Thread: my new shellpack - and - the cymbals

User Info Menu

Default my new shellpack - and - the cymbals

I haven't got this setup yet but I would like to post a photo or two of the shellpack and the cymbals. This is some of what I have so far........

The room is being renovated. My setup may change once I get everything together. I'm still looking at ideas for a setup that feels good to me. I've been learning how to tune them recently - I'm never satisfied with what I end up with. It will come together no doubt.

Does anybody have any ideas on what is the best way to mount the toms with the GTS mounting system? It looks like you can use what comes with Gretsch or use something altogether different like what came with the Gibralter 9813DP Tom Stands I have there. I'm using a combination of each. When my Gibraltar Long and Short cymbal brake tilters (6 - 3 of each of the SC-LBBT and SC-SBBT) come I guess I will have to see what works the best. I will have to buy more pieces I think because I have 2 splash and 2 chinas and a 10" BELL. This is all new to me and I can't wait until I get it all set up.

Has anyone out the used this hardware with a Gretsch shellpack?

Kona
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

damn nice drums and pies man. quality stuff. i like the way the toms are mounted now. as long as the hardware is VERY sturdy for hanging the drums over the kick like that. its pretty much how i mount mine when i use a 4 or 5 piece, except i use 3 way pearl clamps on bc2000 stands. i doubt the gretsch tom arms that came with the pack would be anything less than quality. they are a great company.

User Info Menu

funkymcstain

We'll see how it all holds up - I will be very careful not to have everthing come crashing down around me.
    I really like your Photobucket link - Is that you on your kit? Pretty impressive man!

I'm just starting out here. I'm tuning my drums tonight. What a hell-o-va-chore that's turning out to be. It all sounds good until I record it (on a digital cam) and play it back throught my kickin computer sound system. They sound good when played back if I tune them higher than what I like. When I tune them to a nice tom tom "growl" they don't sound very good on playback. It's a learning curve I guess. And one area on the 16x16 batter head (Evans G2) stays a little wrinkled and I have to crank it a time or two more than the other lugs just to get it out. I don't know if that's normal - is it? I don't remember it being so complex when I played a Gretsch kit back in 1969.
    Last edited by kona; 10-26-2007 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Added name to whom I replied

User Info Menu

wholey hellbags on wheels!

Those cymbals look awesome!

And the kit.

Bah i died and gone to heaven! :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Default Eliminator pix

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    damn nice drums and pies man. quality stuff. i like the way the toms are mounted now. as long as the hardware is VERY sturdy for hanging the drums over the kick like that. its pretty much how i mount mine when i use a 4 or 5 piece, except i use 3 way pearl clamps on bc2000 stands. i doubt the gretsch tom arms that came with the pack would be anything less than quality. they are a great company.

I took my new Yamaha HS-1100 hat stand back and traded it for a much superior stand, in my view, the Pearl H-2000 2 leg Eliminator. It feels and looks good - a real quality stand I think.
    Pix to view.............
    Last edited by kona; 10-27-2007 at 03:20 AM. Reason: changed title

User Info Menu

Default pearl h-2000 2 leg eliminator

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I took my new Yamaha HS-1100 hat stand back and traded it for a much superior stand, in my view, the Pearl H-2000 2 leg Eliminator. It feels and looks good - a real quality stand I think.
    Pix to view.............
    yes it is a nice quality and strong hi hat stand kona. i have the same stand, with the pearl set i have. when i went for my pearl H-2000, i was actually gonna buy the pearl H-1000, but they didnt have that one in stock but had the H-2000 in stock, ... and got it for the price of the H-1000. so yeah very nice hi hat stand, strong and durable. it also came with 3 different size cams.

User Info Menu

Pix to view.............
    yes kona very nice hi hat stand, i have the same one with my pearl set.
    very strong and durable stand. i was gonna buy the pearl H-1000 but they didnt have it in stock, but had the H-2000 in stock. so i got the H-2000 for the price of the H-1000. it also came with 3 different cams, i love it and glad i got it Happy drummin Enjoy

User Info Menu

Beautiful kit and cymbals, the hihat stand looks great too,
    Enjoy it!
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

very nice kit man

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Beautiful finish man! Gotta integrate those congos into the kit though!
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Default Congas Into Kit - Ya

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    Beautiful finish man! Gotta integrate those congos into the kit though!

I'm working on it - got to get the cymbals up first and then I'll work the congas, bongos and rotos into the "act".

This is what my drum room looks like so far - just starting on it. I have no idea how I'm going to place my 13 cymbals I recently bought. I was only ofing to buy 5 maybe 6 - I just got carried away in cymbal-land!

The rest of the congas are off to your left.

User Info Menu

Kona, if you figure out the placement of the roto toms, the hi-hat, and the rest of the cymbals let me know. I bought a roto tom set up like yours, and I am still fiddling with the placement. I like where you have yours, but then I would think my hi-hat might get in the way, and I'd have to find a new place for my 14" crash.

Likewise, if I figure out anything, I'll be happy to pass anything along to you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Kona, if you figure out the placement of the roto toms, the hi-hat, and the rest of the cymbals let me know. I bought a roto tom set up like yours, and I am still fiddling with the placement. I like where you have yours, but then I would think my hi-hat might get in the way, and I'd have to find a new place for my 14" crash.

Likewise, if I figure out anything, I'll be happy to pass anything along to you.

When I get my rack system together I think it will be a challenge to set the cymbals and the roto toms in there. I've seen where someone has put the toms on a stand and used a rack to mount cymbals and roto toms, having the rotos a little more to the front of the bass drum.

Anyway - if Terry Bozzio can figure out all his gear I'm sure we'll do just fine.

Gary

User Info Menu

Anyway - if Terry Bozzio can figure out all his gear I'm sure we'll do just fine.

Gary
    You make an excellent point, my friend!!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    I actually like the rack toms a little more level (like a table almost) so I can play down and use gravity to an advantage rather than having the stick bounce back to me at an odd angle if you know what I mean - I'm just saying that's how I like it. But, we'll see how everything pans out when I get it all together. I just ordered another Roto Tom today. I bought an 8,10 and 12 about 25 years ago - that's what's in the photo with my kit now. I want to take the 12 out and just use the new 6 with the 8 and maybe 10. That will give me a tom range of from 6 to 16 inches with a 2" spread bewteen each tom - will try it anyway and see.

User Info Menu

That is one great looking kit, I was actually thinking about adding roto toms to mine, but not sure I would use them much, let us know how they work out for you.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Default Adding Roto Toms

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    That is one great looking kit, I was actually thinking about adding roto toms to mine, but not sure I would use them much, let us know how they work out for you.
    I wouldn't worry about if you wern't going to use them much. They're fun to use and easily add extra toms to the kit while having the feature of being left behind without taking away from your kit's look if you know what I mean. They're pretty easy to tune up as well. I put darker (Remo black dot - more muting) heads on mine because they seem to tune with my kit a little better - each to their own.

I was in a few bands years ago - the following one for a couple of years -it was fun - I'm second from right. The second photo was taken by me after I left the band - I just happened to be at the same "Easter Be In - Stanley Park - Vancouver BC. I was in a different band at the time and played until 1976, quit, sold my Gretsch kit I bought new in 1969 and been away from playing until this year.
    http://pnwbands.com/behyndman.html

Haulling extra equipment, especially if you're not using it much, is always something to consider alright. In my case I am only building this kit for personal use at home. If down the road I end up playing in a band and having to move drums around - I'll do it like a lot of other drummers these days - I'll get a smaller kit, have it always ready to go, and that way only be packing up a few pieces of hardware.

Are you really a Church Drummer? And, if you are, do you leave your drums at the church?

My wife would love it if I got a band together at our church. There's a choir there now, been there forever, but never has there been a band as such. It may come to pass - we'll see.
    Last edited by kona; 11-03-2007 at 03:54 PM. Reason: posted too soon accidentally - hit wrong key!

User Info Menu

Beautiful kit and cymbals.