Thread: great gretsch drums sound

User Info Menu

Default great gretsch drums sound

christmas is coming and its time to make a choice so ive decided to get a gretsch. ive narrowed it down to the catalina maple, our the catallina club rock. im a huge john bonham fan, the catalina rock offers me all the big sizes but its made out of mahogany, and i like the maple but it comes in fusion sizes so i think im goining to get the mahogany set i just need to ask guys one question will the mahogany shells give me that vintage sound i am looking for.

User Info Menu

Go for the maple shell dude. It's one of the best Gretsch products out there.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Roachmon, here's a good article on drum shell construction. If you go to the bottom of the article, it will talk about the most common woods.

http://www.drumjunction.com/drum_shells.html

I would also say that if you have not physically put your sticks on the kits that you are considering, you are making a mistake. No matter what anyone else says, the final decision must be yours, and must be based on the sound that you love. Keep in mind, that tuning can influence the sound that you get, and if this is just your "John Bonham phase," you might want to consider that a kit purchased for one type of sound might be limiting when you grow to wanting to include others sounds as well.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thats the best advice we can give people that ask us what kit to get.... Listen out for what you like best. because simply there is no best. there is a general what is better. But again you may think a maple export kit sounds better than a birch masters. Mainly because you like maple better.

Lol we give the same advice every time... :P And i have learnt it too. If we look at good quality recordings and actually play higher quality kits you will learn what it is to change to the sound ya want.... Once you understand that you should be able to order your own custom kit online never playing it before :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

my drum inscrutcor told me to go to a guitar center and ask them to set them up he said as long as i act ime running the show and im defiantley going to kit one of the two kits they will set each one up and let me play on them and then i can make my disicion

User Info Menu

Cool great gretsch sound...

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    Thats the best advice we can give people that ask us what kit to get.... Listen out for what you like best. because simply there is no best. there is a general what is better. But again you may think a maple export kit sounds better than a birch masters. Mainly because you like maple better.

Lol we give the same advice every time... :P And i have learnt it too. If we look at good quality recordings and actually play higher quality kits you will learn what it is to change to the sound ya want.... Once you understand that you should be able to order your own custom kit online never playing it before :P
    It's worth repeating, mate...listen, play and trust your ears...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roachmon View Post
    my drum inscrutcor told me to go to a guitar center and ask them to set them up he said as long as i act ime running the show and im defiantley going to kit one of the two kits they will set each one up and let me play on them and then i can make my disicion
    Good for your teacher! Take your own sticks with you. It makes you look more like you've done it before, and know exactly what you are doing. Then, before you play the kits, sit down and and just strike each drum, listening for the sound. Notice where is kit is set up, because where they are in the room can affect the sound that you hear. Once you have done that on both kits, ask a sales person to sit behind the kit while you step away, and have them stricke each drum (not play), so that you can hear them as an audience would. Finally, play each set if you feel comfortable (by now, you'll probably have every salesperson in the room watching you, because they suspect that you really know what your doing. I got this advice off the "Drum Tuning Bible" site, and used it when I got my kit. http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/id10.html It doesn't always work, because different stores are set up differently, but it is a good general way to go.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

just a little side note here. i was tryin to play an electric kit at the local music store yesterday and the head phone jack wasnt working so he said, well just use this amp.. and everyone in the store could here my play, it was kinda scary. but you gotta force urself to zone out and just play.

User Info Menu

Good point, Lafirin. Taking chances is how we grow!

User Info Menu

That is some really good advice when shopping for a new set...take your own sticks with you. After reading the posts above I am definately going to test more kits. I sort of know I want the Catalina Maple, and I've heard it played, but I haven't played it yet, which makes all the difference in the world. And the Guitar Center by me had Evans EC2's on their Catalina Maple, so that makes a difference. Looks like I have a lot to remember from way back and some new stuff to learn and apply.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dprice4 View Post
    Looks like I have a lot to remember from way back and some new stuff to learn and apply.
    But then, that's half the fun, isn't it?

User Info Menu

Oh Yeah!! It is! It's a pleasure learnnig from ya'll!

The knowledge being shared and items being discussed are amazing.