Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winterization!

User Info Menu

Default Winterization!

Okay, I have no idea if anyone will know ANYTHING that can help me, but it's worth a shot. A buddy of mine bought my old kit off of me, and he recently contacted me about what he could do to keep it in good condition in the winter. The problem is that he doesn't have room in his house to set it up, so he has it set up in his garage, where there is no heat. We live in PA, so the winter's usually get pretty cold (though lately, I've been wondering...). I really didn't know what to tell him about keeping it in good condition other than making sure it's kept dry and doesn't get moisture inside the drum where it could freeze and crack. Any ideas?

Also: The kit is a low-end Cannon kit. I'm not sure what wood it's made of... it kinda looks like that stuff that's a mixture of a bunch of different woods? I can't remember what it's called...

User Info Menu

well i had to move my kit up in my room cuz of the cold, and now my neighbors have said i cant play them cuz there going crazy.. i guess you gotta make sacrifices.. but thats a bummer cuz he just got his kit and hes probly real eager to play it. i really have nothing to suggest... my basment had a bit of insolation and capret on the ground.. so it wasnt that bad, but yea.. mabye some of these guys has some comments

User Info Menu

Ugh, man... that sucks you can't play your kit cause of your neighbors. I'm so glad I live in rural PA where I don't have to worry much about my neighbors.

User Info Menu

Cool Winterization!

Quote Originally Posted by Zajn View Post
    Okay, I have no idea if anyone will know ANYTHING that can help me, but it's worth a shot. A buddy of mine bought my old kit off of me, and he recently contacted me about what he could do to keep it in good condition in the winter. The problem is that he doesn't have room in his house to set it up, so he has it set up in his garage, where there is no heat. We live in PA, so the winter's usually get pretty cold (though lately, I've been wondering...). I really didn't know what to tell him about keeping it in good condition other than making sure it's kept dry and doesn't get moisture inside the drum where it could freeze and crack. Any ideas?

Also: The kit is a low-end Cannon kit. I'm not sure what wood it's made of... it kinda looks like that stuff that's a mixture of a bunch of different woods? I can't remember what it's called...
    Hey, Zajn, welcome aboard!

Sounds to me like you've already made some great suggestions, especially about temperature changes and moisture. I'd also borrow a page from Lafirin and have your buddy put his new kit on some kind of surface (carpet or plywood at least) where it's not in direct contact with the garage floor.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tips Bongobro and Lafirin. I'll relay these to my friend, and hopefully his kit can endure the winter with little or no damage!

User Info Menu

lets hope

User Info Menu

There really isn't a lot he could do without insulating the garage. Take BB and Laf's advice and get it off the bare concrete. Carpet will definetely help. If he can, put it on a riser or something so there is airflow underneath it so the temperature of the floor will not effect the shells at all.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Cool Winterization!

Good call, my fellow hand-slammer!

I thought about it a few minutes and realized my drum store buddy keeps most of his sets on display risers (and for much the same reason; separation to minimize the temperature changes)...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

and.. if you wanna go to the extrem. you could get a wood stove and cut a hole through the wall and make a chimmny and buy a chord of wood... lol but unless you dont have an extra wood stove, its kinda expensive. im just saying this cuz my dad always had an extra wood stove lyin around, probly not the same for youre friends case.. anways just a suggestion.

User Info Menu

Wooden musical instruments do not belong in the garage, and there's no such thing as not having enough room (IMO).

When dealing with heat/moisture issues, the most important thing is consistancy. You don't want radical or rapid changes in the temperature or humidity of the environment.

User Info Menu

when i first got my kit.. i put my 6 foot long bead, out the window =D

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Zajn;50995]
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris View Post
    Wooden musical instruments do not belong in the garage, and there's no such thing as not having enough room (IMO).

Unfortunately, there IS such a thing as not having enough room. Thank you everyone for your input. I really appreciate it!
    I agree, I have no room in my condo for anything. My little HD-1 barely fits......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris View Post
    Unfortunately, there IS such a thing as not having enough room. Thank you everyone for your input. I really appreciate it!

User Info Menu

Tell your friend to throw a heavy blanket or two over the kit also. It's only going to do some good if it's off the floor though. He may not be able to insulate the garage, but you can insulate the kit itself. It will act as a buffer to the heat gradient, and will heat up and cool down slower because of it, thus eliminating condensation. Alternately, this time of year, when days and nights are in such drastic contrast, dew may be a problem, that a blanket or two over the kit would also solve.

On an off note, I don't have my kit on a riser, but would like to build one, does anyone have any suggestions, for how high it should be?
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Thanks Kryshah! That wouldn't even have crossed my mind. Again, thank you everyone for you suggestions!
    http://www.myspace.com/jammasterjones
    http://www.myspace.com/nervousexistence

Current Drum Setup: Sonor Force 2005 all Birch: 22" x 17.5" kick, 14" x 5" snare, 10" x 9" and 12" x 10" toms, 16" x 16" floor tom.
    Current Cymbal Setup: All cymbals are Paiste unless otherwise noted: 14" 2002 Sound Edge Hi-Hats, 18" 2002 Medium Crash, 18" Alpha Power Crash, 20" 302 Ride, 16" 502 China, 10" 502 Splash, and 12" Wuhan China.

User Info Menu

I just bought a kit and I put mine in the laundry room. I have a dehumdifier in there as well. In the winter I still run the dehumidifier and the heat from the blower motor in it keeps the room about 50 degrees. The room is about 14x14. Even when the wife has the washer or dryer running the humidity is low. With a garage he may want to try a small space heater as well. But like the others noted get it off the concrete first and foremost. Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Cool Winterization

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    Tell your friend to throw a heavy blanket or two over the kit also. It's only going to do some good if it's off the floor though. He may not be able to insulate the garage, but you can insulate the kit itself. It will act as a buffer to the heat gradient, and will heat up and cool down slower because of it, thus eliminating condensation. Alternately, this time of year, when days and nights are in such drastic contrast, dew may be a problem, that a blanket or two over the kit would also solve.

On an off note, I don't have my kit on a riser, but would like to build one, does anyone have any suggestions, for how high it should be?
    The risers I've seen at my buddy's drum shop are about four to six inches high...should be able to assemble them out of plywood panels and 2x4s or 2x6s...cover them with some sort of carpeting to keep them from scratching the drums...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Default Re: Winterization!

What everyone else said, especially about the elevation of the drums off the floor.

And if at all possible, it's best to find an area to keep them inside your house.
    Or maybe spread the drums throughout the house, use the floor tom as a coffee table, etc...

-DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    What everyone else said, especially about the elevation of the drums off the floor.

And if at all possible, it's best to find an area to keep them inside your house.
    Or maybe spread the drums throughout the house, use the floor tom as a coffee table, etc...

Don't know if you are aware but this thread has not been active in 5 years till you revived it again. Talk about a newbie. you should look at the dates LOL

User Info Menu

There's nothing wrong with reviving a thread, if you want to add something relevant. Who knows, maybe someone else needs to see it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    There's nothing wrong with reviving a thread, if you want to add something relevant. Who knows, maybe someone else needs to see it.
    I agree 100%....so much to cover so little time!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I agree too.

User Info Menu

Zajn, what i would tell him is..."for a nominal fee he could keep them at your place with right to play" thats my story and i am sticking to it..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Yeah, I don't mind old threads getting revived, especially when you learn something new.

Funny thing is that this 'winterisation' thread is being read here when us Sydneysiders are copping weather in the high 30's plus the dreaded humidity (lucky I'm in air-con comfort!)
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Ok Sorry for living.