Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How hard do you hit?

User Info Menu

Default Re: How hard do you hit?

Given that I generally play metal, I am a very hard hitter. But thankfully for using proper technique, I haven't cracked a cymbal in almost 20 years. The heads hold up very well too.

Sticks, on the other hand, are a very different story lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBowman View Post
    Given that I generally play metal, I am a very hard hitter. But thankfully for using proper technique, I haven't cracked a cymbal in almost 20 years. The heads hold up very well too.

Sticks, on the other hand, are a very different story lol.
    That's good stuff man. It's rare to find rock/metal drummers who know how to hit a cymbal properly. Do you use the swipe technique or the light touch crash? I've found myself jumping around both of those for years.
    "Now you're singing with a swing"

User Info Menu

I used to beat the ever living snot out of my drums. But twenty years later, I am a bit more gentle. I used to break 2b sticks, dent and break heads all the time, but was fortunate not to crack any "good" cymbals. By "good" I'm referring to cast cymbals. I did do plenty of damage to sheet bronze cymbals. Now I'm actually excited when I break a stick!!!!! Although it's usually just the wood tips breaking, and not the stick snapping in the middle. I agree with other posters that you have to HIT the drums to get the full tone out of them, but at a certain point, cymbals do not get any louder by striking them harder.

User Info Menu

Funny, because I can draw sweet tone out of my Gretsch USA drums at any volume. I'm hoping that one day I can be so disciplined as to be able to play diplomats on all the drums.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I'm a firm beleiver that if you go in belting the hell out the drums, you have no where to go with it. I try to play to the song, some songs call for more drive than others, so I will hit harder where its necessary, but almost never break sticks or cymbals.
    Interestingly went to watch a friends band a week or so ago, who had a dep drummer. Their regular drummer is vary tasteful, with some awesome chops. The guy they had depping was a thrasher, hit the snare like he was beating the poor thing to death!! Totally changed the dynamic of the music, and not in a good way. Tunes that normally have feeling became shouty, and a lot of the dynamics were lost as the other musicians played harder/louder to compensate. The drummer was technically reasonably good, just not appropriate to the music.
    I guess thats the key for me, each to their own. My style is not hard hitting, other peoples is (and thats cool), but play the song. Just cos you can hit hard doesn't mean you have to!
    Another point is about hitting smart. You don't have to hammer a drum to get a shout from it. Hit it properly in the sweet spot, whip the the stick and hit through the head, you will get a much louder bark than taking a run up, bringing your stick over your head and belting it so hard your feet come off the floor!
    Last edited by mauned; 04-14-2015 at 06:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by makeemsing View Post
    That's good stuff man. It's rare to find rock/metal drummers who know how to hit a cymbal properly. Do you use the swipe technique or the light touch crash? I've found myself jumping around both of those for years.
    actually, I think it's a combination of having good quality cymbals, having them tilted correctly, and not bashing the heck out of them. I use pretty much all wrist action. Back in the day, I would look like Dave Grohl in his Nirvana days when I played, but I'm muuuuch more reserved now. And I actually play just as hard now but properly....save energy AND equipment.

Also can't afford to shell out $200 for a crash cymbal lol

I go through sticks pretty frequently (always seem to break in the middle)...but I can replace them muuch easier than cymbals, etc.

User Info Menu

I don't hit hard at all. In my teens I think I did. But one thing that I learned over the years is that you don't need to hit the drums hard to get the sound you need. I also think striking hard tenses you up (it did for me at least in my teens, which is why I got out of doing it). I've been playing loose and relaxed for the past 20 or so years and I still get the same volume that I did when I was hitting them harder. Only now I can play more fluently, faster and for longer periods of time.

User Info Menu

Last edited by EyePea; 04-14-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    I'm not a hard hitter. I never broke a drum stick in my life.
    This basically sums up what I was going to say!

User Info Menu

I play fairly loud at times but not to the point of breaking a head. I'm a firm believer in not beating the snot out of my instrument.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mauned View Post
    I'm a firm beleiver that if you go in belting the hell out the drums, you have no where to go with it.
    +1 If you want dynamics in your playing, you can't always hit them hard. I guess I would rate myself as generally in the medium category - good solid stroke, but with some restraint. I can play light for those situations that require it. I find it much more challenging to play 'harder'. Technique starts to suffer - not keeping the wrists loose etc. - usually end up cramping somewhere. I also find the best tone is realized from my drums with a medium stroke. To my ears, nothing is gained by hitting the drum as hard as I possibly can.

User Info Menu

Granted, I'm still a relative newbie, but I simply can't imagine hitting the drums very hard. It's a combination of thinking that it won't get them much louder than just solid strokes, and the thought that I don't want to beat the heck out of them. After all, what did they ever do to me ��
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Granted, I'm still a relative newbie, but I simply can't imagine hitting the drums very hard. It's a combination of thinking that it won't get them much louder than just solid strokes, and the thought that I don't want to beat the heck out of them. After all, what did they ever do to me ��

"After all, what did they ever do to me ��"

Give them time.

User Info Menu

I'lll be the first to admit... I'm a heavy hitter.. sometimes I get excited and just pound on my drums. Poor things...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I'lll be the first to admit... I'm a heavy hitter.. sometimes I get excited and just pound on my drums. Poor things...
    That's me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

When I first started I would bash the heck out of my drums…id lose drum sticks after 5 minutes and cymbals didn't last and cracked. I literally had to start over and began training myself to play with proper technique. Since I have got to the point that my technique is good I haven't broken a drum stick in over 15 years! Technique allows you to play with power but not hammer the crap out of the drums.

User Info Menu

You hit hard (or soft) enough to make maximum effect of the dynamics of the song you are playing.

No more, no less.

Anybody, regardless of the style music they play, should play only as loud as the music calls for, or as soft.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    You hit hard (or soft) enough to make maximum effect of the dynamics of the song you are playing.

No more, no less.

Anybody, regardless of the style music they play, should play only as loud as the music calls for, or as soft.
    Simple

all the best...