Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ahead Drumsticks

User Info Menu

Default Ahead Drumsticks

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience using Ahead drumsticks? I am curious if they are worth the extra money.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ahead Drumsticks

I've been looking at getting a pair. But i'm worried they'll change my ride sound. I like a light ping with a solid wood stick, and I play nothing but rimshots on the snare. If I do get a pair, it would be the Rick Allen signatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I tried a pair. They played/felt fine. I really liked them...until one of them broke. When they break there is no warning, and most likely no finishing whatever song you're in. They snap in half and they are done. Kapoot. Cya. No mas. Adios.

Bottom line, they weren't for me. It's probably worth it to try a pair - you may fall in love with them.

Tex

User Info Menu

I've got a set. I like them. Use them both on my acoustic kit and electronic kit. Best thing for me is there is no pile of sawdust below my cymbals. No complaints but i do recommend using grip tape on the ends.

User Info Menu

Too heavy and awkward for me.

User Info Menu

For those of you who have tried them, is it true that they give less shock than wood sticks?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Too heavy and awkward for me.
    yeah I hate them. I have a pair or two. To heavy and the sleeve falls right where I place my hands so it's uncomfortable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Practicepad View Post
    For those of you who have tried them, is it true that they give less shock than wood sticks?
    That's what I've heard.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I've used them quite a bit in the past. For awhile they were my new stick of choice but as Tex stated when they decide to break you'll be holding nothing but the butt end. The main inconvenience for me was that they are a parts stick.

cons: expensive to get at least 3 pair in your stick bag, if you hit hard the core will eventually snap, about 5 parts make up one complete stick, sleeve changes do not go on as easily as claimed.

pros: good feel and balance (to me), sturdy, shock absorbing (although I didn't pay too much attention to that), they're recyclable
    Last edited by slinky; 04-04-2015 at 06:24 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I have a pair of 5B and I love them. I've used them for years (the same pair) and never had an issue. Wood sticks only last me a month or two. To me, they feel as light as 7As, have a nice balance and are easier on my hands than wood sticks. Only complaint is they do get slippery.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Like drummer said, they just feel too awkward. I don't know what it is, but they feel kind of... top heavy? They just feel completely wrong and unnatural to me. Definitely a case of try before you buy.
    Last edited by xweasel; 04-03-2015 at 11:21 PM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

There's a huge variety of customizations that I saw. Can you change out the tips?

-Mike

User Info Menu

Aquarian makes a stick too. Now I love my aquarian heads... no doubt..... but their sticks might be good for practicing but they're very fragile. I think they're a hard plastic. I'm pretty sure they're hollow inside so they crack vertically.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I tried a pair of 5Bs when they came out and pretty much hated them. They feel "wrong" to me. Never could get used to them.

Just my $0.02.
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

I've used them for years..................went away from them for a while and now I'm back.

I'm not a terribly hard hitter................but I've never broke one.............and one pair I've had for 5+ years.

They do take a bit of getting used to..........but then, once you're used to them..............it's hard to go back to wood sticks.

They do sound a bit brighter on the ride cymbal, because they use a nylon tip. They do reduce the "shock" to your hands.

I've only had one complaint.................one pair I bought, the tips would come loose and I had to tighten them back down periodically........................I've owned four different pairs, and only one pair did this.

User Info Menu

I went to my favorite drum store to check out the Ahead sticks. There was one set open and I hit a practice pad with them, comparing them to a wooden stick they had there. I noticed that there is indeed a difference in the amount of vibration and I picked up a pair to buy them. When I was talking to the guy behind the counter I mentioned the vibration issue, he recommended the Zildjian Anti-vibe sticks which I had never heard of. Big difference with these as well and much cheaper. I grabbed a set of the Zildjians.

User Info Menu

I would say they indeed have less vibration than wooden sticks. I've tried many wooden sticks and always come back to the Aheads. They just feel good to me.

User Info Menu

Tried them, tossed them. Didn't like the feel.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    I tried a pair. They played/felt fine. I really liked them...until one of them broke. When they break there is no warning, and most likely no finishing whatever song you're in. They snap in half and they are done. Kapoot. Cya. No mas. Adios.

Bottom line, they weren't for me. It's probably worth it to try a pair - you may fall in love with them.

Tex
    Sounds exactly like my experience with maple sticks. I'll be sure to stay clear of those.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Ive got a pair I was given to try. Don't like them balance seems off , little heavy ,don't like nylon tips and really want the wood chips to clean up lol
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

I have had a pair of 2b's for at least 15 years now. After seeing this thread I decided to pull them out of the stick bag and give them another try. They feel a bit too top heavy for my liking, and I dont particularly care for the sound of the tips on the ride. I'm usually a wood tip player, but still like a Vic or promark nylon tip sound. The ahead sticks do not sound like either of them. Maybe I would like the weight distribution of a different pair better, but at $30+ a pair, I not that eager to find out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by -bongos- View Post
    I have had a pair of 2b's for at least 15 years now. After seeing this thread I decided to pull them out of the stick bag and give them another try. They feel a bit too top heavy for my liking, and I dont particularly care for the sound of the tips on the ride. I'm usually a wood tip player, but still like a Vic or promark nylon tip sound. The ahead sticks do not sound like either of them. Maybe I would like the weight distribution of a different pair better, but at $30+ a pair, I not that eager to find out.
    I knew they would sound unnatural on the ride. I almost bought a pair but hesitated.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I just searched them out on MF. Very expensive. I like cheap no name sticks. If and when they break...who cares?!

The Ahead jazz brushes did catch my eye however. I would like to cheack them out.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have a couple pairs. My problem with them is I had trouble gripping them. Kinda slippery. I put grip tape on them and they are fine. I did bend one but I admit I am a heavy hitter. I usually use Vic Firth Ralph Hardimon marching sticks when I play. Bigger sticks are easier for me to hang on to.

User Info Menu

Like a number of other guys here, I tried the Ahead sticks when they were first introduced - and hated them. But that was many years ago, and I haven't tried any current models. Does anybody know if Ahead has improved the modular aluminum stick? If so, I'd be willing to give them another try.

GeeDeeEmm