Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping it simple!

User Info Menu

Default Keeping it simple!

I know many of us love adding more "stuff" to our setups but I just picked this used Westbury kit and kept a simple setup. I have to tell you how much I love enjoying playing with a simple setup. Really helps me focus on what I'm playing.

i) Has anyone really simplified their setup and really enjoyed their playing?

ii) Can anyone identify the cymbal you see? It's 18" and has a crash-ride feel but I'm not sure, there's no label. The hi-hats are 13" B8 hats.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Keeping it simple!

I went from a 1 up 2 down with 2 splashes 2 crashed 1 ride and hats to 1 up 1 down 1 crash, 1 ride, hi hats. As for the crash/ride, I have no clue. Possibly an sbr crash/ride from the yellow tint.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I have a 15" AA rock crash that has a hammering pattern and lathing that is very similar to your 18 although the hammer indentations on mine aren't as deep - the bell on my 15" is lathed, but the lines are very faint, so faint it appears completely smooth at first glance. The logos on the playing surface of mine are long gone so I can't make any comparison from the logos. I think it may be an old AA crash but I couldn't swear to it.

User Info Menu

If that is a simple set up, then I've had a simple set up my entire "drumming life". two up, one down, hats, two crashes, one splash and one ride.

Looks like a great set up to me, Five Magics!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I went from a 1 up 2 down with 2 splashes 2 crashed 1 ride and hats to 1 up 1 down 1 crash, 1 ride, hi hats. As for the crash/ride, I have no clue. Possibly an sbr crash/ride from the yellow tint.
    Yup, 1 cymbal of each would keep it simple..love the 1 up 1 down. Don't think it's a sbr, the cymbal feels like an older AA. But I can see what you mean by the picture of yellow tint.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I have a 15" AA rock crash that has a hammering pattern and lathing that is very similar to your 18 although the hammer indentations on mine aren't as deep - the bell on my 15" is lathed, but the lines are very faint, so faint it appears completely smooth at first glance. The logos on the playing surface of mine are long gone so I can't make any comparison from the logos. I think it may be an old AA crash but I couldn't swear to it.
    15" AA rock crash..nicely done..love to hear that!

Yeah I'm guessing it's an old AA too. Plays well as a ride and holds up to crashing. Oh well sounds good that's all that matters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    If that is a simple set up, then I've had a simple set up my entire "drumming life". two up, one down, hats, two crashes, one splash and one ride.

Looks like a great set up to me, Five Magics!
    Hey once you go beyond one crash and get into the effect cymbals your kit has passed by the basics lol. But I guess if someone has hats, snare and a bass only that would redefine simplicity.

I'm usually a 1 up 2 down player but the 2 up 1 down has it's own advantages. I tend to think that all the drums are nicely close to each other that way.

User Info Menu

My favorite minimal setup......

User Info Menu

I have always preferred the 4pc set, 1 up, 1 down. That has always felt the best, for some reason. Whenever I play a 5pc kit, I always feel a bit 'off-kilter'.

User Info Menu

I'd keep that kit simple also just because it's not really a kit I'd see myself spending money on to build up. I have a cheap Orbitone drumset to teach on and I keep it very simple also standard 5 piece. My Sonor is from 1983 and I also keep that very simple 5 piece. They just aren't worth me spending money on also. I keep nice heads on them but no add on drums or crazy amounts of cymbals.

But my nicer Yamaha Maple Custom had the option of multiple tom sizes and so I went with them and then added racks and lots of cymbals and etc. And my PDP kit also started as a 7 piece and it's a nicer mid range kit so I keep it all nicer upgraded DW parts and etc.

A lot of it also is style of music. My 19 piece Yamaha I was in a progressive metal band heavily influenced by bands like Dream Theater and we all know Mike Portnoy and now Mike Mangini have MONSTER kits and so I wanted that! With my Sonor I grew up playing Polkas/waltz and early rock. It needs not to be fancy and I prefer to play on my smaller kit for gigs like that. I feel the style of music makes a huge difference. You're not going to go play a big metal concert with just a bass drum and snare drum. Most metal drummers want big double kicks and as many toms as we can lol. Most Jazz/swing/big band etc all keep it simple and clean.

But I also feel like I can play more "out of the box" with a simple setup then I do with my big setups. Sometimes simpler is better for sure.
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 03-24-2015 at 08:29 AM.

User Info Menu

When I am feeling crazy, and wild, I will simplify things and go down to one bass drum instead of two!

User Info Menu

Wow...haven't seen Westbury's in quite a while. A derivative of Pearl? Nice

I like to have 1 of every thing... bass, snare, little tom, floor tom, crash, ride, hats, I'm completely at home with it. Sometimes I'll add another crash. I'm thinking of down sizing again...dropping the crash and the floor. (for certain gigs of course)

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
    My favorite minimal setup......
    Nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludleg View Post
    I have always preferred the 4pc set, 1 up, 1 down. That has always felt the best, for some reason. Whenever I play a 5pc kit, I always feel a bit 'off-kilter'.
    Yes, the ride feels at times a little to far over to the right because of the second rack tom. The 1 up 1 down is deadly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I'd keep that kit simple also just because it's not really a kit I'd see myself spending money on to build up. I have a cheap Orbitone drumset to teach on and I keep it very simple also standard 5 piece. My Sonor is from 1983 and I also keep that very simple 5 piece. They just aren't worth me spending money on also. I keep nice heads on them but no add on drums or crazy amounts of cymbals.

But my nicer Yamaha Maple Custom had the option of multiple tom sizes and so I went with them and then added racks and lots of cymbals and etc. And my PDP kit also started as a 7 piece and it's a nicer mid range kit so I keep it all nicer upgraded DW parts and etc.

A lot of it also is style of music. My 19 piece Yamaha I was in a progressive metal band heavily influenced by bands like Dream Theater and we all know Mike Portnoy and now Mike Mangini have MONSTER kits and so I wanted that! With my Sonor I grew up playing Polkas/waltz and early rock. It needs not to be fancy and I prefer to play on my smaller kit for gigs like that. I feel the style of music makes a huge difference. You're not going to go play a big metal concert with just a bass drum and snare drum. Most metal drummers want big double kicks and as many toms as we can lol. Most Jazz/swing/big band etc all keep it simple and clean.

But I also feel like I can play more "out of the box" with a simple setup then I do with my big setups. Sometimes simpler is better for sure.
    IMO, it all comes down to feel. At times I love stepping into a larger kit with plenty of the bells and whistles. But on the other hand (or drum kit!), love playing on a simple kit without all the distractions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks4drums View Post
    When I am feeling crazy, and wild, I will simplify things and go down to one bass drum instead of two!
    Love it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Wow...haven't seen Westbury's in quite a while. A derivative of Pearl? Nice

I like to have 1 of every thing... bass, snare, little tom, floor tom, crash, ride, hats, I'm completely at home with it. Sometimes I'll add another crash. I'm thinking of down sizing again...dropping the crash and the floor. (for certain gigs of course)

all the best...
    Westbury? Here's my "actual" kit that I use and it's 17 years going strong and of course it's a Westbury! I've really tried to maintain it well. You wouldn't even know it if you'd play on it.

User Info Menu

I like the 1up/1dwn setup because it keeps me from overthinking. If I had a 7pc or 10pc kit, I would feel obligated to hit them all....and would try. That would be a train wreck. I don't feel as much pressure with a 4pc, which keeps me more relaxed and within the confines of my abilities.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I like the 1up/1dwn setup because it keeps me from overthinking. If I had a 7pc or 10pc kit, I would feel obligated to hit them all....and would try. That would be a train wreck. I don't feel as much pressure with a 4pc, which keeps me more relaxed and within the confines of my abilities.
    Love your response. The simple setup won't "force" you to use everything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Five Magics View Post
    Westbury? Here's my "actual" kit that I use and it's 17 years going strong and of course it's a Westbury! I've really tried to maintain it well. You wouldn't even know it if you'd play on it.

That is one great looking kit! It does look brand new.

User Info Menu

Nice setup Five Magics. Looks simple yet plenty of bells and whistles all compacted into it.

User Info Menu

That is one great looking kit! It does look brand new.
    Thanks ludleg. I really believe you can make any kit sound good as long as you take care of them. Put good drum heads on both batter and reso, use good hardware, and cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Nice setup Five Magics. Looks simple yet plenty of bells and whistles all compacted into it.
    Thx Spaz. Best thing about our instrument is the customization.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Five Magics View Post
    Thanks ludleg. I really believe you can make any kit sound good as long as you take care of them. Put good drum heads on both batter and reso, use good hardware, and cymbals.
    I couldn't agree more. Used to be time when there were basically two camps of drums: 1) cheap, often poor /mediocre sounding ones we could afford and, 2) the expensive, great sounding kits we couldn't afford. What seems to have changed over the years is the emergence of a true intermediate level of drums that are of very high quality, but substantially less money compared to the high-end kits. These kits, as you have said, with aninvestment of quality heads, top & bottom, and with the proper investment in time to tune them to their maximum potential, often sound every bit as good as the high end kits, IMHO.

User Info Menu

I couldn't agree more. Used to be time when there were basically two camps of drums: 1) cheap, often poor /mediocre sounding ones we could afford and, 2) the expensive, great sounding kits we couldn't afford. What seems to have changed over the years is the emergence of a true intermediate level of drums that are of very high quality, but substantially less money compared to the high-end kits. These kits, as you have said, with aninvestment of quality heads, top & bottom, and with the proper investment in time to tune them to their maximum potential, often sound every bit as good as the high end kits, IMHO.
    That's right. Back in 68 or so. I honed my chops on an el crappo MIJ set then delivered papers and cut lawns with the dream of one day owning a set of Ludwigs!

all the best...