Thread: PDP Owners help, Memory Locks for Toms

User Info Menu

Default PDP Owners help, Memory Locks for Toms

So as a trick I've learned over the years of playing I have been using fuel line clamps for memory locks for my toms. The suspension toms didn't originally come with memory locks on the tom holders. So this is a cheap quick fix.

Well my OCD kicks in as always and I want all legit parts. So I ordered these DW memory locks for 10.5 arms

But they do not fit the PDP STM mount for crap. I was so surprised and shocked. And now I have one open package so the store I bought them from won't take that package back. (online purchase)

So here is the mounts that I have. Are there different memory locks for these specific drums? Anyone else using memory locks?

Just looking for any help or info. The hose clamps will work I'd just rather have something more solid that locks in place

User Info Menu

Default Re: PDP Owners help, Memory Locks for Toms

I have a set of Concept Maples and whilst the dill hole pattern for the tom mounts are the same as DW mounts the L arm diameter is different (PDP smaller) and the space where the memory locks fit are different, as you've found.

What this means is that a PDP drum can take a DW mount but you would then have to swap the arms and memory locks. Same is true for floor tom leg mounts.

The only option I can see here is to contact your local DW/PDP dealer and ask for the memory locks. I did a quick look online for a part number but came up short. The dealer should be able to assist here though.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

yeah google searched all morning before giving up and making this thread. My local Guitar Center is a little over an hour away and they are the worst to deal with in the drum department. They never can figure out what I want. Very disapointed in their staffs knowledge

User Info Menu

**And moderators I have no idea why there are two threads? I only hit submit once.. So please delete the other**

User Info Menu

Try calling DW customer service and tell them what you are looking for. They are really helpful and if they have any laying around, they will probably send them to you for free. Make sure to call and not email though, they're not good about returning emails, at least not from my experience.

User Info Menu

The memory locks for the PDP L-arms are smaller in diameter than the ones for DW. I also had this problem when I tried to use DW memory locks on my PDP MX Series drums. I would just call DW/PDP and ask them which part # you need. They will probably sell them directly to you over the phone. I did that years ago and they showed up in about 5 days. I bought extras and I think they charged my credit card about $20. Their number is 1-800-453-7867.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    My local Guitar Center is a little over an hour away and they are the worst to deal with in the drum department. They never can figure out what I want. Very disapointed in their staffs knowledge
    Typical for them.

User Info Menu

yeah google searched all morning before giving up and making this thread. My local Guitar Center is a little over an hour away and they are the worst to deal with in the drum department. They never can figure out what I want. Very disapointed in their staffs knowledge
    If you mean the Madison store, then I feel your pain. The girl that's been in the drum department the last few times I've been in seems to have zero interest in doing her job.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    If you mean the Madison store, then I feel your pain. The girl that's been in the drum department the last few times I've been in seems to have zero interest in doing her job.
    the one with all the random colors and stuff in her hair... yeah...

User Info Menu

Not 100% sure if they fit PDP mounts, but there's a memory lock from Drum Factory Direct that has fit every tom mount, boom rod, etc that I've tried it on regardless of diameter (except for the extra thick DW ones), and they're only like $3 each or something. You may want to track it down, should be easy to find, and contact DFD. They've always been helpful.

User Info Menu

the one with all the random colors and stuff in her hair... yeah...
    That's the one.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

So I called DW twice now.

The first time the guy was very helpful put me on hold and came back with a part number. Problem was he gave me the number for the wrong part.

So I called back spoke to another gentleman. He wasn't sure what to do. So he told me everyone was on lunch and he'd call me back when he found out. I never get a phone call back. So I'm just waiting.

At this point I think I'm stuck. Because the X7 is a discontinued kit.

User Info Menu

You are only stuck if you require the locks to be DW or PDP. If they can be any brand as long as they fit, then DFD, Gibraltar and maybe Tama (I think their tom mounts are the same diameter) have memory locks that should work.

User Info Menu

What you have are the memory locks for cymbal arms. This is the part you need. It is a tom mount memory lock. Hope this helps. It is part number: dwsmTM12CR.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamashane View Post
    What you have are the memory locks for cymbal arms. This is the part you need. It is a tom mount memory lock. Hope this helps. It is part number: dwsmTM12CR.
    Thank you! The part I bought says Tom lock. But youre right it would work better for cymbals.

User Info Menu

Why not just mark where you want the tom to be with a permanent marker right on the L arm? Simple.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Kay-gee, you are right that a marker would be simple. I have used marker, fingernail polish and tape as reference markers for cymbal arms and toms. Memory locks are sooooo much easier. Put them where you want them and you never have to look for a marker in the dark again.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.

User Info Menu

Markers on chrome virtually disappear under colored stage lighting...tape doesn't, Mem. Locks don't, either.
    Last edited by slinglander; 03-29-2015 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Txt
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

When a memory lock literally "Locks" a tom in place it's perfectly where you set it each and every time. Right now I put the tom on and I get the correct height but them I'm tweaking them left and right to get the right angle. And it's not a lot of trouble but with memory locking clamps it would be no trouble cause they would always click in place.

Kay-gee if you saw my original post I went above and beyond marker with hose clamps. But I want that perfect set each and every time with the same angles.

User Info Menu

Spaz, the cool thing about DW and PDP is that if you look close, the clamp on the tom is beveled on the top and bottom. The tom mem. lock is also beveled on the top. Put your tom on the arm and get it right where you want it. Then slide the mem. lock up to the tom mount making sure the bevels match up and lock it in place and you will be set from now on. just slide the tom on the arm and match the bevels and rock on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamashane View Post
    Spaz, the cool thing about DW and PDP is that if you look close, the clamp on the tom is beveled on the top and bottom. The tom mem. lock is also beveled on the top. Put your tom on the arm and get it right where you want it. Then slide the mem. lock up to the tom mount making sure the bevels match up and lock it in place and you will be set from now on. just slide the tom on the arm and match the bevels and rock on.
    That part looks correct for what I need except that part number the 12 represents 12mm which is the bigger size for DW. The DW CX series and PDP X7 use a smaller 10mm leg. Think it closes small enough for both? From the picture it looks like there is still room for it to close tighter

User Info Menu

That part looks correct for what I need except that part number the 12 represents 12mm which is the bigger size for DW. The DW CX series and PDP X7 use a smaller 10mm leg. Think it closes small enough for both? From the picture it looks like there is still room for it to close tighter
    Go to the DW web site and under the accessories tab click "factory accessories". I think you will find it there. I'm not sure if one fits all, as mine came with my kit when I bought it. But, it does look like there is room to close tighter.