Thread: Advice on Replacing Toms

User Info Menu

Default Advice on Replacing Toms

I've been out of the loop on drumming for about 10 years now, I played for about 6 years with lessons, got quite good, and stopped once my band split up after College.

Anyways, I still have my set, and recently tried to improve it with a Bass Drum addition. I don't particularly like the sound of my Westburys bass, and didn't realize when I purchased a Peavey Bass drum that the tom mounts had different tom arm sizes than my Westbury. My original plan was to just place the Westbury toms in to the Peavey Bass Drum, and didn't anticipate a problem.

So I need some advice. Can I just buy an adapter arm that will slim the giant Westbury arm down to the size of the Peavey tom arm? Or, am I better off to find a tom mount that fits to one of my cymbals? Is there an easier way than spending hundreds to get this done? Thanks a lot

User Info Menu

Default Re: Advice on Replacing Toms

Buy two clamps and clamp each tom & arm onto a cymbal stand =$25 total and you keep your "virgin" bass.
    You can't use thinner tom arms to replace the Westbury's because the tom mount will be too big for the thinner arms.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I'm guessing the Westbury uses 7/8" diameter arm (Pearl style) but the Peavey bass has 3/4" diameter tube mounts?

If so, could simply take the 7/8" tube mount off the Westbury bass and install it onto the Peavy shell. You might have to drill new bolt holes and enlarge the tube holes. OR......You could just replace the 7/8 tube mounts on the toms with 3/4" ones and use 3/4" tom arms.

If you can clarify exactly what you have we may be able to help...
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Gibraltar sc-4429 3 way multi clamp. It has 3 clamps. one for each tom arm, and one for the cymbal stand. Put a cymbal stand in between the two bass drums, and use the clamp to grab the two tom arms.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Go to Gibraltars web site. They will have everything you need to make the conversion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I'm guessing the Westbury uses 7/8" diameter arm (Pearl style) but the Peavey bass has 3/4" diameter tube mounts?

If so, could simply take the 7/8" tube mount off the Westbury bass and install it onto the Peavy shell. You might have to drill new bolt holes and enlarge the tube holes. OR......You could just replace the 7/8 tube mounts on the toms with 3/4" ones and use 3/4" tom arms.

If you can clarify exactly what you have we may be able to help...

If this works I am in your debt and graditude... I don't know the measurements, but I think you're right they are the same as the Pearl. My set was made a year after Pearl stopped making Westburys, and they sound like a thin piece of leather stretched out across a prairie dune. I hope that works, if not it's off to Gibraltar for other ideas.

Thanks everyone for the tips, I will update once the tasks complete. Cheers

User Info Menu

Hey there Slypty

Here's the Westbury:

Here's the Peavy:

I'd swap bass drum mounts since both have the squared off mounts and by looking at the generic offering from Gibraltar (SC-670BB), I'm betting you won't even need to drill out any holes. I suspect the Westbury mount will swap right over to the Peavy bass drum and the mounting screws for the tom holder will probably line right up since both are generic Taiwan made drums.

Last edited by late8; 04-02-2015 at 05:37 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm with slinglander on this one. Using two multiclamps on on cymbal stands would be the way to go. You would also be able to make the set a little more ergonical with a 1 up 2 down setup. I always found the deeper toms to be a little difficult to get to a comfortable playing position.