Thread: Remo bass drum mufflers.

User Info Menu

Default Remo bass drum mufflers.

Does anyone know anything about Remo's "MUFF'L RING" bass drum muffler/dampers? Are they any good?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Remo bass drum mufflers.

Quote Originally Posted by Old returning drummer View Post
    Does anyone know anything about Remo's "MUFF'L RING" bass drum muffler/dampers? Are they any good?
    I used them in the late eighties / early nineties, before there was the selection of pre-muffled heads we have today. They muffle your bass drum alot.............kind of like an EMAD with the thick ring............I still like that bass drum sound.

User Info Menu

Yes , I have heard and seen them but I still prefer the pillow.

User Info Menu

I used them for a while, but just didn't like the sound as much as something like a PS4. The thick foam ring behind the head seemed to take away too much impact and resonance. The resulting sound was a bit on the muddled side.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pearl mcx man View Post
    yes , i have heard and seen them but i still prefer the pillow.
    +1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Old returning drummer View Post

I've used it and did not like it. Exactly like gdmoore28 said. I did use it with all of the foam and did not experiment removing some as an option. I have not used it in awhile but I think remembering it installed directly on the bearing edge which was not so good IMO. Then the batter head and hoop. I believe it was like a very thin plastic tray with the foam set in it. (you can see some of the plastic tray at top of bass drum) It may have been better if I took the foam ring out of it, tossed the tray and glued the foam to the inside of the batter head now that I think about it.

The EMAD with the thick ring sounds much better.
    I don't use a pillow, rather just an Emad batter and on the reso, a felt strip.
    A pillow can be fine too with many ways to experiment placing it.

Everything is trial and error with this kind of thing. Maybe you may personally like Remo's Muff'l ring. Try something and experiment.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 04-16-2015 at 11:25 PM.

User Info Menu

I think the ring is a little more committal. With a pillow, you can add or take away as you please.

all the best...