Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you don't play out, what do you play?

User Info Menu

Default If you don't play out, what do you play?

I know most people on DC are members of a band or more than one band, so I would think that most of your playing at home would be practicing your songs the band plays, or for the church players, practicing what they play there.

I'm not in a band and just simply play for myself. I like to try and figure out the different beats in the music I like and practice those myself. I love to plug in the Ipod and play along to the music I'm listening to.

What do you do at home drumwise?

Do you make cover videos?
    Do you play to music you're listening to?
    Do you jam with friends?

What is it you do drumwise at home that gives you pleasure?
    Last edited by jgraham798; 04-03-2015 at 03:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Default Re: If you don't play out, what do you play?

I don't ever plan to be in a band or even play outside my basement.. its just something i enjoy and its VERY relaxing..

i have a projector that shoots on a 7' screen in front of my kit and i download alot of live dvd's or watch youtube videos while i play along.. I'm still a new so i don't do any hard stuff still.. the few things i play usually are

Ringo's live dvd from 2005 (can't remmeber the name. but its pretty easy)
    Robin trower live from rockpalast
    b52's dvd..
    BNL's live dvd.. which i am sure some people won't like.. but i was at that show and it was so much fun and some of the songs are fun to play

Last night i played along with some freddie king.. So basically whatever i am in the mood for

I don't really do covers or videos though.. i'm still new and learning, maybe one day

P.S. nice to see other people just play for themselves and enjoy it...

User Info Menu

I have an e-kit. I plug in my IPod where I have well over 100 drum less tracks stored. I'd rather play with a band, but don't have the time anymore. I've been know to bring my laptop up and pull up YouTube videos.
    Put on my headphones and flail away!

User Info Menu

I don't currently play in a band so to answer those questions...

1. Sometimes. Haven't done one in a couple years though.
    2. Yep. That's mostly what I play.
    3. Nope. I don't have any friends close by I can jam with.

I mostly play to music. There's always material to challenge myself with, regardless of skill level. And of course the easier, fun songs I like to smash out.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post

I mostly play to music. There's always material to challenge myself with, regardless of skill level. And of course the easier, fun songs I like to smash out.
    Same here with the exception of making videos. Can't stand watching myself. LOL!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

My drumming has come to a halt at the moment...We downsized our home and there is no room to set up...BUT...when I had the room, I too did not play with a band, but just enjoyed playing my set by myself or with my Ipod..the future is open to what ever will be given to me..so who knows..but Drumming is part of who I am as a man.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I don't play in a band. I just turn the ipod /headphones on and play to my favorite tunes of the 70-80's. I don't jam with anyone cause there aren't anyone talented enough to jam with up here in the hills. Oh! wait a minute I hear them banjos again lol.

User Info Menu

I mostly play at home to songbook/CD type material or just try to improvise and play along to the local radio station - as long as whatever is playing is relatively simple.

I have jammed with a few friends occasionally and it's more fun but this isn't a regular thing - different work patterns, family commitments etc.

I started drumming as a hobby and so far I've found it enjoyable and challenging. I can't see myself joining or attempting to join a band in the near future, even if I wanted to - I'm nowhere near ready and, unfortunately, I'm not a 'natural' or a quick learner - maybe this will change in a few years but at the moment I'm content with playing at home.

User Info Menu

Sometimes I play along with whatever songs are on the radio.

User Info Menu

Hobby drummer,have a small "room" I made in the basement by hanging carpet+underlay from the rafters just big enough for my 8 pc and cymbals.love to get down there every day for 45mins to a hour..very addicting, I look on cl for cymbals or drumstuff that i cant afford (and the wife wouldn't let me get anything else yet for a while).every time I get somthing I say ok that's it my kit is done but I'm on cl the next day lol

User Info Menu

I haven't played in a band in over a year now. I'll either just jam, no background music. Or find drumless tracks on YT. Very rarely the bass player from my band will come over and we'll jam.

User Info Menu

I play every weekend in my band, either a gig or practice, and sometimes once during the week as well. As a result, I never play drums at home. I really SHOULD however....I could certainly use the practice. All my "home drum" time is spent working on my project drum kits. On the flip side, I usually play guitar for an hour every day.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

After playing in bands with barely any break for 33 years, my most recent gig was last summer, almost a year. I miss the interaction, the audience, the workout you get from pushing that extra amount. You just won't or rarely will have that exuberance to dig in and produce playing by yourself.

I like the fact that while playing along to recorded tracks, I can stretch the creative as far as I choose with no repercussion. I can switch to another song the second I get bored of the one I am playing to. I do not have to pack up the kit, load it into the car through inclement weather. I don't sit in a banquet hall, club or arena killing the 2-6 hours between sound check and show time. And I don't miss getting home at 5 A.M. And either blowing out a nice Sunday, or having to get up early and struggle through a work day with little or no sleep.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I cover stuff, play along to entire albums on my I pad, and make my own stuff up, I do this most days as a warm up then do my serious drum stuff (for my tutor)
    For the band we rehearse once a week, that's all.

Bridie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
    I don't ever plan to be in a band or even play outside my basement.. its just something i enjoy and its VERY relaxing..

i have a projector that shoots on a 7' screen in front of my kit and i download alot of live dvd's or watch youtube videos while i play along..
    That's a cool idea. I need to try and do something like that. My office area is where I play and it's a normal sized bedroom 12 x 12 converted into a library/office/music room. I have a 7 piece acoustice set, Pearl Export ELX, and I also have an electronic set, so I have plenty to play around with.

[QUOTE=Icetech;639711]
    I'm still a new so i don't do any hard stuff still.. the few things i play usually are

Ringo's live dvd from 2005 (can't remmeber the name. but its pretty easy)
    Robin trower live from rockpalast
    b52's dvd..
    BNL's live dvd.. which i am sure some people won't like.. but i was at that show and it was so much fun and some of the songs are fun to play

Last night i played along with some freddie king.. So basically whatever i am in the mood for [QUOTE]

IceTech, I'm still a newbie myself. I've been playing for only the past couple of years and trying to teach myself how to play. I love the classic rock stuff as well as a lot of the 80's stuff and even have a love for some of the country stuff. I also like Blues and since I'm in a heavy Blues area I ge tto see a lot of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
    I don't really do covers or videos though.. i'm still new and learning, maybe one day
    P.S. nice to see other people just play for themselves and enjoy it...
    I don't do the covers or videos either, mainly because I don't know how to do them. I have a video recorder that I turn on a lot whne I play just to hear what it sounds like to someone just listening. I have found that on some grooves that I thought I was right on with were actually dragging in some spots. So, that gives me something to work on to better myself.

Thanks for the reply!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alvanko View Post
    I have an e-kit. I plug in my IPod where I have well over 100 drum less tracks stored. I'd rather play with a band, but don't have the time anymore. I've been know to bring my laptop up and pull up YouTube videos.
    Put on my headphones and flail away!
    I also have an electronic set and I plug my Ipod into and try to play to the songs. I have over 1100 songs on my Ipod and more on my computer that I haven't put on the Ipod yet.

I only have 7 or 8 drumless tracks that I bought. They are some classic rock, some Hendrix, andsome of the Doors stuff. I love to check out some of the youtube stuff myself. I have found some interesting things on there, and of course, RickThe Drummer's videos are there and well worth listening to.

Thanks for the reply!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post

I don't have any friends close either that play, so I just play to music I'm listening to. What type of music are you in to?

Thanks for the reply!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Same here with the exception of making videos. Can't stand watching myself. LOL!
    You sound like me, Mark! Most of my videos are just the audio because I look like a grounded whale sitting on the throne to myself on video....hehehee

Thanks for the reply!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    My drumming has come to a halt at the moment...We downsized our home and there is no room to set up...BUT...when I had the room, I too did not play with a band, but just enjoyed playing my set by myself or with my Ipod..the future is open to what ever will be given to me..so who knows..but Drumming is part of who I am as a man.
    I hate you're not able to play right now, Marty.

I have been laying off for the past several months because of a back injury I had last year. I've had a nerve block on it and did PT for 6 months, but the pain never goes away totally. It will let up some, but not go away. The doc says he can do surgery on it but can't say that will fix it, so I'm dealing with it as best I can.

I'm 60 years old this year and I always wanted to play drums, but never had the time or the room or the money until I got older and raised my family.

I'm not very good but I do enjoy myself when I can play. I've learned a lot of different things from people here at DC and from others on the web.

Thanks for the reply!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I don't play in a band. I just turn the ipod /headphones on and play to my favorite tunes of the 70-80's. I don't jam with anyone cause there aren't anyone talented enough to jam with up here in the hills. Oh! wait a minute I hear them banjos again lol.
    Uh oh, watch out for them banjos!! lol

I remember seeing some of the pics you posted one time and it seemed like you lived out pretty far....just my kind of place.

What are your favorite bands to listen and play to?
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I mostly play at home to songbook/CD type material or just try to improvise and play along to the local radio station - as long as whatever is playing is relatively simple.
    I have to play to simple songs myself and try to learn the different beats and I enjoy doing that. I have reached the point that I can keep pretty good time with several different beats as long as I don't try to do a fill or cymbal crashes..then it's disasterous.

[QUOTE=crispycritters;639730]
    I have jammed with a few friends occasionally and it's more fun but this isn't a regular thing - different work patterns, family commitments etc.
    [QUOTE]

I only know a couple of people that play but never have had the opportunity to jam any. I don't even know if I'm good enough to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I started drumming as a hobby and so far I've found it enjoyable and challenging. I can't see myself joining or attempting to join a band in the near future, even if I wanted to - I'm nowhere near ready and, unfortunately, I'm not a 'natural' or a quick learner - maybe this will change in a few years but at the moment I'm content with playing at home.
    It's a hobby to me too, and like most all hobbies, it can get expensive!
    I have a set I like and I'm trying to get some better cymbals. I've tried a couple of different kinds and still haven't found "that" one that just blows me away. I did find a, I can't spell it right, zildjan, at GC that I really liked the sound of but it was $220 and i didn't have the cash right then. It was a faster crash than I have and the sustain wasn't as long as what I now have. It just sounded good to me.

Thanks for the reply!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    Sometimes I play along with whatever songs are on the radio.
    I don't have a good sound system in the house, but I have satellite radio in my truck and it has a great system with Bose speakers. it sounds like I'm actually at a concert listening.

I would like to get a new receiver for my room and I already have a great set of speakers to hook up to it.
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    Hobby drummer,have a small "room" I made in the basement by hanging carpet+underlay from the rafters just big enough for my 8 pc and cymbals.love to get down there every day for 45mins to a hour..very addicting, I look on cl for cymbals or drumstuff that i cant afford (and the wife wouldn't let me get anything else yet for a while).every time I get somthing I say ok that's it my kit is done but I'm on cl the next day lol
    You sound like me with the CL and Ebay searching lol!

I need to try that carpet trick because to me, it sounds like I need something to mellow out the sound since my room is so small. One complete wall is hardbacks and they don't really absorb any sound.

What's your favorite type of music to play to?
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I haven't played in a band in over a year now. I'll either just jam, no background music. Or find drumless tracks on YT. Very rarely the bass player from my band will come over and we'll jam.
    If I remember correctly, you did play in a metal band at one time, right?

....And you had a new young'un a while back.

I haven't found any drumless tracks yet, but I would love to find some and play with them.

I have been using the songs on my Ipod and breaking them apart with Audacity to help me learn them better.

Are you strictly into metal or do you like a lot of different stuff?
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I play every weekend in my band, either a gig or practice, and sometimes once during the week as well. As a result, I never play drums at home. I really SHOULD however....I could certainly use the practice. All my "home drum" time is spent working on my project drum kits. On the flip side, I usually play guitar for an hour every day.
    I would love to work on project kits, but I haven't been lucky enough to score any good ones so far.

I bet it's fun to play in a band with the comraderie and such. I don't know many music people here but I try to get out and meet some. Since I live here in Memphis, the Blues is big here and sometimes we go to Clarksdale Miss at GroundZero and listen to some good blues there. Nashville is only a little over 2 hours away, so I always have the option of driving up and listening to some good music there too.

Clarksdale has gotten pretty dangerous so I don't go there as often as I would like. The last time there I saw a young band with a brother and the sister was the guitar player and the singer and they were FANTASTIC!

I see your name has Bluz in it so i assume you love the blues too?
    Take care and seeya!

Jim