Thread: stop the vibration?

User Info Menu

Default stop the vibration?

when I hit the bass drum it vibrates the snare wires and its quite loud,any suggestions?? Also when I hit the bass pedal it tends to want to bounce.Its a pearl pedal,do I just need to practice more?
    Last edited by drummerguy; 10-22-2007 at 06:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Keep your foot stationary on the pedal. I usually keep my beater really close to the head as I'm not using it so I don't get that bouncy effect.
    Usually when you get unwanted vibrations like that it means that one of your resonant heads is tuned to the same frequency as your snare side. Toy around with the reso and batter of your kick and see if that helps. If it doesn't then tighten the snare wire to give it more tension.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

cool thanks I did and it worked but now I hope it is in tune,I just tuned them all by ear,hope its close.

User Info Menu

Cool stop the vibration?

good call, 32--but you don't want the snare wires so tight that they cut into the reso head...that can also create rattles when you don't want them and choke the sound of the snares...

Trial and error is the key, drummerguy...if you have a drumming buddy who's willing to help you, let him; that way you'll have some experience to guide you in gettin' everything the way you want it.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Tune your kick first, then work on your snare. I just spent 2hours getting rid of the buzz yesterday lol
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Sympathic buzz fixed by working with the reso heads eh? I thought I had to re-tune my toms to fix mine. I like how the toms and snares are indipenently tuned, and didn't want to mess anything up. Oddly enough both my 12 and 13 inch toms do it to a certain degree. This is why I love this place... oh yeah, and all the great people....
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.