Thread: I sound like who?

User Info Menu

Default I sound like who?

Buddy Rich in an interview made comments about all drummers sounding so much the same, he couldn't tell who was playing anymore.

There are some folks that after a few bars ,you know who it is (Bruford,Gadd ,Peart).

I just happened to be watching a YouTube the other day of Danny Seraphine and one of my signature high hat licks was there ,front and center.

I listened to Chicago a whole lot when I was growing up and never consciously stole any of his licks,but there it was in full HD stereo.

I have consciously stolen from Tony Williams and Steve Gadd ,but Seraphine?

Ever had any of those Zen moments?
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Default Re: I sound like who?

I went through a phase where I liked a drummer so much, I was getting told that I sounded exactly like him. The good news? This was an incredible drummer! The bad news speaks to your comment above. I didn't have my own voice. Since then, I stopped listening to him as much and now focus on more players as well as work out more of my own, unique beats and fills. I don't think I have my own signature sound yet but I'll be continuing to work on that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I went through a phase where I liked a drummer so much, I was getting told that I sounded exactly like him. The good news? This was an incredible drummer! The bad news speaks to your comment above. I didn't have my own voice. Since then, I stopped listening to him as much and now focus on more players as well as work out more of my own, unique beats and fills. I don't think I have my own signature sound yet but I'll be continuing to work on that.
    Happens to the best of us,I remember seeing Colaiuta doing Tony's reverse flam thing thinking where have I heard that before?
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Happens to the best of us,I remember seeing Colaiuta doing Tony's reverse flam thing thinking where have I heard that before?
    Absolutely!

User Info Menu

My sound is very unique- nobody messes up the way I do!

User Info Menu

we are all products of all the drummers before us .....its a big family tree .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Buddy Rich in an interview made comments about all drummers sounding so much the same, he couldn't tell who was playing anymore.

There are some folks that after a few bars ,you know who it is (Bruford,Gadd ,Peart).

I just happened to be watching a YouTube the other day of Danny Seraphine and one of my signature high hat licks was there ,front and center.

I listened to Chicago a whole lot when I was growing up and never consciously stole any of his licks,but there it was in full HD stereo.

I have consciously stolen from Tony Williams and Steve Gadd ,but Seraphine?

Danny Seraphine was 1 of the drummers Buddy liked.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Danny Seraphine was 1 of the drummers Buddy liked.
    Wow, really? I didn't know that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Wow, really? I didn't know that.

We were talking 1 day at his club and he said that he liked that "kid" from Chicago.

The topic of drummers rarely came up, if we talked, it was about being in the service (he was in the Marines during WW II), or cars because we both loved fast cars. He even came to look at my AMX.

I should add that this was in the mid-'70's.

User Info Menu

For me it was Gene Krupa. Guess that 1 lesson did it. From him
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

Seraphine was one of the few drummers of that time that played to a big brass section too. Wonder if that influenced Buddy's choice.

I've had members of the dif.bands I'm in say that I must like G.Baker and/or M.Mitchell(I can't think of two more different drumming styles). I can't play like them-I just have a feel for their approach to music which shows up mostly in tom-heavy fills or fills that "swing."
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Seraphine was one of the few drummers of that time that played to a big brass section too. Wonder if that influenced Buddy's choice.

I've had members of the dif.bands I'm in say that I must like G.Baker and/or M.Mitchell(I can't think of two more different drumming styles). I can't play like them-I just have a feel for their approach to music which shows up mostly in tom-heavy fills or fills that "swing."
    Cool
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

No religious discussion! Get him Tom! Get him!!!!

In all seriousness, I don't think that I've ever been good enough to sound like anyone else. At least no one has said, "Hey, you sound like that guy from Expert Village!"

User Info Menu

Lots of people say that I sound exactly like Neil Peart. "Who?" says I. "Neil Peart, that guy that plays drums in Dream Theater," they say. I turn red with embarrassment. "I don't know that guy. I'll have to look him up. Wish I could play like Mike Mangini, that guy that plays for Rush."

It's a drag being recognized everywhere I go.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Bonham. Nobody ever tells me that, but I hear his influence in my playing a lot. It's not a conscious attempt, don't get me wrong, but on some subconscious level I am definitely doing it like he did. I hero worshipped though when I was starting to get my chops. I got heavily influenced by one guy at a time. Steven Adler, Sean Kinney, JB, etc. Always guys that played their fills in the pocket. Not the sort of progressive school/do fills with the guitar riff thing.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Wish I could play like Mike Mangini.

Yep...............then we could really wonder why bands have two drummers !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

well, im nowhere as good, but when it comes to fills, my natural tendency is something inspired by (or probably better said, "a crappy imitation of") mitch mitchell. probably because i listen to hendrix A LOT. I need to get out of this, because my band has some more 'straight rock' needs and all I want to do is play Jimi and gogo!

I did have a zen moment of enlightenment a while back, wish i could get one of those to suddenly make me better...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    We were talking 1 day at his club and he said that he liked that "kid" from Chicago.

The topic of drummers rarely came up, if we talked, it was about being in the service (he was in the Marines during WW II), or cars because we both loved fast cars. He even came to look at my AMX.

I should add that this was in the mid-'70's.
    My Dad bought a 1970 Javelin brand new, I think they were $5 grand back then. 360 hi perf motor, vacuum powered scoop, I was 7 and that car left a life long impression.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    My Dad bought a 1970 Javelin brand new, I think they were $5 grand back then. 360 hi perf motor, vacuum powered scoop, I was 7 and that car left a life long impression.
    Yep..........for a (very few) years, AMC made some cool cars.
    Then, just as quickly, they were gone.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Bummer. I don't really sound like anybody, at least that I know of. This is likely a result of never really having set drum heroes but being more of a fan of songs in a general sense.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Yep..........for a (very few) years, AMC made some cool cars.
    Then, just as quickly, they were gone.

I had a '74 with the go package, 401ci, 4 speed and 3.55's.

The motor was rebuilt by Manhattan Speed Shop. New cam, intake, it was ported and polished, valves opened up, port matched and a few other things. Best run at Englishtown was 12.4 at 109, and I was short shifting.

This isn't mine but I wish it was. I miss that car more than any car I've owned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    we are all products of all the drummers before us .....its a big family tree .
    Exactly. Whoever you played along with and listened to and learned their songs, that's who you sound like, hopefully under the sound that becomes yours!
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!