Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No more expensive moon gel for me.

User Info Menu

Default Re: No more expensive moon gel for me.

Cool! I have had the sticky hands before.

User Info Menu

I have never had the need for gel. Not even one time in the past 30 some years.I say all you need is some god tuning.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    I say all you need is some god tuning.

I have nothing nice to say to this worn out comment other than good on you bud, I will continue to try and learn to tune. I am not a life long drummer but always looking to learn.
    Thanks.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I have nothing nice to say to this worn out comment other than good on you bud, I will continue to try and learn to tune. I am not a life long drummer but always looking to learn.
    Thanks.
    Ditto. The room I have my kit in is huge and I get a lot of strange overtones. I've tried tuning a billion different ways and the only way I can get my snares to sound right is by throwing one moon gel on them. My rack toms on the other hand sound good wide open. I dunno. Guess I'm an idiot.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Guess I'm an idiot.
    I would have to add to this and say...

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    I have never had the need for gel. Not even one time in the past 30 some years.I say all you need is some god tuning.
    I didn't even realize god was a drummer. He probably has some serious chops though.

User Info Menu

I like Moongel because it's quick & easy. I have my toms tuned wide open....and I play them that way when I want the sound to carry in certain instances. If it's a small venue or low volume place, or if I just want that deader sound, it way easier to throw some gels on it. Smooth concrete floors really seem to reflect the toms, as opposed to a place with carpet. Sometimes I even change between songs.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    I didn't even realize god was a drummer. He probably has some serious chops though.
    yep.....and he played Gretsch. At least until DW bought them.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Ya, Buddy Rich taught him.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I've seen this before too. They work just as well as moongel, at least for a while. I don't know how long they last. I only ever use one piece of moongel on my snare, and then a piece on each of my cowbells...toms are unmuted.

User Info Menu

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Ditto. The room I have my kit in is huge and I get a lot of strange overtones. I've tried tuning a billion different ways and the only way I can get my snares to sound right is by throwing one moon gel on them. My rack toms on the other hand sound good wide open. I dunno. Guess I'm an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I would have to add to this and say...

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

My apologies to you guys. I was in no way shape or for putting down anyone who does use them.I am fortunate enough to still be playing the set I got in the 70's and it's a good set.

When I first started playing I spent countless hours tuning my snare until I finally got it to where I liked it. Now I just know what I like and how to achieve it.

Just like most drum related topics there is a lot of personal preference that plays a big role. To use or not use is no right or wrong way only your preference.

And I agree with Bish.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

User Info Menu

NP bud I don't want it too seem I am bashing ya as I really am not that sensitive about things (I mean come on I have ducklings on my toms : ) I just get tired of hearing that comment. I appreciate 99% of your posts and hope there are no hard feelings. If we ever meet in person I have no doubt you could show me a thing or 2 on tuning and drumming in general. Peace.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

NP bud I don't want it too seem I am bashing ya as I really am not that sensitive about things (I mean come on I have ducklings on my toms : ) I just get tired of hearing that comment. I appreciate 99% of your posts and hope there are no hard feelings. If we ever meet in person I have no doubt you could show me a thing or 2 on tuning and drumming in general. Peace.
    Everything's good. My reply went out to anyone that thought I looked down on the moon gel users. I didn't want it to sound that way.

There a lot of personal preference to drumming. Wood tip vs nylon tip. Rack vs stands. BD patch or no BD patch. Moon gel or none. Etc etc. No right way or wrong way just what's comfy for the guy playing his drums.
    slot # 1

BE COUNTED!

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team