Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BD beater patch

User Info Menu

Default Re: BD beater patch

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    It's feels like you're hitting a rock with no rebound.
    that's about right!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I think it's time to change this one..This is still my stock Sonor batter, a little over a year old now. Whats with all the white gub around the patch? Looks like tacky glue but that is the oly patch I ever had on it and it has never moved?

[IMG][/IMG]
    It's residue from your felt beater. I use that same patch...with the Iron Cobra like you. Mine looks the same. Ditch that Evans patch. They are too rough and destroy the felts.

User Info Menu

yeah mine destroyed my felt also. That's one reason I use the back side plastic

User Info Menu

I had a 10-year-old double ply head (pinstripe maybe?) on my kick and one of the plies tore. I got one of those Falamm (sp?) white patches and played it for another 7-8 years.

After that, I replaced it with an EMAD which comes with that little plastic patch for the beater. I'll probably never play another head besides an EMAD. Love the sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    I had a 10-year-old double ply head (pinstripe maybe?) on my kick and one of the plies tore. I got one of those Falamm (sp?) white patches and played it for another 7-8 years.

After that, I replaced it with an EMAD which comes with that little plastic patch for the beater. I'll probably never play another head besides an EMAD. Love the sound.
    the EMAD and GMAD heads are mint money!! I love mine!

User Info Menu

I stopped using the BD patch when I started recording my kit. It added too much 'click' to the sound for my liking. I was looking for a more vintage sounding bass drum and I found it by doing a couple of things - one of which was removing the patch. (My batter is a 2-ply Ludwig WeatherMaster)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    It's residue from your felt beater. I use that same patch...with the Iron Cobra like you. Mine looks the same. Ditch that Evans patch. They are too rough and destroy the felts.
    Yeah I took it off yesterday and my new VKB1 vic firth beater is a little worse for wear. Dang it. I will post a pic of it later today. I can still use it but it does not look good. Lesson learned on using those evans patches.

Weird part is the patch never moved or the beater so how all that felt got around the outside of the patch is beyond me.

Head is ruined as well, I messed it up trying to get the patch off
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Moleskin patches with felt beater. Replace every 6 mo. or so. Cheap & available almost anywhere shoe inserts are sold!
    Took off my remo falem plastic patch off my bass drum head today and put on a piece of moleskin, (bought a roll of it at the local pharmacy)such a better sound, thanks for the idea slinglander
    Last edited by myk; 04-14-2015 at 07:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    Took off my remo flalem plastic patch off my bass drum head today and put on a piece of moleskin, (bought a roll of it at the local pharmacy)such a better sound, thanks for the idea slinglander
    I took mine off too. I used wd-40. came off with all the glue perfectly. I'm just using the bare head. I'll have to try the moleskin!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I've tried them in the past and my jury remains out. Right now I go au natural on my 18" Gretsch. It's an Aquarian clear head. I have switched back to a conventional barrel shaped felt beater too, and I'm not a hard player, so I'm not too worried about head breakage.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I was going to go with a bare head, I'm not too hard of a hitter, but I thought I should have something to protect any stretching where the beater hits

User Info Menu

I used this patch:

With these beaters, plastic side striking the head:

I find it gives me more time with the bass drum head. Tends to wear out quicker with no patch.

Years ago I used a patch with a plastic disc behind it with wooden beaters for more attack. That was good for live situations but I don't play live anymore.

User Info Menu

I have the Falam Slam Kevlar double patch on mine. I got it when I bought my new head at the recommendation of the salesperson. I was brand new to drums at the time and I never heard the sound without the patch. I am a real feather foot, and I don't plan on putting one on my new bass drum when it shows up.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare