Thread: Learning the basic jazz samba

User Info Menu

Default Learning the basic jazz samba

I started learning the basic jazz samba tonight out of Tommy Igo's books that I have. Of course its hard so I am taking it slow and really started to enjoy it. Thank God I can read music and also am watching different videos on youtube. Next I want to make a video of me playing the basic jazz samba once I get good at it. And then I want to branch out and learn some other new beats.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Learning the basic jazz samba

Hey man that's cool..I got that Igo book as well..it's just I've been busy learning other stuff..I tried to learn a samba off a youtube video a while back and saw that it was kind of tricky getting all those moving parts coordinated together. I guess I'll save it for later and just stick to the low hanging fruit for now lol..

But all those old beats are good to know I feel anyways.Hey even Ian Paice based his groove for "Hush" off a samba beat.

User Info Menu

It took me days to learn a basic samba beat. I had to set the metronome real slow and count everything out. I can play it faster now but it took a week or two to get it going good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    It took me days to learn a basic samba beat. I had to set the metronome real slow and count everything out. I can play it faster now but it took a week or two to get it going good.
    Me too

all the best...

User Info Menu

Hope you don't mind me chiming in, but I've been doing a lot of work with the samba in school and playing sambas in general! Not sure if you have the Syncopation for the Modern Drummer book, but use that book to practice sambas. Essentially do this:

Ride cymbal pattern (1 2 and 3 4 and 1, straight not swung), bossa/samba foot (1 2 and three 4 and 1), then play lines from the book with your left hand. It'll help you do the samba stuff. Then practice triplets with your left hand (eighths, quarter), and all that stuff with both hands. The rudimental ritual will help, too. Doing that for a few weeks has helped me be able to keep the foot pattern going non-stop, play the beat, and do fills that really play with the time.

Attached I also put a samba pattern that is super common. Note that the third note in the pattern (the eighth note) is sometimes a dotted quarter note instead of an eighth and quarter. Depends how you want to play it!

Last edited by ZackPomerleau; 04-24-2015 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Better image.

User Info Menu

In college I started my studies in Jazz and Cuban. If you can learn these you can play anything.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=SpazApproved;642906]In college I started my studies in Jazz and Cuban. If you can learn these you can play anything.[/QUOTEL]

Last semester I took private lessons with a drummer from Chile who specializes in Afro-Cuban styles, and he had me join the latin ensemble. It was the most challenging musical endeavor of my life. I often left defeated. It requires an incredible amount of 4-way coordination, but as time has gone by it certainly shows in my playing. I definitely recommend learning some of it. The rhythms are very applicable in jazz and funk.