if you are regrouping and buying on budget.

Go to ebay and get the following: (Here we go again, regular readers!)

-Ride: 20" Zildjian A Medium Ride or Ping Ride ($90 - 125)
    -Crash: 18" Zildjian A Medium, Medium/Thin, or Thin ($70 - 90)
    -HiHats: 14" Zildjian A New Beats, Quick Beats, or Mastersound ($90 - 140/set)

Why these?

-They are plentiful
    -They are underpriced
    -They will work with the music you are going to play
    -You can get your money back when you sell
    -The dirtier they are the cheaper they are - will clean up like new with BarKeepers Friend (don't doubt me on this!)
    -Best of all, they sound great

Once you play the As for a while, you will come across cymbals you like better. Sell the As for exactly what you paid for them and step up. Or, find out what great cymbals they are, keep them, and add to the family.

GeeDeeEmm
    Thank you so much everyone....such great advice. Used is definitely the way I'm gonna go. I apologize if I was looking for info that has been asked over and over again...I'm sure that must get old. I do try and search before asking stuff but I should've tried harder.

Thanks again! I'll keep you posted!

User Info Menu

Definitely go used, and one more point why:

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!! Even though the major brands machine manufacture their cymbals, there still can be a big difference in sound in the same model. It depends a bit on where you live, but for $500 you should easily be able to get top quality cymbals via craigslist and stores which sell new cymbals, but also tend to also have old ones as well.

Good luck!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

there are a few online stores that offer "pay as you play" options that charge your CC once a month for a few months...0 interest too!

I think the Sabian AAX are the best all around cymbal for the $$.
    Are you going to play with just one arm too?

User Info Menu

search this below on ebay...these cymbals are boss, and that's a sweet deal if it;s in your budget. pro quality cymbal set, warranty...reputable seller to boot.

Sabian 25005XXP AAX Ltd Ed Cymbal Set 14 Hi Hat 16 Crash 20 Ride Free 18 Crash!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by littlestrummerBOY View Post
    there are a few online stores that offer "pay as you play" options that charge your CC once a month for a few months...0 interest too!

I think the Sabian AAX are the best all around cymbal for the $$.
    Are you going to play with just one arm too?
    id agree with this, and if thats still a bit to steep for your budget id say zildjian zbt's, you can get a pack for 209.00 just make sure you get the one with the full size ride, not the 18". that said there's plus and minus to each budget pack, find the one you like best. also, used is a good way to go as stated, also, also, dont forget about the upstarts such as Kasza, R series, great cymbals for rock, no packs as far as i know but priced similarly. for b20 bronze, at their price point, you connot beat em.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Guys, I feel REALLY bad because after all your great help I ended up picking up an e-kit today. I know I know but it was just too good to pass up. I hope this thread will help someone else or even me later when I add an acoustic kit to my arsenal!

User Info Menu

I really can't believe how many of you would buy cymbals without actually hearing them!

Would you buy a car without driving it?
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    I really can't believe how many of you would buy cymbals without actually hearing them!

This is exactly the reason I recommended the used Zildjian "A" cymbals. In over fifty years of using Zildjian "As," (some of them bought online, unheard), I have yet to get one that was simply unusable. Yes, over time I've found a couple that just didn't blend with the cymbals I already had, but they were not bad cymbals. The Zildjian "A", especially in the sizes and weights suggested, are almost foolproof to buy. But even if one managed to find one that was not up to snuff, reselling it for the same price paid makes them a no risk proposition.

Otherwise, I am in total agreement with your stated concerns.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post

Hell yes! New Infinity? SOLD!! New Honda Pilot? SOLD! shall I go on?

Plus, for cymbals, youtube and manufacturer pages have great clips. Hell, Memphis drum shop has about every decent cymbal you can think of on youtube for a cyber test drive.

If you use good headphones, you get the idea.

I also knew I loved the sound of AAX xplosion cymbals after playing one in-store, then bought several others in diff sizes online. it ain't rocket science broseph!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    This is exactly the reason I recommended the used Zildjian "A" cymbals. In over fifty years of using Zildjian "As," (some of them bought online, unheard), I have yet to get one that was simply unusable. Yes, over time I've found a couple that just didn't blend with the cymbals I already had, but they were not bad cymbals. The Zildjian "A", especially in the sizes and weights suggested, are almost foolproof to buy. But even if one managed to find one that was not up to snuff, reselling it for the same price paid makes them a no risk proposition.

Otherwise, I am in total agreement with your stated concerns.

GeeDeeEmm
    This is interesting because out of all the cymbals I've played, the most inconsistent ones from one of the top brands were Zildjian A's. I've heard some awful-sounding ones, and some that sounded excellent. However they are easy to sell regardless of this so it's still worth a try if there are no used cymbals available locally. But it's always better to try to find some near you so you can play them first.

User Info Menu

New or used doesn't really matter so much (unless they've intentionally kept the cymbals dirty), and yes, you still test drive new cars (or you should anyway).

I'd wanted to buy my Zildjian A for a very long time, even before i got back into drums, so after about 18 months of playing an ekit, i went to a store to try it out. the sound was off, not at all what i wanted.

fast forward another 18months, same store, same type of cymbal, but different one, the exact sound i wanted. in fact, when i told the clerks about this, one got embarrassed because he bought the one i said was not the right sound, and they both agreed the one i took has much better sound.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride

User Info Menu

I was recently looking for a new ride,tried so many at the local music stores,at one point I was trying out 2 new 21" AAX raw bell dry rides,side by side on stands,very visably different size bells, very visably different lathing,and one was noticeably heavier,and totally noticeable that it was thicker when hit...I used to buy used but sold them quick cause I didn't like them when played at home, (and usually loose $10 in the whole deal plus the time it takes to finally sell it) so now I try them at the store and rent the ones I like ($4 a day) then buy the one I want...I have OCD
    ( can rent the used ones as well,if in good shape,and they usually are)
    Last edited by myk; 03-15-2015 at 06:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Ha ha...found my old thread! Man, I just can't get over Def Leppard. LOL Well I ended up selling the kit that I mentioned in this thread (A Kat K2....just ok) and getting into a new one now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy2015 View Post
    Ha ha...found my old thread! Man, I just can't get over Def Leppard. LOL Well I ended up selling the kit that I mentioned in this thread (A Kat K2....just ok) and getting into a new one now.
    Welcome back!!

User Info Menu

Ideally yes, I'd like to try out multiple examples of every cymbal I'm potentially interested in (some of which may be from smaller brands) and hand-pick the best one. I'd also like to pay used cymbal prices no matter which one I choose.

However, I don't know a free, easy, and reliable way to make this happen. Most used cymbals exist somewhere else besides the short distance I'm able to drive to check them out. Getting them sent here so I can try them is not free. Local stores only have a small inventory of used cymbals which probably only has one each of a few of the models I want to hear.

So, I think we all have to make the best compromises we can for our unique situations. Higher end drummers will compromise on the cost and effort in order to obtain the exact sound they want. As a beginner drummer, I plan to compromise on selection and ability to pre-listen to keep my costs reasonable - I cannot justify paying top dollar at my skill level.

My plan is to visit the local stores and try what they have - new or used. If what I like ends up being used, great! If not, I will look for a used version of the same cymbal through MyCymbal, local craigslist, and eBay, preferring ones that have a sound file or a way to demo them. In doing so, I take a minor risk, but as was said you can resell used cymbals and get the vast majority of your money back so if I do get stung it should not be too bad I hope.

User Info Menu

I'd go for thePST pack way to go mate don't tell me this is an old thread hell