We all get criticism from time to time, negative individuals are everywhere, and some poeple just adore knocking stuff! Had some myself from a random recently, who told me I was a cr*p drummer - no obvious reason, no justification, just that I was cr*p! Hurt at the time, but after a short period of applying some logic (I'm not cr*p, I have been playing for several years, depping in several styles, teaching and always have punterss jumping around when we gig!!), I have pretty easily dismissed it as just random negativity! Fortunately I get many more positive comments and support from family, friends and (importantly) audience members!!
A good friend also pointed out that if you perform in anyway, be it live on stage, on social media, blogs, videos whatever, you open yourself up to criticism - from the mildest to the downright unreasonable!
The point of this post was to ask if any of you guys have ever recieved negative remarks or random criticism, and what your reaction was? Do you think there is a culture of knocking peoples efforts? How do you you deal with it and move on? How do you sort the constructive cricitism from the fools who just like to be rude? Whats the worst thing said to you? Just out of interest really!!
I guess I don't get the rudeness thing, I don't do it because I believe every musician is somewhere on their own journey, and deserves encouragement. Plus, its unwise to get critical, there will always be someone out there who is better than you!!
(Just to clarify - I'm not looking for a "there there" cuddle, or having smoke blown up my *rse! I turn the negative nonsense into fuel, drives me on to get better and better )