Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whiplash

User Info Menu

Default Whiplash

We watched Whiplash last night. Good movie.

I do know that if the man who ran the improvisational jazz band when I was in college had slapped me, I would still be in prison holding on to my soap for dear life.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Whiplash

LOL! Yep I also enjoyed the movie. Why not just borrow Tom's movie 'the sound of music'?
    Last edited by 54bogger; 03-23-2015 at 04:04 PM.

User Info Menu

I can't wait to see it. There was a lot of controversial comments here on DC from some members who were upset with the way the teacher was towards his student.

User Info Menu

I watched it last night, it was good, one part I didn't quite understand though.

SPOILER ALERT STOP READING IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THE MOVIE, DO NOT READ BELOW!

Near the end when they were doing the concert and the teacher had them play the song the drummer didn't have the charts for, I didn't understand why he couldn't just find the groove and keep time. Why was he doing all the weird Tom fill stuff. I've never played that style of music but I could have fudged my way through it. I guess that's Hollywood.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    We watched Whiplash last night. Good movie.

I do know that if the man who ran the improvisational jazz band when I was in college had slapped me, I would still be in prison holding on to my soap for dear life.
    Me too.

User Info Menu

Im sorry a movie about drums, no thanks. Id rather watch a documentary on the different breeds of grass used on golf courses across Russia.

User Info Menu

Gotta wait wait for the Bahamian pirates to cut a disc LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I watched it last night, it was good, one part I didn't quite understand though.

SPOILER ALERT STOP READING IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THE MOVIE, DO NOT READ BELOW!

Near the end when they were doing the concert and the teacher had them play the song the drummer didn't have the charts for, I didn't understand why he couldn't just find the groove and keep time. Why was he doing all the weird Tom fill stuff. I've never played that style of music but I could have fudged my way through it. I guess that's Hollywood.

It was more or less a big F%^& YOU to the conductor. He just kept playing for the chart that he had.

Overall I was super impressed with the movie and I loved it. I am going to watch it again so I can write down all the funny insults and one liners cause they made me laugh pretty hard. Never had a teacher that hardcore but there was some super close ones and I did have to pull an all nighter one time cause our teacher was pretty mad with our performance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Im sorry a movie about drums, no thanks. Id rather watch a documentary on the different breeds of grass used on golf courses across Russia.
    You don't need to do that, you can just borrow 'the sound of music' from tom if he's willing to let it go. lol

User Info Menu

Although the two main characters in the movie are a student (who is a drummer) and his tutor (band conductor etc) the movie isn't really about drumming - quite honestly I would recommend it and believe it would be just as enjoyable for any non drummer/non music oriented person to watch. I can't give details without ruining the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it but if you feel like renting a movie or watching Netflix one evening you could do a lot worse.

User Info Menu

Whiplash is the best movie to come out in a few years IMO - not just because i'm a drummer, because I'm a film aficionado. It truly is a fantastic movie, should have won best film compared to that bore-fest, Birdman.

User Info Menu

I don't get this comment. Why would you automatically dislike a movie about a subject you are interested in?

Also, to be specific, I don't believe it's a movie about drumming. It's a movie about people, relationships, power, manipulation, conflict and resolve, like most movies are in one way or another. Drumming is just the vehicle that is used to tie the story together.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    I don't get this comment. Why would you automatically dislike a movie about a subject you are interested in?

Also, to be specific, I don't believe it's a movie about drumming. It's a movie about people, relationships, power, manipulation, conflict and resolve, like most movies are in one way or another. Drumming is just the vehicle that is used to tie the story together.
    Its my personal tastes you dont have to get it or agree

User Info Menu

Not that I need to speak for NR............but I understand where he is coming from.

As most of you know, I've been a shooter for a long time, and I don't really care to watch "Sniper" type movies...........not 100% sure why.

One reason, is things are never "right". My wife hates it when I make a comment about something unrealistic or hollywood.....................but I explained to her.............she is a mathematician........if we were watching a movie about calculus and trigonmetry, and they were doing it completely wrong.............wouldn't you dislike it? She reluctantly agreed.

User Info Menu

I thought it was a pretty good movie. The epitome of the tough love jazz band conductor. Did your fingers ever bleed like that playing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cdeleone View Post
    whiplash is the best movie to come out in a few years imo - not just because i'm a drummer, because i'm a film aficionado. It truly is a fantastic movie, should have won best film compared to that bore-fest, birdman.
    +1

User Info Menu

Im the same with golf. Love playing it, but Id rather be waterboarded than watch it on tv.

User Info Menu

Im the same with golf. Love playing it, but Id rather be waterboarded than watch it on tv.
    Buddy, golf is a lot less exiting than Whiplash! Getting a wart removed is more exciting than watching golf!
    Last edited by Sticks4drums; 03-23-2015 at 04:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Whatever, man. [deleted - Tom]

User Info Menu

I took care of the problem. Now let's get this thread back on track.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Not that I need to speak for NR............but I understand where he is coming from.

As most of you know, I've been a shooter for a long time, and I don't really care to watch "Sniper" type movies...........not 100% sure why.

One reason, is things are never "right". My wife hates it when I make a comment about something unrealistic or hollywood.....................but I explained to her.............she is a mathematician........if we were watching a movie about calculus and trigonmetry, and they were doing it completely wrong.............wouldn't you dislike it? She reluctantly agreed.
    Exactly, I drive a truck for a living, there is no way Im gonna go home and watch Ice Road Truckers after driving one for 10hrs.

User Info Menu

I watched it last night & thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't think it was particularly about drumming per-se, that was simply the vehicle they used to tell the story of a student's dedication to succeed. It's been done in the same way using various sports, so the fact they used a drummer was the novelty factor.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Well my bro says to watch it, so i'll watch it soon....but im scared!

User Info Menu

i watched it, it was ok i thought, didn't really make me want to go and play my drums though, it's not my style of drumming so it didn't really interest me too much.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I just loved all the insults and one liners.