Thread: Kit set-up change= physical agony?

User Info Menu

Default Kit set-up change= physical agony?

Maybe this only happens when a drummer hits a certain age:
    I decided to experiment, change my tom set-up to be, in my case, off the kick for that Virgin look(off-set to the left.) Oops! The HHs have to be placed even more to the left, cymbals too. And after drumming for an hour I find my rt. leg is rubbing and jostling the snare up and down and to the left, my rt. foot is only partially on the pedal as I face more to the left and now there is pain in my rt. hip as my rt. leg tries to be straight as I twist and my left leg is experiencing sciatic nerve pain as I try to find a new point of balance on the throne.

Anybody else find the off-set toms cause them agony?Is this primarily an age thing?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Default Re: Kit set-up change= physical agony?

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Maybe this only happens when a drummer hits a certain age:
    I decided to experiment, change my tom set-up to be, in my case, off the kick for that Virgin look(off-set to the left.) Oops! The HHs have to be placed even more to the left, cymbals too. And after drumming for an hour I find my rt. leg is rubbing and jostling the snare up and down and to the left, my rt. foot is only partially on the pedal as I face more to the left and now there is pain in my rt. hip as my rt. leg tries to be straight as I twist and my left leg is experiencing sciatic nerve pain as I try to find a new point of balance on the throne.

Anybody else find the off-set toms cause them agony?Is this primarily an age thing?
    I tried stand mounting both toms off the kick out of curiosity and kept missing the hat because of having to move it further out (or just barely striking the edge). I'm a lefty so I have my set up 'backwards' - also my right ankle isn't in the best of shape and this placement of the toms (further to the right for me) caused me not to have my foot squarely on the pedals at times which gave me problems. Instead I mounted my 13" tom to the kick (so the drum was central on the kick) and mounted my 12" tom to the stand of my 'go to' crash. This gave the perfect position for me - the 12" tom was directly behind my snare, instead of at the 10 o' clock position and the 13" right next to it with hardly any gap between them.

The problem this caused was as my 13" tom is 11" deep, when mounted centrally over my 22" kick it was rather high and I hit the hoop too often. I tried my 10 and 12 toms from my 'frankenkit' which are a few inches shallower than my 12 and 13s and the positioning was perfect - no height problems and I had no need to reposition my hi hat further out so everything else remained in the same position and my feet remained squarely on the pedals and I didn't experience any joint pain in my ankles or knees.

If I ever scrape the cash together I intend to buy a set with 10 and 12 up toms instead of 12 and 13s - a major reason is this positioning issue (also the 12 and 13 toms don't have sufficient difference in sound)

You kit may look slightly goofy and off kilter with toms set up this way, but I find it much more comfortable than having both toms kick mounted. If your toms aren't too deep you may find this set up works for you.
    Last edited by crispycritters; 03-25-2015 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Bad explanation - gramatical errors etc.

User Info Menu

The best way (at least what worked for me) was to start with the snare and offset toms. Get that in a good place before adding anything else. Me, it was snare centered between the mounted toms.

Then I added the bass drum and Hi-Hat so I can get the basics in place.

Work with that unless you want to add a ride cymbal and floor tom just to get a feel of the entire kit.

I do think you should start with snare, toms, and Hats, first.

Another thought....when I first set it up I did it similar to how it would look with dual bass drums. So the snare and toms faced forward and when I added the bass drum it was at an angle like if there were two bass drums. This helped with ease of placement.
    Last edited by Bish; 03-25-2015 at 01:16 PM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Did you set it up more like a standard straight forward bass drum or did you offset it more like a double bass kit?

Most of the time if you do the virgin tom you will want to offset/angle the bass drum. Then the hi-hat is moving crazy out of the way either.

User Info Menu

I could never get into offset toms. I can't find a comfortable spot for the hi hats. Always went back to 1 up 2 down.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I could never get into offset toms. I can't find a comfortable spot for the hi hats. Always went back to 1 up 2 down.
    Same. Anything that causes any awkwardness whatsover on my hi hat ain't gonna happen. IMO toms are dessert items and they can't be allowed to impinge on the bread and butter items.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Another thought....when I first set it up I did it similar to how it would look with dual bass drums. So the snare and toms faced forward and when I added the bass drum it was at an angle like if there were two bass drums. This helped with ease of placement.
    +1

I played an offset 2 up, 1 down setup for years when I was playing double kick. When I went back to a single pedal/kick setup I just took away the left kick and pretty much left everything else alone. The hi hat pedal ended up being where my left kick drum pedal used to be.

User Info Menu

I like for my rack tom to be set up right in front of my snare, and I either use a suspension mount (for my Pork Pies) or a snare stand (my Pearls and Tamas). I don't really feel like anything is "offset" so to speak. My kick and my hat pedals are equal distance away from my drum throne, my snare is smack between my legs and my rack tom is right in front of it. It's very comfortable to me.

User Info Menu

Problem was I had to move the 15" HH way over to the left to keep from cutting my hands when I went to the small tom. That led to me facing the hats too much and stretching to keep my rt. foot on the kick pedal. I loved playing the toms that way but my posture just wasn't right for the set up.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT

User Info Menu

If it hurts stop doing it. Just because something works for person A doesnt mean it will work for you.

User Info Menu

No matter what with offset, my legs are just too far apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I guess a virgin kick kit is now only possible for me if I hang the toms from stands on each side. I better be looking for heavy duty cymbal stands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    If it hurts stop doing it. Just because something works for person A doesnt mean it will work for you.
    Guy walks into a doctor's office and says, "Doc, it hurts when I do this." and the doctor says, "Don't do that."

The drum set is by nature a modular instrument, meaning it's actually a collection of multiple smaller instruments grouped together to form one larger one. One of the great advantages of being a drummer is that you can customize the placement of those instruments to fit your particular physical comfort, body type, etc. Ergonomics are your friend. Pain is your body's way of telling you, "Don't do that." so cut it out
    The answer to all "Which one should I buy?" questions is the same. Play them and choose the one that sounds best to you.

User Info Menu

Try placing your snare and your tom(s) exactly where you want them. Build from there. What you'll find is that your kick will be slightly offset to the right.

User Info Menu

There is a reason the great spirit in the sky gave us 4 piece sets!!!

LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Problem was I had to move the 15" HH way over to the left to keep from cutting my hands when I went to the small tom. That led to me facing the hats too much and stretching to keep my rt. foot on the kick pedal. I loved playing the toms that way but my posture just wasn't right for the set up.
    That's exactly what happened to me on an off-set rack tom set up. My body is twisted more to the left. I love the position of the ride over the kick but my the HH had to be positioned so my left hand (knuckles) could clear the edge of the HH cymbals when reaching for the 10" tom.

Off set:

Using a rack gave me the ability to slightly off set the toms where by using a tom stand or a standard bass drum tom mount wouldn't of worked:

User Info Menu

I think it depends on the area where you feel the most natural. Every time I change my set up I ask myself if what I'm doing feels natural when I'm playing. Most people have certain preferences. For example I like to sit incredibly high when I'm playing but it doesn't that it's necessarily the best set up. I like my hi hat you be close in and my right tom to be in the far right. Basically it's whatever feels the most natural to you more than anything. Start with your bass, snare and Hi hat and go from there.

"Now you're singing with a swing"