Thread: Tama Rack

User Info Menu

Default Tama Rack

I did some searching around here and didn't find any more recent posts on the topic. I have the option of picking up a rather large Tama Power Tower rack for dirt cheap. My concern is the ability to get parts/accessories for it. A few quick searches didn't yield much on being able to order parts.

And no, I'm not looking to use it as the cage setup. I'd like to take the parts and build a low mounted rack similar to these:

I'm worried if I get the Tama stuff, I wouldn't be able to buy the parts need to make such a setup work. Anyone have experience with Tama rack parts availability?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Rack

Gibraltar and Tama rack parts are interchangable.

User Info Menu

Well that's huge! Thanks for the info

User Info Menu

Hey, Spaz!

Are you seeing these low-level racks? What you've done with your X kit is quite attractive - but, how low can you go?

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Yupp. The rack in the first pic has identical clamps to gibraltar.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Angus, sorry to but in because I don't know anything about the tama racks but I just wanted to say, that last pic you posted is a beautiful set and I've never seen a rack llow like that!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Hey, Spaz!

Are you seeing these low-level racks? What you've done with your X kit is quite attractive - but, how low can you go?

GeeDeeEmm

Funny I sat there saying the exact same thing.......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Yupp. The rack in the first pic has identical clamps to gibraltar.
    That is a Gibraltar rack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgraham798 View Post
    Angus, sorry to but in because I don't know anything about the tama racks but I just wanted to say, that last pic you posted is a beautiful set and I've never seen a rack llow like that!
    That rack was built for Morgan Rose of Sevendust. While it wasn't the first low rack, it's probably the most famous. He's used it for his last 2 tours.

User Info Menu

I get a rack like pictured above isn't economical. Actually, it's almost like buying 2 racks because all horizontal pieces are doubled. If I hadn't found a deal on most of the components, I wouldn't consider it.

But I do feel it's a best of both worlds. You get to keep the bulk of your hardware low like regular stands and keep the benefits of a rack system with quick and memorized set up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    The same would go for DW, and PDP. Anything with a 1 1/2" pipe. DW and Tama have stainless tubing.

Not a fan of the double row of tubing in those pics. I like the fact that they did a low stealth setup, just don't see the reason to have two horizontal rows. I guess they wanted it stronger, but is does draw a lot of attention away from the kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    The same would go for DW, and PDP. Anything with a 1 1/2" pipe. DW and Tama have stainless tubing.

Not a fan of the double row of tubing in those pics. I like the fact that they did a low stealth setup, just don't see the reason to have two horizontal rows. I guess they wanted it stronger, but is does draw a lot of attention away from the kit.
    I was pretty sure about the DW stuff but Ive never used it so I didnt want to say.

User Info Menu

I just swapped out all my Gibraltar for DW/PDP. All interchangeable

User Info Menu

It's definitely not for everyone but I'm not certain it takes much away from the kit. Is it really that big of a difference than looking at the legs of 12 stands?

Also, the pic of the red kit is an actual Pearl promo shot so they are making the rack stand out on purpose. Here's a pic of the same set up

I don't think it takes away but that's just my opinion.

And thanks for all the info on interchangeability. I was pricing out a new Gibraltar set up and when I hit $1000 and not even close to being finsihed, I wasn't so happy. Knowing I could get the Tama setup for 1/4 of that and still get accessories to dial it in is a much better pill to swallow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
    It's definitely not for everyone but I'm not certain it takes much away from the kit. Is it really that big of a difference than looking at the legs of 12 stands?

Also, the pic of the red kit is an actual Pearl promo shot so they are making the rack stand out on purpose. Here's a pic of the same set up

I don't think it takes away but that's just my opinion.

And thanks for all the info on interchangeability. I was pricing out a new Gibraltar set up and when I hit $1000 and not even close to being finsihed, I wasn't so happy. Knowing I could get the Tama setup for 1/4 of that and still get accessories to dial it in is a much better pill to swallow.
    Don't get me wrong, I love the stealth look, with the low side bars, I just don't see the need for two horizontal bars on each side.

I think my DW rack was over $3000.

User Info Menu

Holy crap! Yeah, I can see why. That looks incredible.

I think the double horizontal bars would be necessary when holding toms or full-height cymbals that low. Especially if you're a heavy-hitter but I guess to each their own.

That rack is frickin awesome!

User Info Menu

Holy crap! Yeah, I can see why. That looks incredible.

I think the double horizontal bars would be necessary when holding toms or full-height cymbals that low. Especially if you're a heavy-hitter but I guess to each their own.

That rack is frickin awesome!
    Thanks! Here is the kit that is hanging on it, if you haven't seen it yet. The main focus when building the rack was to have the drum shells showing, and not be covered up by rack pipes.

User Info Menu

Well ya did a great job with it.

User Info Menu

Well ya did a great job with it.
    Thanks. Looking forward to what you come up with.

User Info Menu

Thanks! Here is the kit that is hanging on it, if you haven't seen it yet. The main focus when building the rack was to have the drum shells showing, and not be covered up by rack pipes.

Beautiful, every time I see a pic of your kit, I want to build a "Monster" of my own.

I bet it would be a blast to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Beautiful, every time I see a pic of your kit, I want to build a "Monster" of my own.

I bet it would be a blast to play.
    Thanks man! Everyone should have a big kit at home. More toms=more fun!