Thread: headphones

User Info Menu

Default headphones

Ok since I am fairly new to all this ,I have a question about playing along to music.
    I notice headphones are usually worn by the drummer but yet in the video's you can hear the music..

Im just curious why the drummer is wearing headphones?

User Info Menu

maybe they're protective earphones to prevent ear damage?
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I wore headphones on stage for years and always kept their volume at a reasonable level. I think that's one of the reasons why I still have excellent hearing after all this time.
    No, I still won't play Wipe Out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    maybe they're protective earphones to prevent ear damage?
    i thought that was it but then I see chords atattched

User Info Menu

Default headphones

Quote Originally Posted by aunkster View Post
    Ok since I am fairly new to all this ,I have a question about playing along to music.
    I notice headphones are usually worn by the drummer but yet in the video's you can hear the music..

Im just curious why the drummer is wearing headphones?
    The mix is coming through the board as well as his headphones. You're hearing the final mix. The drummer is more than likely listening to the music with a click track.

User Info Menu

So that's why every musician BUT the drummer screws up on stage lol.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

^ Lol
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Default Re: headphones

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    The mix is coming through the board as well as his headphones. You're hearing the final mix. The drummer is more than likely listening to the music with a click track.
    I use them for a monitor, instead of a wedge cranked to some ridiculous volume. The phones provides decent attenuation and I can control the mix level as well as my vocal monitor level via a personal monitor mixer. Works like a charm.

User Info Menu

Interesting thread, I learned some new things today.
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bruarm View Post
    I use them for a monitor, instead of a wedge cranked to some ridiculous volume. The phones provides decent attenuation and I can control the mix level as well as my vocal monitor level via a personal monitor mixer. Works like a charm.

i do the same. invest in a good pair of phones and you won't be sorry!

User Info Menu

I can almost guarantee if you want the best sounding head phones, get Grado Labs SR series. I have the SR80's (they have 60, 80, 125, 225, R1, and more), 80's have more low end response, tonal quality, and sound staging than the 60's, and the 125's just have more high end than the 80's - something not so desired when the 80's are top notch already. The R1's are $1000. The SR80s I bought new on ebay for $113 all together. Even high end car audio systems with 1000W front stage's don't have the sound quality nor staging. As long as you have an equalizer and ample power to these cans, they'll last a lifetime and you'll be happier than a mofo rocking these. The difference between other headphones, even of higher value, is shocking, before these, I didn't know sound quality.

HEIL GRADO LABS!!!!!

User Info Menu

the drummer is wearing headphones because of music technology
    the keyboard player wants to use his midi sequencer, because they cant play properly, the guitar player wants a digital delay, and the only way to sync everything is to feed a click track to the drummer..

if you have a good listento some of creedence you will hear that they never played to a click track - they just played.. the music rate speeds up in many songs, and sounded much better.

User Info Menu

I know when I am on stage, I use them for monitors and well as to protect my ears, I use the Vic First stereo Isolation headphones, and they are wonderful to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DWdrumr View Post
    I know when I am on stage, I use them for monitors and well as to protect my ears, I use the Vic First stereo Isolation headphones, and they are wonderful to me.
    i love that vic firth headset! really nice...i use a Bose noise-cancelling headset...

Generally, the drummers you see wearing headsets are wearing them for a monitor. They also provide hearing protection from ear-splitting rings and cracks...
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by r00n View Post
    the keyboard player wants to use his midi sequencer, because they cant play properly,
    LOL...

I worked with a band where they just wanted the music a lot fuller so they programmed all these sequenced tracks with many more instruments, to play along with. You could only do the gig if you were comfortable with the click. My ear buds kept falling out so I had to go to headphones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I worked with a band where they just wanted the music a lot fuller so they programmed all these sequenced tracks with many more instruments, to play along with. You could only do the gig if you were comfortable with the click. My ear buds kept falling out so I had to go to headphones.

i wouldnt enjoy this show drummer - sorry to say that.
    You don't go to a show to hear a midi sequencer. i would prefer to pay for a soloist show. Im listening to the music and thinking "where is that trumpet and sax coming from"?

The timing is too perfect and lifeless.

Its even worse when your looking up on stage to check out a good kit and there is only a recorded drum machine --- aaaaaahhhhhhhh that hurts bad.

User Info Menu

I always thought that Keith Moon wore them because he was getting messages from aliens..........