Default Re: Tama Mirage is BACK!

wonder if clear kick reso's are more pricey
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

They look awesome! Love even watching someone else play because you can really see the pedal work!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Can't say I'm a fan of acrylics-they all look nice with a white background, but add in the things a clear acrylic set allows you to see during a gig, like the drummer(sometimes weird legs, shoes and beat-up jeans or cut-offs), the requisite mics, cables, monitors and all the messy "junk" you find on stage behind the drums and the clear look just suffers...a lot. At least a standard kit hides most of that.
    So call me grouchy...
    Or what happened to me at a show once. I ripped my jeans right in the crotch as I was stepping up to my drums at the start of our set. I'm sure everyone was glad that I wasn't playing acrylic drums that night.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    They sure look good Mark. Don't ever say never. You may get them some day down the road. I finally got my acrylic kit but I waited some 35 years. One day you'll get up and say I'm getting those Tama Mirages. As long as the pocket says OK.
    Maybe you're right, brother. We'll see I guess.

User Info Menu

To me, they're strictly performance drums. Really nice on a stage with lots of lighting etc, but for just a working man's (like me) drum set...meh! Seem like you could mess them up rather quickly. Just think how quickly the plastic headlights on a new car lose their luster.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 03-26-2015 at 09:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    To me, they're strictly performance drums. Really nice on a stage with lots of lighting etc, but for just a working man's (like me) drum set...meh! Seem like you could mess them up rather quickly. Just think how quickly the plastic headlights on a new car lose their luster.

all the best...
    Just like with headlights, maintenance is key. Gotta keep em shined up!

2011 headlights and brutal PA winters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    i'd like to have some but like you and Marko said, to keep them clear is a lot of maintenance. Seems like they tend to get foggy over time if not given extra care. Gotta really be careful with what they're cleaned with. Need specialty cleaners and rags that won't scratch.
    Last edited by slinky; 03-26-2015 at 09:35 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I own three Acrylic Snare drums... someday I want a full set. Just to have. But couldn't see myself gigging to much with them I'd be worried about them to much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    wonder if clear kick reso's are more pricey

I've never used a clear reso...........but I think they are around the same price

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I own three Acrylic Snare drums... someday I want a full set.
    Me too..........I've had acrylic G.A.S. for a long time

User Info Menu

I had a double bass Ludwig Vistalite kit from the late 70's. They had a different sound but they don't travel well, especially in the cold. I was living in western New York and the Vistas hated the cold. They would crack if bumped into something when they were cold.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    Idk. 1100 bucks for a kit designed and built well enough to last you the rest of your life, seems pretty good to me..
    True, but what's the markup over a regular Silverstar kit?
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    True, but what's the markup over a regular Silverstar kit?
    If I understand your question, a set of birch Silverstars in that configeration is about $700 USD.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    if I was able to get some they would need to have a color. These look great. Isn't that called "coke/bottle green"?
    Wonder if I could get a set in "beer bottle brown"? Maybe even with big Budweiser labels on the side of each shell?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Wonder if I could get a set in "beer bottle brown"? Maybe even with big Budweiser labels on the side of each shell?
    sounds delicious

User Info Menu

I once had an idea of designing a drum set to look like soda cans. Coke, Sprite etc...Just an idea

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludleg View Post
    I'd be really interested to know how much difference in sound there is between different manufacturer's acrylic drums. Are there different formulas for the acrylic? $1,099 is certainly one of the lowest prices I have seen for an acrylic kit.
    CRUSH.....1 up(10) and 1 down(14) 16 x 20 kick = $749 free shipping Rupps drum shop.....ruby red or clear.....check this out....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVwGJUlh7x4
    Last edited by Old Guy; 05-10-2015 at 02:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Answer is yes.....http://www.percussionkus-toms.com/colors.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I'd bet very little or none. As has been discussed on this board previously, there are only a few manufactures of acrylic shells. So I'd bet the same company or a couple of companies are making all the shells. From there it's just each drum makers hardware and badges.
    RCI makes Ludwig usa and these people make most of the rest Tama ,Crush, Pearl etc,etc.....http://www.percussionkus-toms.com/colors.html there is also Aqua-bomb in the UK. Don't forget china....you can buy shells from them too....really cheap BUT you must drill and cut bearing edges..... standard edge on all makes is 45 degrees
    Last edited by Old Guy; 05-10-2015 at 02:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludleg View Post
    Speaking of acrylic kits, C&C has their version as well:

Love those and love Cs, but they're not cheap!