Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Punk Drummers?

User Info Menu

Default Favorite Punk Drummers?

Notice I didn't say BEST, TOM!!!!

Not sure there are too many fans of punk rock music on this forum, so this thread might be a dud. I don't listen to as much punk as I did in high school but I still have some favorites.

Byron McMackin from Pennywise.

DH Peligro from Dead Kennedys...who I personally fixed his kick drum pedal for him before a show a few years ago.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Favorite Punk Drummers?

Diehard fan of old school punk from the 70's here ... played in a couple of hard core punk bands back in them days. Loved the Ramones, Sex Pistols, Gang of Four, Dead Kennedys, Pixies, Black Flag, The Clash, etc. Playing I Am the Owl is always a blast ...

Favorite drummer ... hmmm ... hard to choose as I love so many of them. Does Prairie Prince of The Tubes count?

User Info Menu

Keith Moon.

He wasn't in a punk band, but he was the mold.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Brooks Wackerman, drummer for Bad Religion. He's been on the last 5 or 6 albums I think.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I guess my favorite would be Rat Scabies of the damned..This is a funny performance and their like lip synching no guitar chord lol..but Rat's not even with all these exaggerated moves yet he can really bring it!

I also like the guy who used to play drums for Fear..he would have some interesting beats.
    I'll also add "Philthy" Phil Taylor of motorhead they were always semipunk to me.
    Dave Grol..but he's not really punk anymore is he? I mean anybody that would go on play with Tom Petty wouldn't be a true punker now would they?
    Last edited by wired; 03-20-2015 at 07:07 PM. Reason: thought of a few more.

User Info Menu

Erm, I think I would say Topper Headon.
    I discovered him, and the clash last year and think he is a pretty awesome player.
    Rock the casbah is a good example
    Bridie

User Info Menu

That's Topper playing piano on Casbah too.. talented guy.

User Info Menu

Favourites?
    Steve Grantley, the drummer with my favourite band (Stiff Little Fingers), and fronts his own band RTZed. Also played with The Alarm, Alicia Keys, The Clash, and Julian Lennon, and has written books about Slade & The Who.
    Topper Headon for his work with The Clash. The man was brilliant at so many styles, helped by learning from his jazz drummer father. I must also mention Terry Chimes here, as it was his playing on their first album that set the tone for their initial success.
    Mark Brzezicki from Big Country, a much underrated drummer though he was voted 4th in the best ever British drummers by the readers of Rhythm magazine.
    Paul Cook, who along with Steve Jones were the driving force of the Sex Pistols. They provided the pure energy of the songs.

There's probably a few more too!
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    Erm, I think I would say Topper Headon.
    I discovered him, and the clash last year and think he is a pretty awesome player.
    Rock the casbah is a good example
    Bridie
    Topper was certainly at the top of his game back in the glory days of the British punk rock scene ... inimitable for sure ...

To this day I still remember the nervous anticipation when me and some buds drove 45 miles to purchase the newly released London Calling album at the nearest record store, taking turns fondling it on the drive back, removing the cellophane, putting it on the turntable, carefully dropping the needle down on the first track, and spending an entire weekend listening to it over and over again ...

User Info Menu

Is Green Day punk? I like a few of their songs.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I thought of someone..ya'll remember that crazy dude from MC5? that whole band was JACKED UP! and I'll second that on DH Peligro. Love that train beat on "Raw hide" I think East bay Ray of the Dead Kennedys is a vastly underrated guitarist though very original.

The thing with punk drummers is that most of them are not really doing a whole lot of clever beats. It's mostly just typical rock 4/4 stuff..but man ya gotta have some stamina if your going to be in a punk band..again see MC5!

User Info Menu

I second Brooks Wackerman. Also George Rebelo from Hot Water Music does some interesting stuff that you don't typically hear in punk.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Probably the guy from Sonic Boom Six
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    Topper was certainly at the top of his game back in the glory days of the British punk rock scene ... inimitable for sure ...

To this day I still remember the nervous anticipation when me and some buds drove 45 miles to purchase the newly released London Calling album at the nearest record store, taking turns fondling it on the drive back, removing the cellophane, putting it on the turntable, carefully dropping the needle down on the first track, and spending an entire weekend listening to it over and over again ...
    Yeah, he is an awesome musician, I read he had a few problems with heroin and alcohol, and was sacked from The Clash, but he turned himself around.
    Bridie

User Info Menu

Andy Strachen- The Living End
    Brooks Wacherman- Bad Religion
    Whoever that guy was that played with the Dead Kennedy's when I opened for them back in '03-'04.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

I admire Paul Cook's drumming with the Sex Pistols.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    i admire paul cook's drumming with the sex pistols.
    +1

User Info Menu

I like Sean Sellers work with Good Riddance too.

User Info Menu

some might argue the punk lable that Iggy Pop gets but the early stuff sounded cool like the live Raw Power. Scott Asheton played on that one. I really liked his simplistic way around the kit.

Got to see Iggy live here about 10 years ago after Beat em Up came out. Had a different drummer but it was a really good show. The drummer in the video is the one I saw at the concert.

favorite discs are:
    Raw Power
    Instinct
    American Ceasar
    Nuaghty Little Doggie
    Beat Em Up
    Last edited by slinky; 03-22-2015 at 11:07 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

My favourite punk drummer is Topper Headon of the Clash - probably the only Brit punk band from the 70s to early 80s that I still listen to at home, except maybe the Stranglers (not so much for the drumming - I just like the band).

User Info Menu

Several guys mentioning the Clash in this thread. I never got into them. Must be something there for so many to mention him here.

User Info Menu

This guy did a really good lesson on punk beats and how they changed from the 70s thru the 80s, plus he has a crazy kit as well.

User Info Menu

Marky Ramone
    Dave MacGire, Forgotten Rebels,
    Brian Whitehead, Dayglo Abortions

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=wired;637527]This guy did a really good lesson on punk beats and how they changed from the 70s thru the 80s, plus he has a crazy kit as well.
    /QUOTE]

I played that kit(Molecules) at a GC,absolutely horrible sounding.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I always liked Cyrus Bolooki in NFG. Yeah it's pop punk, I know. But I like it. Is Alien Ant Farm punk? Cause Mike Cosgrove is pretty boss as well.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi