Thread: Vocals through head phones instead of PA?

User Info Menu

Default Vocals through head phones instead of PA?

Hello everyone!

So basically I am starting up a new band and we don't have a lot of equipment. I was looking around for a PA system when I started wondering if we really needed one. I'm curious if anyone knows a way to directly run a mic through a computer and have it play back the vocals via head phones.

Does anyone know if something like this is possibly/what equipment would I need? The practide were using is rather small and I don't think a PA would work well.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Fred

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vocals through head phones instead of PA?

probably need more info....For my personal use, where i'm the only guy wearing headphones, I use a Blue Yeti USB mic. It has a headphone jack on it, and I set it up in the room to hear everything going on in the room, but that includes a pa system with speakers......i don't think that's going to work for you though....you want 1 mic, 1 computer, vocals through headphones only? How about 1 Blue Yeti mic, headphone jack out of computer into a headphone amp....but that's only a room mic, not one that you're gonna hear vocals over guitqar amps/drums

How about a mixer, everything mic'ed up, into board, output into headphone amp? You'll need many mics...vocals and instruments too.......
    Its a tough one......over to the next person now!

User Info Menu

If you are just practicing you can get an Audio-Technica ATR-1100 or similar microphone - it has a high impedance output and 1/4 inch jack so you can plug it into a guitar amp. It costs about USA $ 12.

A PA will sound a lot better though.

Or you could get a small mixer - a 4 or 8 channel mixer is very handy, costs about $ 50 - 100. Plug the microphone into the mixer, plug headphones into the mixer. If you ever want to perform for an audience then get a powered speaker, connect it to the mixer.

User Info Menu

I have a mixer connected to a powered headphone amp that will handle 4 channels separately. When I was in a band that used electronic drums we were able to connect everything through the mixer and send the output to the headphone amp.

This way ALL electronic sounds went through the mixer into the headphone amp and the only thing anyone would hear (without headphones) was the tapping of the drum pads and the vocals-mainly because you can't fully suppress your voice.

Here's what we used.

If you look at the top of the rack just above the mixer you can barely make out the headphone amp. It's fully connected within the rack and connected all the time. It also has pass through for going to the PA amplification as well as in combination.

Here's what the device looks like up close. It's a very good investment. I've had mine for many years and find I use it a lot.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

User Info Menu

Headphone amp/splitter or Jamhub