Thread: Axis double-kick connecting rods

User Info Menu

Default Axis double-kick connecting rods

I've heard that Axis makes a universal connecting rod for double-kick pedals. Lately I've been contemplating purchasing one these because I've noticed a significant difference between the slave and master pedals on my Iron Cobra. I know that most double-pedals have this problem to some extent, with the exception of pedals made by Axis and Trick. I personally have never tried either of those, but from what I've heard they are nearly perfect on both pedals.

I've messed with just about every adjustment on my Cobras, but still cannot seem to get an equal response on both pedals. The answer could definitley lie in my ankles not being equal in strength and stamina (I'd like to think that's NOT the problem ). My double kick chops seem to come and go... I can play bursts of 16ths at about 190bpms, but anything longer than 8 16th notes and my left pedal seems to die. I've been doing all kinds of balance exercises and double-kick workouts to get my left foot up to par, but I still notice trouble with the slave pedal.

Now after this long-winded thread, back to the point! Has anyone used and/or heard about these universal connecting rods? I'd really appreciate any feedback about them and/or remedies for my double-kick plight.

Zach

User Info Menu

i havent heard of them but i would say if your pedal is that bad then just save for an axis or trick and then scrap the iorn cobra when you get it.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Yeah, but the pricetag on either of those brands is outrageous. I think the Trick pedal is running upwards of $800, and Axis is somewhere in the $500-600 range. I unfortunately don't have that kind of money to spend on a pedal, and I also don't want to believe that tempos > 200bpm are only achievable on those kind of double-pedals. When I say tempos > 200bpm, I'm talking about measures of sixteenth notes at those tempos. My ideal situation would be to get enough money to purchase another kick drum, sell my double-pedal, and buy two singles. Thanks for your input though.

User Info Menu

hey thats what i want to do. but ya 200 bpm is easyly achivable on a well working pedal, i have an old gibralter that barely works and can get it up to 180. but i can get a smoth dw 9000 up two 340.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

And I can get my strange, unidentified Chinese make to about a million before it splutters, dies, and the head flies off and bruises my leg.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Haha...?

And I hope you meant 240bpm drummerdavie... cause 16ths at 340 bpm would be ridiculous!

Seriously though, does anyone know anything about Axis' Universal Drive Shaft??

User Info Menu

woops fat fingerd the button

User Info Menu

lols. Well i would recommand a decent double kick... plane one like pearl eliminators tama's or dw's.... There is only one professional band i know about who plays a trigger..... and i dont think there really nessisary.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    lols. Well i would recommand a decent double kick... plane one like pearl eliminators tama's or dw's.... There is only one professional band i know about who plays a trigger..... and i dont think there really nessisary.
    I know quite a few drummers that trigger their kicks. All of them are in death metal bands.

I do play a decent double pedal... it's an Iron Cobra. I HAVE owned it for quite some time though. I'm wondering if it's due for a spring and link shaft replacement? Anyone have any knowledge on how often springs should be replaced?
    http://www.myspace.com/jammasterjones
    http://www.myspace.com/nervousexistence

Current Drum Setup: Sonor Force 2005 all Birch: 22" x 17.5" kick, 14" x 5" snare, 10" x 9" and 12" x 10" toms, 16" x 16" floor tom.
    Current Cymbal Setup: All cymbals are Paiste unless otherwise noted: 14" 2002 Sound Edge Hi-Hats, 18" 2002 Medium Crash, 18" Alpha Power Crash, 20" 302 Ride, 16" 502 China, 10" 502 Splash, and 12" Wuhan China.

User Info Menu

Hey Zajn, before you start replacing parts, when is the last time you lubed you pedal? I could be that this is all that it needs. If it's been some time, I would start there, simply because it's normal maintainence, and then if the problem still exists you might move on to check the springs, and link shaft.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Hey Zajn, before you start replacing parts, when is the last time you lubed you pedal? I could be that this is all that it needs. If it's been some time, I would start there, simply because it's normal maintainence, and then if the problem still exists you might move on to check the springs, and link shaft.
    I regularly lube the springs and clean the chains and link shaft of dirt. Haha, maybe I just need a new set of ankles, eh?
    http://www.myspace.com/jammasterjones
    http://www.myspace.com/nervousexistence

Current Drum Setup: Sonor Force 2005 all Birch: 22" x 17.5" kick, 14" x 5" snare, 10" x 9" and 12" x 10" toms, 16" x 16" floor tom.
    Current Cymbal Setup: All cymbals are Paiste unless otherwise noted: 14" 2002 Sound Edge Hi-Hats, 18" 2002 Medium Crash, 18" Alpha Power Crash, 20" 302 Ride, 16" 502 China, 10" 502 Splash, and 12" Wuhan China.

User Info Menu

LOL If that's true, we might all be in trouble!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Axis Double Pedal

Quote Originally Posted by Zajn View Post
    I regularly lube the springs and clean the chains and link shaft of dirt. Haha, maybe I just need a new set of ankles, eh?
    Is there any way you can try an Axis double pedal just to make the comparison. That way you'd be able assess the situation more clearly.

You don't what to be replacing your ankles unnecessarily - that's a complicated process.

Just a thought.