Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blasphemy! - Pic Heavy

User Info Menu

Default Blasphemy! - Pic Heavy

Hey guys.

I've committed drum blasphemy.

After several complaints from my better half, neighbors, etc..................I decided to jump to the dark side.

Due to my schedule, I normally can't practice until after 8 o'clock...............and I was making to much noise for the family..............kids had to sleep, wife would be annoyed, and on and on

I didn't want to go completely electronic, because I hate the way E-kits and cymbals "feel".

So, I bought a set of Zildjian Gen16 cymbals along with a set of Pearl E-pro heads and a Yamaha DTX502 module.

Now I can practice at anytime and no one is bothered.

Years ago, I did an acoustic to electronic conversion, but these heads have a much better feel, and are easier to transition back to real heads, than the mesh heads I previously used.

My other kit is still acoustic and set up at church, but this is my new practice kit.

Here are a few pics:

I am looking for a cheap kit to use, instead of my DW's...................it just seems soooo wrong.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Blasphemy! - Pic Heavy

Some more:

The Cymbal "Brain"

Bass head

User Info Menu

The connector............it uses the existing vent hole

User Info Menu

A few more

The Cymbal "mic".......it's not a trigger

User Info Menu

I apologize for the low quality pics............but you get the idea.

User Info Menu

That's pretty awesome. Are the cymbals pretty much silent acoustically?

If you don't mind me asking, what did the whole set up cost?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    That's pretty awesome. Are the cymbals pretty much silent acoustically?

If you don't mind me asking, what did the whole set up cost?

Thanks Mark

The Gen16 cymbals are still audible................I'd guess around 15-20% of my acoustic cymbals volume........I've read about guys using these for small acoustic gigs, along with other hand percussion and they were loud enough for that.

They actually sound pretty decent acoustically.........pretty bright with a shorter decay, but I like the sound

I've never added up the price until now.

I scoured Ebay and CL to find the best new and used deals.

Pearl E-pro heads, with all cables etc. - $460

Zildjian Gen 16 set + 1 extra 18" crash and China - $500

Yamaha Module - $110

Right around a grand, give or take a bit. That doesn't include the drums themselves

User Info Menu

Hey that's great,

User Info Menu

Beautiful looking kit Butch. You'll have to let us know how well those Gen16 cymbals work out. I've heard some bad things about them.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

nothing wrong with ekits! they're just not as good (but in some ways more fun!)

Those gen16 cymbals are quite interesting, i was told you can modulate the sound, but not entirely change it. as is, I like their sound, and they look really cool!

The 502 module is a nice improvement on the 500, how did you get the 502 for 100usd? for that money, I'll upgrade mine. Check out the rhythm gate function, nothing like having a computer confirm how good/bad you are Also, there is this cool function that slowly increases the tempo...

For practice, there is nothing better than a yammy or roland ekit, so many useful things!
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Hmmmm for the money it actually sounds cheaper and better to do this than buy a decent ekit which will run $1500-$2k.

I agree you need to change it out to a cheap CB kit or similar because there is something just so wrong about doing that to a DW.

Thanks for posting all the info
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I'm so jealous right now

LOL

awesome!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    Hey that's great,
    Thanks MYK

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Beautiful looking kit Butch. You'll have to let us know how well those Gen16 cymbals work out. I've heard some bad things about them.
    Thanks Mark, I've been using the for around 7 months now.............no complaints yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    nothing wrong with ekits! they're just not as good (but in some ways more fun!)

Those gen16 cymbals are quite interesting, i was told you can modulate the sound, but not entirely change it. as is, I like their sound, and they look really cool!

The 502 module is a nice improvement on the 500, how did you get the 502 for 100usd? for that money, I'll upgrade mine. Check out the rhythm gate function, nothing like having a computer confirm how good/bad you are Also, there is this cool function that slowly increases the tempo...

For practice, there is nothing better than a yammy or roland ekit, so many useful things!
    Thanks JGZ.............yep, E-kits definitely have their place..............I tried them before, but wasn't happy (Roland TD-6)............but I'm liking this. The perfect practice kit IMO.

The cymbals are "mic'ed", not triggered like most e-cymbals, so they don't have the vastly different sounds as you'd get from an E-cymbal..............but they feel like real cymbals....................which was always my biggest complaint with them.

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Hmmmm for the money it actually sounds cheaper and better to do this than buy a decent ekit which will run $1500-$2k.

I agree you need to change it out to a cheap CB kit or similar because there is something just so wrong about doing that to a DW.

Thanks for posting all the info
    Thanks MDK...................looking at a cheap Sonor kit next week............hopefully I can get it for a decent trade/price.

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I'm so jealous right now

LOL

awesome!

all the best...
    Thanks KG,

I'm jealous of the Bahamas.................guess we're even now!
    Last edited by longgun; 03-27-2015 at 02:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow thats great! Thanks for the info.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    It is absolutely the way to go. The hardware and heads for the drums is only about $40 each

To switch back, just revove the triggers, change the heads and you are good.

I have 3 off brand kits that I'm in the process of converting. It is very simple.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    The 502 module is a nice improvement on the 500, how did you get the 502 for 100usd? for that money, I'll upgrade mine.
    Bought it during one of those "stupid deals of the day" type sales.......they normally run around $200 new

User Info Menu

Awesome idea Longun. Congrats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    Awesome idea Longun. Congrats.
    Thanks Spiderjig

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Hey guys.

I've committed drum blasphemy.

After several complaints from my better half, neighbors, etc..................I decided to jump to the dark side.

Due to my schedule, I normally can't practice until after 8 o'clock...............and I was making to much noise for the family..............kids had to sleep, wife would be annoyed, and on and on

I didn't want to go completely electronic, because I hate the way E-kits and cymbals "feel".

So, I bought a set of Zildjian Gen16 cymbals along with a set of Pearl E-pro heads and a Yamaha DTX502 module.

Now I can practice at anytime and no one is bothered.

Years ago, I did an acoustic to electronic conversion, but these heads have a much better feel, and are easier to transition back to real heads, than the mesh heads I previously used.

My other kit is still acoustic and set up at church, but this is my new practice kit.

Here are a few pics:

I am looking for a cheap kit to use, instead of my DW's...................it just seems soooo wrong.
    How cool is that! Nice work longgun!

User Info Menu

Interesting...how difficult will it be to plug the whole set up into a PA system, module and all?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    How cool is that! Nice work longgun!
    Thanks Olimpass

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Interesting...how difficult will it be to plug the whole set up into a PA system, module and all?
    Not difficult at all.................I have plugged it in through my Roland KC550.....and it sounds decent............just one cable from my interface.

User Info Menu

Love this idea - here's my recent "pick up an abused kit cheap and convert it" project. Quick refurb and convert to e-kit. With the advantage others have said - can go to acoustic at any time.

BEFORE[IMG][/IMG]
    AFTER[IMG][/IMG]
    Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Love this idea - here's my recent "pick up an abused kit cheap and convert it" project. Quick refurb and convert to e-kit. With the advantage others have said - can go to acoustic at any time.

BEFORE[IMG][/IMG]
    AFTER[IMG][/IMG]

Looks great Gman.......do you use this as a practice kit or do you gig with it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post

BEFORE[IMG][/IMG]
    AFTER[IMG][/IMG]
    My word. Talk about difference between day and night. I need to do this to my resurrection kit. Totally in awe on this.

I need a parts list. Got any PM's left in you G-man? If you feel up to it PM me a list of what you had to buy.

VERY well done!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Those hybrid conversions are awesome guys. I would like to do the same someday. Maybe even do it to a small Jungle kit, just to take advantage of the smaller footprint as well.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham