Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: in/cm

User Info Menu

Default Re: in/cm

Now you got me confused Einstein I mean Slinky

User Info Menu

hey MCX, it's not too confusing. I wrote this out the other day at a stoplight on a napkin. It was bothering me keeping it inside my head.

Nuclear physics

Nucleus · Nucleons (p, n) · Nuclear force · Nuclear reaction
    Nuclear models and stability[show]Liquid drop · Nuclear shell · Nuclear structure
    Binding energy · p–n ratio · Drip line · Stability Isl.
    Nuclides' classification[show]Isotopes – equal Z
    Isobars – equal A
    Isotones – equal N
    Isodiaphers – equal N − Z
    Isomers – equal all the above
    Mirror nuclei – Z ↔ N
    Stable · Magic · Even/odd · Halo
    Radioactive decay[Nuclides: Primordial · Cosmogenic · Artificial
    · ·

The neutron–proton ratio (N/Z ratio or nuclear ratio) of an atomic nucleus is the ratio of its number of neutrons to its number protons. The ratio generally increases with increasing atomic numbers due to increasing nuclear charge due to repulsive forces of protons. Light elements, up to calcium (Z = 20), have stable isotopes with N/Z ratio of one except for beryllium (N/Z ratio = 1.25), and every element with odd proton numbers from fluorine to potassium. Hydrogen-1 (N/Z ratio = 0) and helium-3 (N/Z ratio = 0.5) are the only stable isotopes with neutron–proton ratio under one. Uranium-238 and plutonium-244 have the highest N/Z ratios of any primordial nuclide at 1.587 and 1.596, respectively, while lead-208 has the highest N/Z ratio of any known stable isotope at 1.537.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    hey MCX, it's not too confusing. I wrote this out the other day at a stoplight on a napkin. It was bothering me keeping it inside my head.

Nuclear physics

Nuclear models and stability[show]Liquid drop · Nuclear shell · Nuclear structure
    Isobars – equal A
    Isotones – equal N
    Mirror nuclei – Z ↔ N
    · ·

The neutron–proton ratio (N/Z ratio or nuclear ratio) of an atomic nucleus is the ratio of its number of neutrons to its number protons. The ratio generally increases with increasing atomic numbers due to increasing nuclear charge due to repulsive forces of protons. Light elements, up to calcium (Z = 20), have stable isotopes with N/Z ratio of one except for beryllium (N/Z ratio = 1.25), and every element with odd proton numbers from fluorine to potassium. Hydrogen-1 (N/Z ratio = 0) and helium-3 (N/Z ratio = 0.5) are the only stable isotopes with neutron–proton ratio under one. Uranium-238 and plutonium-244 have the highest N/Z ratios of any primordial nuclide at 1.587 and 1.596, respectively, while lead-208 has the highest N/Z ratio of any known stable isotope at 1.537.
    Dang...and they say drummers are the dumb ones out of the bunch too....(sighs).

User Info Menu

NZ is interesting because while we officially use metric, we tend to use imperial for some measurements. We use kilometers per hour for speed, but then we might say a town is 10 miles in that direction. We'll measure our height in feet and inches, but then we'll weigh ourselves in kilograms. Height for buildings and other structures are always measured in metres, though.

Kind of reflects our dialect as well. We'll use both British and American words for things, sometimes in the same sentence e.g. "Throw that rubbish in the trash". We use both hood and bonnet, but the back of the car is always the boot, not the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by mildbill View Post
    The metric system makes sense for length.

No sense at all for temperature though.
    I know. We should all be using kelvin.
    Last edited by xweasel; 04-03-2015 at 04:06 PM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Smile Re: in/cm

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post

Nuclear physics

Isobars – equal A
    Isotones – equal N
    Mirror nuclei – Z ↔ N
    · ·

WOW! Just how long are the stoplights where you live?
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

All I know is that, in a nanosecond, you can go from here to here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    NZ is interesting because while we officially use metric, we tend to use imperial for some measurements. We use kilometers per hour for speed, but then we might say a town is 10 miles in that direction. We'll measure our height in feet and inches, but then we'll weigh ourselves in kilograms. Height for buildings and other structures are always measured in metres, though.

Kind of reflects our dialect as well. We'll use both British and American words for things, sometimes in the same sentence e.g. "Throw that rubbish in the trash". We use both hood and bonnet, but the back of the car is always the boot, not the trunk.

I know. We should all be using kelvin.
    I deal with kelvin almost daily...to white balance my camera.

User Info Menu

they are also all weighed in grams .
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

The biggest problem we have with the Metric system is tangible reference. No doubt that a system based on 10 is logical and easy, but measurement is used mostly for reference in the average person's world. Metric is perfect for universal reference, calculations, engineering....any type of "number crunching". Having used Imperial for so long, Americans developed a point of reference from an early age. Most of us can look at a room and say, "this is about 12' x 20'". Machinists think in.001". We can tell someone to "move 6' to your left", "give me 2Lbs of hamburger", "that engine is rated at 310Hp" or "fill up a 5 gallon bucket", and our reference is understood effectively. I think when we (USA) tried to convert to Metric, the disruption of effective communication was more of a factor.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I agree

User Info Menu

I like being able to go through the drive-thru and order a 1/4 pounder and a large coke.

Where would I be in some other country? Give me a 1/3 kilogramer and 2/3 liter of coke.

"The litre or liter is a non-SI metric system unit of volume equal to 1 cubic decimetre, 1,000 cubic centimetres or 1/1,000 cubic metre. A cubic decimetre occupies a volume of 10×10×10 centimetres and is thus equal to one-thousandth of a cubic metre"

Well, that certainly cleared it up for me. Give me a 6 pack and a quart of scotch---------so easy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    The biggest problem we have with the Metric system is tangible reference. No doubt that a system based on 10 is logical and easy, but measurement is used mostly for reference in the average person's world. Metric is perfect for universal reference, calculations, engineering....any type of "number crunching". Having used Imperial for so long, Americans developed a point of reference from an early age. Most of us can look at a room and say, "this is about 12' x 20'". Machinists think in.001". We can tell someone to "move 6' to your left", "give me 2Lbs of hamburger", "that engine is rated at 310Hp" or "fill up a 5 gallon bucket", and our reference is understood effectively. I think when we (USA) tried to convert to Metric, the disruption of effective communication was more of a factor.
    I agree with this. It is difficult for me to envision what a ml looks like never mind that there's 355 of them in a bottle of beer. When you say "about an ounce", I can picture a shot glass.

Some things are not difficult though. A kilometer is 10 football fields. Liter is easy. You've always had liters in USA but you always called a quart. What you call a yard is a meter so no big deal really.

@ rick... McDonalds in Canada sell 1\4 pounders and large Cokes so no worry.

The thing that gets me is that we are all getting screwed. Bought a pound of bacon or coffee lately? It's now 12 oz. Whaddup widdat?

all the best...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It's bad enough that some drums use Metric thread fasteners, but they have to be odd-ball sizes to boot. IIRC, Premier even used metric sized heads long ago. When it comes to working on cars, the problem with Metric fasteners is all the variations. Japanese use one set of common sizes, European another, etc..
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham