Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cymbal stands

User Info Menu

Default cymbal stands

Now this is my opinion I think Yamaha makes one of the best cymbal stands I have two from the mid 80' and I think they are similar to the new Yamahas where they can be a straight stand than convert to a boom stand. I just think this is really cool. Now I do not know if some of the other company do this now or not. so that is why I like them.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Default Re: cymbal stands

I have Pearl and Tama and they both have "hideaway" booms. They can extend out from the center shaft and work like a boom or can be completely concealed inside the smallest telescoping part of the stand.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have two Sound Percussion stands that work that way.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

I agree with Bish on the Pearl stands.

User Info Menu

I have stands of all makes and models. I do have of course a big collection of Yamaha and my favorite part is they also come with their own locking clamps for that boom arm so if you take it out for tear down you can put it back the same way every time.

My new PDP stands and my Gibraltars don't have this capability. So I use hose clamps.

User Info Menu

It seems every manufacturer has adopted this system now - I have a Pearl 900 series, a Tama Roadpro and a Ddrums DX series that all do the same thing. The legs on all three can be opened until they are almost flat which makes it really easy to place stands close together.

I don't know which manufacturer was the first, but some innovations are so good that every manufacturer adopts them.

User Info Menu

All my Mapex stands do this. The thing I like about the Mapex stands is that they use polished chrome everywhere for consistency in appearance. Many of the other companies like DW, Yamaha, Tama, and maybe others, have bare aluminum bits, or frosted bits, that stand out negatively to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    All my Mapex stands do this. The thing I like about the Mapex stands is that they use polished chrome everywhere for consistency in appearance. Many of the other companies like DW, Yamaha, Tama, and maybe others, have bare aluminum bits, or frosted bits, that stand out negatively to me.
    All of my hardware is polished chrome everywhere - Tama, Pearl, Sonor, Ddrums, Premier and Gibraltar. Do you mean the footplates of kick Pedals and the bottom section of hi hat stands?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    All of my hardware is polished chrome everywhere - Tama, Pearl, Sonor, Ddrums, Premier and Gibraltar. Do you mean the footplates of kick Pedals and the bottom section of hi hat stands?
    On my DW stuff, it is the pivoting top for the cymbal

On Tama, it is usually memory locks.

On Yamaha it is at each tightening section, and the thumb screws are frosted.

Not sure about the other companies you mentioned.

User Info Menu

Got it - The memory locks on my Tama Hi Hat and Snare Stand, my Pearl Tom Clamps and my Gibraltar Cymbal Boom Clamps are alloy NOT chrome - I have polished them with automotive chrome cleaner and they come up so well I actually forgot they are not chromed - that stuff works really well on alloy! I bought all my hardware used so none of my cymbal stands have memory locks - if they did I suspect the original owners kept them!

User Info Menu

See I have been out of the game for awhile on this. I do think it is a cool option.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

I bought all my Yamaha hardware years ago when I played a Recording Custom kit. The hardware is all Yamaha 600 and 700 series single-braced stuff. I love this hardware because it is relatively light, super sturdy, and very versatile. This hardware has been used thru a number of drumsets since I purchased it.

I have a Mapex stand mixed in here and there as well. Very good hardware.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I was just remarking about my cheap SONOR stands that were coupon freebies with the purchase of a new set a few years ago. They don't have the hideaway boom and are just very basic low-end stands. But the legs are single braced and can be set up traditional or they can be completely old school flat. I've found that the stand nearest my hi-hat really works well set with the legs flat. They don't interfere with the hi-hat, bass drum, or snare stand. I wonder why more stands aren't made with legs like these.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Keck View Post
    I have two Sound Percussion stands that work that way.
    Picked up about 6 of them when they were on sale a few years ago for like $22 bucks a piece @Amazon.

Great stands.
    The cymbal rubber mounts are a bit too large ,but otherwise a pretty good stand,
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I love Yamaha stands. Now that I have a rack, I still use all Yamaha boom arms. They are super stable, never come loose and are easy to operate. Plus not many companies seem to make boom arms that are as short as Yamaha's, though they are easy to cut down.
    Most stands have the hideaway boom arm feature now. I believe either Yamaha or Tama came up with it first, but not 100% sure. I believe both brands make the strongest hardware.

User Info Menu

Most companies make their stands with hideaway booms. I just upgraded to DW 9000 hardware all around, and WOW. These things are heavy, but the ease and amount of customization they had me sold. I'm especially fond of the tilter on the cymbal stands. It's so smooth and easy to use and it can position the cymbal at virtually any angle without any problems.
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Picked up about 6 of them when they were on sale a few years ago for like $22 bucks a piece @Amazon.

Great stands.
    The cymbal rubber mounts are a bit too large ,but otherwise a pretty good stand,
    Me too. I bought some when MF had a "2 for $39" special. I figured they would work fine for my practice kit or just to have around if I need extras. I ended up using them for gigging....2 years and still work great. Meanwhile, the black plastic tilted lever on my new Mapex stand snapped off after only 3 gigs, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

The most recent (three) stands I bought were all Road Pro Tama.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Me too. I bought some when MF had a "2 for $39" special. I figured they would work fine for my practice kit or just to have around if I need extras. I ended up using them for gigging....2 years and still work great. Meanwhile, the black plastic tilted lever on my new Mapex stand snapped off after only 3 gigs, LOL.
    Which Mapex stand was that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I have Pearl and Tama and they both have "hideaway" booms. They can extend out from the center shaft and work like a boom or can be completely concealed inside the smallest telescoping part of the stand.
    I have a newbie confession to make here :-)

I went about two weeks ago to Guitar Center which is about 2 miles from the house and I purchased 2 Tama boom stands. These are the first boom stands I have ever bought.

I got them home and took them out of the box, and of course there were no instructions, and I started to put them together. It looked like to me that they had two straight stands in the boxes labeled boom stands, so I took them back.

I felt like such a fool when he showed me that they hid away and could be used as booms or as straight stands.......what I dummy I felt like!

Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

And this creates problems for holding cymbals in the air?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CB700 View Post
    Now this is my opinion I think Yamaha makes one of the best cymbal stands I have two from the mid 80' and I think they are similar to the new Yamahas where they can be a straight stand than convert to a boom stand. I just think this is really cool. Now I do not know if some of the other company do this now or not. so that is why I like them.
    Hey Conrad, which CB kit do you have?. I posted about a CB snare i had in the sleeper drum set thread and started looking at some old CB catalogs. They were putting out some nice looking stuff for awhile like these from 1982. (note the virgin kicks they were making) i don't know of any other companies doing it at that time.

Last edited by slinky; 03-19-2015 at 06:31 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Which Mapex stand was that?
    Not sure what model it is....it looks just like this one. The black plastic "faucet handle" on the tilter just snapped right off. I thought it was maybe held on with a screw, but it was actually all one moulded piece. Also, the threads on the wing screw that hold the knurled boom arm in place are starting to strip out. I'm always very gentle and try not to over-tighten stuff like that. Who knows. I'm thinking I'll just replace the entire last section (tube, boom arm & tilter) with one from Gibraltar. It's a nice heavy stand otherwise. I bought it to hold my heavy 22" ride, but honestly, it doesn't go as low as I'd like due to the double extension.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 03-19-2015 at 11:45 PM.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Not sure what model it is....it looks just like this one. The black plastic "faucet handle" on the tilter just snapped right off. I thought it was maybe held on with a screw, but it was actually all one moulded piece. Also, the threads on the wing screw that hold the knurled boom arm in place are starting to strip out. I'm always very gentle and try not to over-tighten stuff like that. Who knows. I'm thinking I'll just replace the entire last section (tube, boom arm & tilter) with one from Gibraltar. It's a nice heavy stand otherwise. I bought it to hold my heavy 22" ride, but honestly, it doesn't go as low as I'd like due to the double extension.
    I wondered when you said plastic handle, because the Falcon's all have metal handles. Did you try and get it replaced under warranty.

User Info Menu

Maybe it's a lower level model, or maybe an early model? It was on "open box" clearance, so who knows. It could be several years old or left over stock. Think I only paid like $30 for it. I haven't attempted any repairs yet. It just happened setting up at the last gig. I used a Vise-Grip to tighten it in order to play. I just left the tilter in position when I tore down. Hopefully I'll have time to look at it this weekend.
    -Brian