Thread: Old ludwig speed king pedals

User Info Menu

Default Old ludwig speed king pedals

Or maybe I should say "Squeak king" pedal..but anyways my uncle has one that he had for years and it just so broken in and it feels like a dream sort of. not too tight nor too loose but more loose than anything. But his pedal just feels so right that I bought one off ebay a while back and mine doesn't quite feel as good as his did. it tends to swing back to far and hit me in the shin.

My question is will over time will this thing start feeling better or should I just move on? They seem to have these internal springs so really no way to adjust it I don't think. but I like it for the most part. I know old ludwig gear kind of sucks compared to the new stuff that's out there. I guess I just dig their old stuff just from a nostalgic point of view..Hey it was good enough for Bonham ya know. But then again were he alive today he'd probably be playing Iron Cobras...
    Last edited by wired; 03-23-2015 at 02:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Old ludwig speed king pedals

The spring adjustment screws are on the bottom of the pedal.

User Info Menu

The adjustment is underneath the pedal, you should see a flat blade screw on both sides , thats were the adjustment takes place.

User Info Menu

The Harley-Davidson of bass drum pedals right there!

With some lubrication...they don't need to squeak.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Ah, the Squeak King - my favorite bass drum pedal! I've got two of them. One is from the old Chicago factory days and I bought the other one fairly recently - just as they were being discontinued. Been lucky with both - no squeaks!

I have tried quite a few other pedals but nothing feels as good to me as the Speed King. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that the Speed King was the first good quality pedal I ever used. Funny how that goes, though - I have some drumming buddies who think it's the worst thing they have ever tried

Hopefully the pedal you got can be adjusted to your liking. Good Luck!

User Info Menu

Search "Speed Kings " in this topic for threads with more info about SK pedals. It's too good a pedal concept to quit it.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Cool thanks for the adjustment tips..that's funny yeah it looks like it would be right at home bolted to an old Harley lol..
    I have it and a ludwig hi hat stand and a cool old ludwig snare and even though I just got the cx kit recently I still have my heart set on an old ludwig vintage set and I don't care if I have to do it one piece at a time. I'm gonna get me a ludwig gold sparkle kit going here before too long!

User Info Menu

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

If you search the forum, I have a thread with pics showing my rebuild of an old SK. You can see how it's made and how I added bushings and special "tweaks". It now plays & feels wonderful.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Yeah I was just looking at the rebuild you did..how did you ever get those bearing caps off?
    Ricardo...that's hysterical..that gives me ideals for a ratrod!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    Cool thanks for the adjustment tips..that's funny yeah it looks like it would be right at home bolted to an old Harley lol..
    I have it and a ludwig hi hat stand and a cool old ludwig snare and even though I just got the cx kit recently I still have my heart set on an old ludwig vintage set and I don't care if I have to do it one piece at a time. I'm gonna get me a ludwig gold sparkle kit going here before too long!
    Atta boy!!

It's worth it

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    Yeah I was just looking at the rebuild you did..how did you ever get those bearing caps off?
    Ricardo...that's hysterical..that gives me ideals for a ratrod!
    A tip I found surfing the Internet sites. You won't believe how EASY it is to get them off....

All I did was take a MAP gas torch (small hand held one like you use for soldering plumbing) and just BARELY heat up the end of the spring tower. All it takes is a few seconds of heat. Then, turn the tower upside down and the cap will literally fall right out. The aluminum tower casting expands instantly, whereas the steel cap doesn't. It won't hurt anything either...not even the paint.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Love it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    If you search the forum, I have a thread with pics showing my rebuild of an old SK. You can see how it's made and how I added bushings and special "tweaks". It now plays & feels wonderful.
    I'm going to have to go back and have a look at your thread. I just bought a SK not too long ago. It was the first pedal I ever used long ago(the first one I had when I began drumming but sold it along with my kit). Now that I have another, I'd love to see how to take the "squeak" out of it.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

my dad's drummer has a speed king and someday it is so loud... but then he'll clean it up and good as new. It is a smooth pedal. It was way ahead of it's time for sure.