Thread: Back in the studio...again

User Info Menu

Default Back in the studio...again

We just scheduled time to record our third album. I just laid down tracks for our demo album on Monday...and now we'll put it in stone next month. Every single time I've walked into the studio, I get depressed thinking about how long it takes, how much sitting around I do, and how many re-takes, input from others, and listening back goes into recording. It sucks, I hate it! How do others deal with showing up early, mic'ing and getting a good sound, tinkering? More importantly, how does everyone deal with the boredom/waiting around?!
    I can't stand it and I'm already having anxiety about it. Ugh

User Info Menu

Default Re: Back in the studio...again

I was very nervous the first time I was in the studio behind a drum kit. Money was tight and there was little room for error. It was also my first time playing to a click. The pressure was on. But our guitar player was (is?) a total goofball and he makes it tough not to laugh. We had a good time.

We tracked a demo at a different studio about a year after that and it STUNK. The mood was crap. The guy in charge STUNK and we just had a generally bad time. Final product reflects that.

Third time in the studio to track would would be our 2nd and last EP was a BLAST. I hadn't played drums for a month leading up to that. (Bad idea? Good idea?) I had broken my foot, my right foot, so I was unable to play. So I wasn't very prepared. But it turned out well. I was loose. I had fun and just played. Didn't rehearse like I did for the first EP and it came out smooth and organic, I think.

Yeah the retakes are tough. I got frustrated on a few parts where my stamina wasn't up to par. But we got through it and had a good time.

As for downtime? I didn't have any. I recorded over 30 hours of footage from the studio. So any time I wasn't drumming I was behind the camera shooting.

User Info Menu

Well, my experience has been completely different. I haven't done a whole lot of studio work, admittedly. But...I love studio work. I love to see the evolution of a song from nothing or maybe an initial concept and then to see how cool it evolves into finished product. And more than anything, when I get the CD/download/whatever, to know that's me on the drums...such a rush.

Good luck with the project.

Tex

User Info Menu

Furthermore I can't listen to my own stuff after it's done. At least not very often. All I hear is stuff I want to change.

User Info Menu

I think for me, the hardest part (and this has been true with every studio I've recorded in) is being in an isolated room by myself and waiting...and waiting...and waiting. Then the engineer comes in and moves something. Okay, let's try another take...silence. Then play, then wait ...okay, let's try this, let's try that. Then wait. sit around...ahhh. I can't stand it. But, I think it should be a fun environment and maybe that's what's been missing from our albums...fun. It's been too serious. I like that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Furthermore I can't listen to my own stuff after it's done. At least not very often. All I hear is stuff I want to change.
    Oh I'm here too, but I still love it overall.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    I think for me, the hardest part (and this has been true with every studio I've recorded in) is being in an isolated room by myself and waiting...and waiting...and waiting. Then the engineer comes in and moves something. Okay, let's try another take...silence. Then play, then wait ...okay, let's try this, let's try that. Then wait. sit around...ahhh. I can't stand it. But, I think it should be a fun environment and maybe that's what's been missing from our albums...fun. It's been too serious. I like that
    Seems the exact opposite of my experience. We found a studio and a guy who we jived with very well and he let us do our thing. We were loose and had a great time.

Just watch any of the studio vids I've posted on this forum.

User Info Menu

I absolutely love being in the studio. Something about recording just makes you feel good inside.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I absolutely love being in the studio. Something about recording just makes you feel good inside.
    I dont get that feeling. LOL.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post

I dont get that feeling. LOL.

I'm with Mark^^^^^on this 1. To me, there is nothing like playing live.

User Info Menu

The last two times I've been in the studio my band has recorded the drums and guitar tracks live then put bass, guitar leads and vocals on after so there wasn't much standing around for me, we practiced 2-3 times the week before we recorded and ironed out all the little details so there was no confusion when we were in the studio.

I deal with the down time by chain smoking cigarettes and once I'm done recording I celebrate with a beer or six!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    Every single time I've walked into the studio, I get depressed thinking about how long it takes, how much sitting around I do, and how many re-takes, input from others, and listening back goes into recording. It sucks, I hate it!
    WOW...................we are polar opposites.
    I love spending days and days in the studio.
    I've been involved in dozens of recording gigs and I always have a rewarding experience.

Perhaps if you would go about it in a different way...............we always rent the studio for the entire day (or two -- or three). We generally show up 11-ish in the morning and plan on working until 9 or 10 into the evening.
    We bring sandwiches, snacks, vodka, orange juice, beer, and anything else.
    We know we are going to be living there for the day and to make the most of our time.

We always show up fully rehearsed and ready to lay down tracks as soon as possible -- but -- open-minded enough to be ready to change an approach when it appears there might be some good options to try.................very positive...............not negative.

For me personally...............we always get the drum track down first and it allows me to work at the board for the remainder of the day............which I find simply fascinating...............especially when we do the edits.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)